Monday, April 16, 2012

Recipe: Apricot Coconut Almond Bars

Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)

I saw this recipe in my my favorite magazine, Whole Living, and knew I had to try it. I've been trying to make 1-2 new recipes every week to add to my arsenal of kiddo/adult friendly fare (see last week's quiche here), and I loved the idea of making my own bars. I also love the idea of having something somewhat healthy yet still sweet to grab rather than a processed granola bar or cereal bar for Henry.

If you end up making these, let me know what you think. I just enjoyed a square with a cup of tea and it was delicious!

Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)

You'll need:

1 1/2 cups dried apricots
1/2 cup raw almonds (I used ones that were pre-sliced)
2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
Coarse salt
1/2 oz dark chocolate, melted (this is optional- if I did it again I would omit the chocolate)
parchment paper
9-by-5-inch loaf pan

Directions:

1. Pulse apricots, almonds, coconut, and a pinch of salt in a food processor until finely ground.

Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)

2. Line your loaf pan with parchment, leaving an inch overhand on all sides. Transfer mix to pan and press firmly to form a rectangle.

Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)

3. Drizzle with chocolate and sprinkle with some coconut. Use parchment overhang to remove from pan.

Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)

4. Transfer to the refrigerator and leave until firm, about 15 minutes or so. Slice into 6 bars, and then into 12 square pieces. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)
Chocolate Apricot-Coconut-Nut Bars (recipe on blog)

Per serving (1 square): 88 cals; 4g fat (1g sat fat); 0 mg chol, 12g carbs; 28 mg sodium; 2g protein; 2g fiber.

Enjoy!

30 comments:

  1. These look absolutely divine! Apricots are my fav.

    And, thank you for the link love. It's greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so yummy!
    Im gonna try them.
    Thanks for sharing<3
    xo

    -Darianne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! I'll definitely be giving them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...these sound so good! They would be great for a camping/hiking trip. Too bad my hubby hates coconut. I guess I could substitute with something? :) ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome! I'm Paleo and make my own candy bars and muffins a lot, but these are so much more interesting! I have yet to make a snack bar, and these fit right in with my diet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually said "oh yum!" outloud when I saw this! I'm definitely going to make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look SO good! got to try them. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks amazing! I was following your pics on instagram this mornign and so excited about you posting the recipe. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very yummy! Can I suggest using organic dried apricots for these? The orange ones contain sulfites (which help them retain their orange colour). Just something to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good; I cannot wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am definitely going to try making these. They look about 10 times better than the apricot/almond bars you buy in the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so easy! How great. I can't wait to make these.

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fabulous, new follower!!

    wearefromthecountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, can't wait to try these. I was so motivated and excited about them, I even clicked outside of google reader specially to leave you a comment. Yum yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  15. these look delicious! i have to try this recipe now! love it. thanks : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum they look so good. Unfortunately im sugar free, so I dont eat dried fruit. But so much healthier then the store bought options! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy! It's funny, I went to Trader Joe's today and bought every single one of the ingredients needed for this recipe without reading this post. Definitely something to try!

    <3Hima

    ReplyDelete
  18. These sound delicious!

    Also, i LOVE your measuring cups!! Where can I get those???

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmm, looks delicious! me and my pregnancy cravings may have to make this :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. these are right up our alley! can't wait to try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice, my son will love these. He's absolutely obsessed with dried apricots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to try this out, it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is also a Paleo friendly recipe! I'm excited to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tried making these yesterday and they were delicious! I don't have a food processor, so I tried using a blender (I know...) and it ended up more like a 'crumble' than bars, but they were still awesome! I also broke up pieces of a dark chocolate bar and wedged them throughout the mixture (equalling about one piece of chocolate per square, if there had been squares...ha) and it was a fun addition. Thanks for the great recipe! Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your current artiсle has proven neсessаrу to mуsеlf.
    It’ѕ extremely educаtional and you really аre clearly гeally knowledgeable in this fielԁ.
    You haνe pοpped my pеrѕonal fаce to ԁiffeгent views on thіs sρeсifіc subjеct along with intгіguіng,
    notable and strοng contеnt mаteгial.


    My webρage ... luiscarro.es

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ι like the helpful info you pгοvidе in your
    аrtiсles. Ӏ'll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I'm quite ѕure I will leaгn lotѕ оf
    new ѕtuff rіght here! Βеst of luck fоr the next!


    Revіеw my web-ѕіte; One Day car insurance

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips