Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Very Merry Un-Half-Birthday!

Untitled

"Good morning, my sweet half-birthday boy!"

I got Henry out of his crib this morning with a little more gusto than usual; it was his half-birthday after all, and I was ready to start our day!  I hummed "Happy half-birthday to you, happy half-birthday to you" as I changed his diaper, picked out my favorite cardigan for him to wear, and got him ready for a day of running around town. His half-birthday was technically on Sunday, but since we already had a birthday party to attend that day followed by a busy Monday night, today was day we had designated to celebrate turning 18 months old.

It may sound silly, but it's always been important to us to make fun little family traditions like this. I had them growing up, and I love the idea of having something to look forward to every year...and in this case, every half year! So I went out and bought us two special cupcakes from our favorite local bakery- a coconut flavored one for Henry and a root beer float version for Hank and me to split.

When we got home I started typing up a little blog post too- "Henry: 18 months," and couldn't help but to wax a bit poetic yet again at how quickly time is going by. 18 months. Somehow this half of a year felt shorter than ever, if that was even possible. I took a break from blogging for a moment to upload a photo of the delicious-looking cupcakes to Instagram (Why yes! That is a root beer float cupcake with a mini straw!) and set my phone back down to type some more. A few notification dings later I picked it back up and saw a lot of "Henry was born in October like me! Yay!" and realized that yes, time had gone by very quickly. So quickly in fact, that I had skipped an entire month and was not two days late to celebrate Henry's half-birthday, but actually an entire month early! Oh, Mommy brain.

17-month cupcakes, anyone?

27 comments:

  1. Haha love it! There's nothing wrong with celebrating 17 months AND 18 months. Or just celebrating him for no reason at all. Go take a nap, mama! And enjoy those adorable cup cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find 17 month cupcakes entirely appropriate . . . as are 16 month and 15 month and 14 month . . . and 437 month . . . well life should be celebrated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cupcakes are ALWAYS appropriate

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. so funny. But that's ok, that just means you get to celebrate again next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to pull this one next time I want cupcakes for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha...ok. my youngest son was born the week before henry, and this post actually made me stop short of breath for a second. did i really forget owsley's 18 month? so i was a little relieved as i finished reading this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, this is so completely me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha that's funny! 17 month cupcakes sound great to me though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! Mommy brain happens to me all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny... I was reading this thinking "oh I thought Henry was only a couple days older than my Wyatt but I guess he's a month older". Then I started wondering if I was screwed up and my own kid was 18 months and counted on my fingers before finally getting to the end of your post and.... Aha! 17 months just like mine :) Don't rush me here I'm freaked out by how fast it's going as it ;)

    We all have these whoops moments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. our boys are so close in age!!! I think we ought to do something like this too... Noah just had his half birthday! worth a cupcake, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the sweetest little tradition! I wish I would've had something like that growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, so great. I love it! Happy 17 months Henry :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, I LOVE carrying on and making a fuss (of myself) when it's my half-birthday (25th March). Happy to see someone is equally as nutty. :D

    Happy half-birthday, Henry. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahahaha. Awwww, bless. Mummy brain! Happy 17th Months, Henry. Hope you enjoyed the cupcakes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just had to laugh haha! But what a great mistake to make, mistake cupcakes are bomb! Happy un-half-birthday to Henry! Enjoy all those yummy cupcakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is always a reason to celebrate with cupcakes! Kenton's half birthday is tomorrow! I think I will use your idea & buy him a special donut or something :) -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha. It happens :) That's ok, there's no reason why you can't celebrate early. Those cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha, awww! Although it's a bit early, it's still a great tradition. I love how you take even the smallest milestones and "half-birthdays" and celebrate those!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha I saw the instagram photo, but hadn't realized you'd been so early in the celebrating. oh well, cupcakes for 17 months and 2 days is pretty fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hahaha gotta love that mommy brain!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My family does half-birthdays - religiously. On my half-birthday, my grandma skypes me, sings me half of the birthday song, then stops abruptly.

    Keep it up, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  23. HAHAHAH. That's great Dani! <3 Moments like that are always deserving of a chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, how I love this! Better early than late, right? And now you can do it all again in a month!
    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been telling people that Sonja was over a year and a half because she was 16+ months, then yesterday I realized she was 17 months on the 24th and then realized further that 18 months is the half year mark not 16 uh, I teach art. not math.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips