Friday, April 27, 2012

Weekend Links

May Day picnic
I can't believe this was a year ago! Henry was so tiny. 

Another Friday, another set of links, right? And this is going to sound weird, but I'm going to come right out and say it- I am typing this right now and hearing the Gossip Girl voice in my head. Not even kidding. I'm alllllmost caught up and right at the end of the current season and I'm SO INTO it. No spoilers but I'm right after episode 100 and I just watched three episodes in a row...hence hearing this blog read aloud in the GG voice. Call me crazy, I don't mind.

In other non-television news this week has been a good one. Nothing too notable, just very busy and full of hot yoga which makes me immeasurably happy. And luckily this weekend will be full of family and some pool time. I'm looking forward to seeing the lot where my sister and her husband are building their new house too- I'm so excited for them! I'm going to try to remember to take my camera out and about all weekend so hopefully on Sunday I'll have some fun photos to share. So until then.

oh and p.s., I thought I should tell you all, since I mentioned it in my last links post, that the morning after sharing my "ugh, I hate that my mouth is still swollen and I'm in post-wisdom teeth hell" rant, all pain subsided! It was a wisdom tooth (or lack of) miracle. Hallelujah!


If you read one thing on this list, read this article, and then tell me what you think. Here's the first line: "TO Elisabeth Badinter, educated women who become stay-at-home moms have lost their minds." There's so much to say about this, but I'm curious to hear what you all think too. Thanks to Jillian for emailing it to me.

Head over to this post to see if you're the winner of the Homegrown giveaway. If you weren't the winner, you can get 15% off your order using code "sweet 15."

You either like me or you don't. I love this simple quote.

I can't wait to see this.

10 pretty party inspirations.

This dress is so gorgeous, along with the rest of next season's line.

I love this idea of a homemade body scrub as favor gifts- they'd also make great Mother's Day presents.

Sponsor love: pop over and say hi to Meadow Creek.

This is the cutest nursery I've seen, pretty much ever.

And speaking of kiddo rooms, aren't these DIY hot air balloons great?

Peach Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake. Just yes! 

Lauren's 5 Things on a Friday are always good.

Pretty amazing art.

Kelli is over on A Beautiful Mess sharing some style tips. 

How Do You Define Success? Any interesting read over on Vanessa's blog.

I want to live here.

30 things every woman should have and know by the time she turns 30. Hmmm. What do you think?

Boston Terriers are the cutest dogs ever. I may be biased, but just look at this. Too adorable.

Some items I'd love to have in my closet, striped edition: one and two!

And finally, this makes you really stop and think...check out this Dad's time lapse video of his daughter growing up- from birth to age 12. What dedication!


  1. Oh that article! Those "gains" she speaks of in the 80's, were the rejection of natural motherhood. I cant even wrap my head around reconciling my role as a mother. I belong with my babys. Go ahead and call me an animal. Lol

  2. I read a really good takedown of Elisabeth Badinter on Slate this morning written by pro-mom-blogger Katie Granju calling her out for her put down of SAHMs and specifically breastfeeding as she's been employed by Nestle's formula division for years and has a HUGE personal investment in the formula industry. I think it's a pretty valuable perspective to keep in mind when reading her stuff - she's *literally* gaining financially when moms don't breastfeed.

    Here's the article:

  3. I LOVE that nursery! I secretly want twins, haha. The stay at home mom article was definately interesting. I'm not sure how I feel. I don't have children yet, but I always wanted to be a stay at home mom. I'm not sure I will be able to, but that article sorta makes me feel better about it. She has some good points, but she also makes some that I don't really agree with. Thanks for sharing :)

  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    1. Some of Badinter's thinking has merit; for example, the unnecessary preoccupation with perfectionism in contemporary motherhood. However, she is writing from a very limited perspective of white middle-class feminism. She ignores that all to often women of color and low-income women are forced into employment as single-parents or due to welfare-to-work requirements who don't have the luxury to choose to stay-at-home. And I agree that women are at a disadvantage who work, and are not free to completely fulfill themselves in the workplace, if they follow the recommendations of doctors, such as breastfeeding exclusively for six months. But isn’t a better solution to change the workplace?

      Also, I see attachment parenting as very compatible with feminism because it is a style of parenting allowing women to perform parenting within their everyday lives. When babies are breastfed, co-sleeping and carried they’re potentially very portable. You can be caring for your baby while also getting shit done. Also, attachment parenting is supposed to be about attending to, listening to, and encouraging reciprocal communication with a child. It is about respecting the full humanity of a person regardless of their abilities, age and status. And that’s feminism, too.

  5. Yikes. The comments on that moms article are getting heated. Maybe it's because I'm not a mother, but I wasn't offended by it. Sure her opinions are strong and the way she says things may come off intense, but basically what I took from reading it is that just because you're a mother doesn't mean you only have to be a mother.

    When I have children, yes, I will want the very best for them. But I will do my personal best to find a balance between what is best for my child and what is best for me. I'm sure some people would think that's selfish, but I'm not giving up myself to be come a mother, I'm adding that to the list of things that I am and love doing.

  6. I am very offended by that article. The primary gain I feel we have made in the last several decades is our right to choose what path works best for us and for our family. Respecting eachothers choices as women is also part of the way I now define feminism.

    This article doesn't just point out what the author believes are benefits of maintaining a career, it degrades those of us who have chosen to make motherhood primary. She also sounds completely out of touch with what it really is to have a child. Breastfeeding doesn't complicate sex or intimacy with your partner and while it isn't right for everyone for those of us who master it it can be faster and take up less of our precious time as an individual than preparing a bottle.
    Her description makes me laugh, clearly someone who has never done it.

    Yes we are all more than "just" mothers but it's our own right to define how we maintain our identity and to say choosing to stay at home is "infantile" is just obnoxious!

  7. Well, the only thing I really agree with is women who quit their jobs when they become mothers need to think beyond the next few years. That said, I do think the majority of women do think long and hard before making a choice like that.

    Everything else is just ridiculous. I work, cloth diaper, breastfeed, make my own baby food and manage to be a mother and maintain a strong relationship with my husband. And I do not believe that I am the exception here. This woman is clearly out of touch.

  8. I think that article was interesting, and though I think the writer was hyperbolic in her broad generalization of stay-at-home-moms, I appreciate what she has to say about not feeling "superior" over mothers that choose not to co-sleep, breastfeed, etc., as well as the idea that women should retain their identity even with the addition of motherhood. I think in the last decade or so we've gotten so fanatic and competitive with the idea of motherhood and it's frankly damaging to women who never feel like they can "measure up" to that level of perfection--it's sad to see women one-up each other by out-naturalizing others ("I breastfeed for a year and half, it was PERFECT, but I guess 6 months is okay if you can't, or something" kind of mentality). Again, I think she's wayyy simplifying the issue and I don't see a need to trash the whole "natural" thing if that's really what a person wants to do, because I think trashing other women without understanding their circumstances is also damaging. Feminism is about making choices. I think we do need to relieve the social pressure a bit though and not demonize mothers who formula feed, use disposable diapers and have epidurals and such.

  9. i'm split on the article. on one hand, i totally see where she's coming from. i just wrote about this as a guest on another blog (but it hasn't been published so i'll summarize)... i'm in law school with a newborn and i have no time to breastfeed. it seems as the women who would have once praised me for taking on law school are now berating me for my decision not to breastfeed. it can be very hard sometimes and i feel like i have no support from other women. this is the first article i've read that actually says it's okay. at the same time... what do i plan on doing after i finish law school, pass the bar, and become a lawyer? be a sahm for a while- and i cant freakin wait! i can't wait to be there for my daughter 100% of the time.

    1. A lot of what I wanted to say has already been said. But I agree wholeheartedly with Erica. The most offensive part is that here is another strong opinion that is all or nothing, wrong or right, black and white. Let's quit the mother guilt and support each others choices. And whilst we are at it; let's be thankful we have the opportunity to make them!

  10. Like Mama Smith, I find some of Badinter's comments insulting and I'm not even a SAHM. To deduce providing basic needs for your child, based off your desire to give what is best for them, to being an "animal" is just shortsighted and offensive.

    Badinter works off this theory that the only way a woman will be fulfilled is if she is financially independent and that she must work out of the home in order to do so. I can tell you: I make more money than my husband and that is a heavy burden to bear. I do not desire to be a working mother but I must be in order to provide for my family.

    I would argue that a rise in the throwback of "naturalism" for modern mothers is an advancement rather than a digression. For the first time in several decades, women are evaluating their home lives and making decisions for their families based on what works best for them and not necessarily what "experts" are telling them (like doctors telling women in the 40s/50s to stop breastfeeding). Someone like Badinter saying that a woman shouldn't be doing these things is just another person undermining a basic tenet of feminism: empowerment in individual choices.

  11. That dad's video of his daughter is so amazing and breathtaking. I hope I remember to do something like that when i have kids someday.

  12. Badinter's article was so upsetting to me. How can you call what other women have chosen to do, wrong, and than call yourself a feminist? Part of being a feminist is supporting women's right to choose, her own path. Just because it differs from what is right for you, does not mean that's wrong for them. She degrades other women and that is always wrong. I can't believe she's so audacious to say some of the things she says. It also proved just how much knowledge she lacked on the subject. I have no children, and I don't know what I will choose to do when/if I have kids. But the thing is, it'll be my choice based on what's right for me and my family, and people should respect that.

  13. My greatest desire, ever since I was a little girl, has been to be able to stay at home and take care of my kids and raise a family. And yes, *gasp* be a traditional housewife! I graduated from college, am a dental hygienist, and now I'm married. Unfortunately, my husband has some health problems that keeps him from working full time and I'm the major breadwinner at the moment, and it could stay like that for a long time. It kills me that there is a great chance that I probably will not be able to stay home with my kids and I'll have to work while someone else takes care of them. I really, really hate that modern idea that wanting to be a stay at home mom is degrading to women. If a woman chooses to continue to work after kids, whether they have to or just want to, that's great for them and nothings wrong with that! But there is certainly absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to work either. Life to me is more than working, being financially independent, and having some great job.

  14. Let me start by saying I'm single and childless, so that will undoubtedly affect my perspective.

    I think that Badinter makes some good points; that women should have lives outside of their children and that children should have lives outside of their parents (or at least experiences that are not tightly controlled/monitored by their parents), that women are not terrible if they don't have a natural childbirth, and that women should be able to choose whether or not they breastfeed without being demonized.

    However, her underlying theme that staying home with children undermines women or feminism is complete nonsense. I think that women should be able to choose how they live their lives and that choice should be respected. Do you want to be a career woman and run a huge company? Awesome! Do you want to stay at home and raise your children? Wonderful! They're very different choices, and both have benefits and drawbacks.

    Also, I was a little put off by her statement regarding her concern about "fusion" between mother and infant after the first few months. Didn't the vast majority of women used to stay home with their children? Aren't there cultures all over the world that utilize varying degrees of attachment parenting? This seems like something that must have been studied--I think she just needs to do her homework. While severe co-dependency between a parent and child can be bad, simply staying at home with a child is not going to ruin him or her (or the parent, for that matter).

    Sorry for being so long-winded, but it's a really interesting topic.

  15. Too funny! I just powered through all of the Gossip Girl Seasons on Netflix and then bought the current season on Itunes! I'm obsessed! I can't believe it has been on for so long and I've been flipping by my beloved Chuck Bass!

  16. love that last video. thanks for sharing! If we could all just make time go a little slower, siiggghhh.

  17. I'm not a mother and probably won't be for a little while as I'm only nineteen, but I think Elisabeth Badinter's views are being forced on her audience. For me the primary role of feminism was to allow women the choice to make what they want of their lives.
    If this means choosing to get an education, then have children and give up work to be with their children, so be it. This in NO way means they are choosing 'less' of a life, it means they are choosing what makes them happy and what they feel is right. Is she implying that only uneducated mothers should stay at home with their children? Ridiculous. It's insulting that she is judging other women for their life choices. Pretty lame feminism if you ask me. We should be happy for other women in the choices they make, and support those choices.
    I am happy for the woman who chooses not to have children in order to have a career, I am happy for the woman who chooses to balance both children and education/work, and I am happy for the woman who chooses to stay at home with her children. Real feminism would have us feel the same.

  18. I loved the article! there are areas where i disagree but I do agree with a lot of it. I don't think a mother necessarily has to work but every single person on this earth needs a passion outside their children or spouse. Passion is what drives people forward so even if you stay at home, maybe take an art class every Wednesday or take up a hobby, be a person outside of your children.

  19. That time lapse video is fantastic - she reminds me a bit of dakota fanning!


  20. crazy... I have the book version of the 30 by 30 list and it's attributed to Maya Angelou. I mentioned it a while back in this post about 'every woman should have a good piece of furniture'

    Who knew they got the author wrong!?

  21. That article saddens me. While I respect the choices she makes for her life, and do not in any way think these make her a bad mother, professional, woman etc...I feel she did not lend the same respect to women of varying ideals. For me, as a mother, I find it much more valuable to lift other women and mothers up then to make assumptions or judgements about their life choices or values. I feel that mothers already fight enough battles with each other and societal pressures that it is further disheartening to see our "womanhood" being attacked. Sigh. For me, being more natural is more about my family's health in the short and long term than a preoccupation with being the perfect mother, diverting from the paths forged by feminism. I have two degrees and I gave up my high paced career for a part-time, work from home job, that pays the bills and allows me to be the primary care-giver to my children. I feel this can be an even harder decision to make than staying at work (sometimes). Here's to hoping that we can move to help each woman and mother out to be able to hold to her own identity, self-confidence, and values, WHILE she moves into motherhood and the choices she/her family make regarding that--regardless if she stays home or not.

  22. i read this post this morning before work, and i've had that quote in my head all day...i love it! and that house is absolutely amazing!

  23. i am in training to become a doula, so i follow the natural birth/attachment parenting worlds closely, although i'm not a mother. i consider myself a pretty hardcore feminist, and i can't stop reading about this whole elisabeth badinter debate. this is probably the 10th article i've read about it, and people are really REACTING. i side largely with the "make your own mothering choices" /AP side, although i don't think i'll be a fully AP parent when the time comes. badinter is being totally polemical on purpose, of course...i think her tactics and her rhetoric are both bad and disrespectful of the choices and lifestyles of women the world over, but i think one positive thing is that she is getting women to think critically about their lives, which can't be bad. i just wish it had been accomplished in a more productive, less reductive and destructive way.

    dani, have you ever seen the blog new domesticity? she has a few posts on this subject matter, as well as relating to radical homesteading and things like that. really thought-provoking stuff: soon to be a book.

  24. Thanks Dani!! And yay for no more mouth pain! I can relate as I just had eight, count them EIGHT, cavities filled. I suppose it's time to cut back on the sugar :)

    As for the article, I could not agree more with emilydoran. Really, it comes down to what makes you happy and fulfilled in life. And no one has the right to judge that.

  25. Wow, what an article. I am saddened by it because the whole point of feminism (in my opinion) is for each individual woman to have choice. Choice in whether to have children, and choice in how they raise them. And for women to support each other and stick together. Personally I was forced to go back to work far sooner than I would have liked for financial reasons, and have received backlash from many SAHMs who berate me for doing the wrong thing for my child. It seems you can't win. This article had a few strong points - I think it's important not to lose sight of yourself as a person, nor is it unimportant to think long term so as to not become unemployable. Otherwise however, I think whatever makes mum and baby happy is the right thing to do.

    We need to stop throwing stones at each other and support each other instead.

  26. Here's the literary critic in me: you can just hear the disdain and bitterness in her tone - if she had only written the article with a bit more of a filter then I think her original intent would have been better received. I've learned never to write when I'm angry because all the reader will hear is your anger - the message will be lost.

    I hear her perspective - she is asking for balance, to stop defining our lives as just mothers, to stop judging those who formula feed, or use disposable diapers, or choose to work after our children our born. But in her ask, she is also judging and rejecting the current movement back to a more "natural" way of parenting and feeding and birthing. Ironic, but the very platform she stands on about not making mothering your whole identity and focus is dissolved in the fact that she wrote a whole article about it - if it's not that important to you why are you writing about it Elizabeth?

    For me, motherhood seems hard enough without having to defend my choices to others - whether it be my family, my friends, my co-workers, my blog readers or society as a whole. I've not yet given birth to my first born (I"m 6 months pregnant) and I've already been doled out a batch of advice that I need to do "x" or "y" otherwise my child will turn out to be a dissatisfied, unhappy, and not well adjusted human. Why do we make these things so extreme?

    Can't we just all get along? :)

  27. I read the article about mothering, here are some of my thoughts:

    I can agree in some way about modern motherhood removing much responsibility from the father almost nixing him out of the whole parent-child relationship but I have personal experiences that support this picture she's painting. The morning after I had my son I was required to attend this "Child 101" class at my hospital and my son's father (who was with me in the hospital) was told his attendance was "optional". I also find programs like WIC misleading because it's to support women and children but you never really hear about the single dads and whether or not they can receive support for their children if they fall within the requirements for assistance. Furthermore, my son is blind. His father and I are not together any longer but we do not have a custody agreement yet so it's as if we're still "happily together and everything is shared" in regards to our son. Since, my son is blind and requires a lot of doctors, therapists, teachers, etc. I tried to see if we/he would qualify for SSDI. At my appointment, I was told that he doesn't qualify because of me (I make too much--okay, that's fine), but no joke, I was told that if "something should happen to you, your son will be set for life without any question." At no point does anything in that sentence reference the fact that he will/should still have a father to take care of him. That sentence also doesn't consider his father's income or ability to continuing caring him--as soon as I'm gone, my son will receive what he needs from the gov't. There's just more focus on educating the mother, supporting the mother, and supporting the child in the mother's absence regardless of the father's potential or ability.

    And, the items about nursing, cloth diapering, home-made baby foods...I think that's an exaggeration. Everyone tries to do what they can or what they feel would work best for them when it comes to those things. The media does focus a lot of nursing and "breast being best" but it doesn't chastise those who can't or choose not too, there just isn't that "supportive" message attached to the campaign saying 'if you can't or have reasons that you don't want to try--it's okay.' That's something that's very important. The cloth diapering and home-made foods, don't take us back to ridiculous times of long ago. I make all of my son's food (which is like stage 3 baby food because he can't chew given his blindness) and I work full-time. I am also raising him by myself so time is valuable and making his food is time consuming. I do it though to give him different flavors, textures, experiences to help expand his palate. I would have loved to use cloth diapers because of the cost of disposable diapers but not everyone that would be babysitting him was on board with the idea. It wasn't anything but curiosity and preference.

    Isn't that what motherhood and raising a child is--curiosity and preference? What works for some people doesn't work for everyone and that's why every pregnant woman hears something along the lines of "People will start giving you advice about everything. Take it or leave it, because you'll find out what works for you."

  28. I'm not offended by the article at all. I actually think she makes a lot of good points. I mean just because you don't breastfeed or use cloth diapers doesn't mean you are doing it wrong. It's pretty obvious everyone parents differently. Who's to say one way is better than another. My mom didn't breastfeed me and I was just as healthy and happy as any other kid. I'm not a parent and my husband and I are 99.9% sure we won't ever be parents for a lot of the reasons she mentioned. I'm not ashamed to admit that the whole parenting thing scares the shit out of me. I really loved the line "motherhood is a choice, not an obligation". It's nice to hear that from someone. Society expects couples to pop out kids the minute they get married but this day and age motherhood is not an obligation or necessity. I can be and am happy without children.

  29. Ohhh I love that yellow dress!! It's lovely. Great taste. My friend TK told me about this blog, I love it!!

    To Ashley above, I love your line "..This day and age motherhood is not an obligation or necessity. I can be and am happy without children." It is absolutely a choice! :)

    Loved all the links!

    Cathy Trails

  30. the 30 things women should have/know before 30 just felt so silly to me. it's that classic way of thinking about women as a whole, instead of considering what women are so different. it seemed to center around the idea that most women at 30 are still single, and straight for that matter.

    i sometimes feel like sex and the city changed the dialogue for women, but we haven't evolved since. we're still clinging to this idea of women in the perfect little black dress sipping cocktails. lists like this are supposed to be fun, but all i see is a frazzled carrie bradshaw chasing a cab and juuuuust barely missing it, only to get in mr. big's car. it perpetuates a certain way of thinking from women about women.

    1. great comment, lauren. i totally agree!

  31. my reply about the elisabeth badinter article is actually one similar to the film "mona lisa smiles." in that film, it shows two different students who make very different decisions: one to leave her husband and go out on her own... and another gifted student who decides not to pursue higher education and instead, become a housewife (and presumably, mother).

    when the teacher (katherine watson) finds out that the one student (joan brandwyn) has forsaken the grad school route and eloped, she confronts her...

    Joan Brandwyn: ... I want a home, I want a family! That's not something I'll sacrifice.

    Katherine Watson: No one's asking you to sacrifice that, Joan. I just want you to understand that you can do both.

    Joan Brandwyn: Do you think I'll wake up one morning and regret not being a lawyer?

    Katherine Watson: Yes, I'm afraid that you will.

    Joan Brandwyn: Not as much as I'd regret not having a family, not being there to raise them. I know exactly what I'm doing and it doesn't make me any less smart. This must seem terrible to you.

    Katherine Watson: I didn't say that.

    Joan Brandwyn: Sure you did. You always do. You stand in class and tell us to look beyond the image, but you don't. To you a housewife is someone who sold her soul for a center hall colonial. She has no depth, no intellect, no interests.

    and then joan says a brilliant line: "You're the one who said I could do anything I wanted. This is what I want."

    i think that's the point that badinter is missing. if the feminist movement is supposed to have given us anything, it was the ability to actually CHOOSE what we want to do.

    when i have my baby this year, i won't be *forced* by society to stay at home. i can continue teaching college if i want-- and maybe i will here and there-- but that's my decision... and my wonderful husband supports me in whatever i decide to do in that area.

    we, as women, now have the right to choose how we want to raise our children... and for badinter to be so dogmatic that the way we choose is detrimental is implicitly forcing us back unto one option of child-rearing.

    her own.

  32. Regarding the Elisabeth Badinter article, this actually makes me so angry. I can't stand people who say it's a woman's job to stay at home and look after the children but I also can't stand women who say that wanting to raise a family takes away a woman's identity.

    Ridiculous. I was raised in a family where I watched both parents work and they were loving and very dedicated to their family at the same time. But my grandmother gave up her work when she had children because all she'd ever wanted to be, in her heart of hearts, was a mother. It's a woman's right to choose whatever she wants to be. Either choice doesn't make her any less of an *intelligent* woman.

  33. that boston terrier is TOO MUCH! One of the cutest things I've seen recently. That pouty face gets me every time

  34. Man, oh man. Elisabeth Badinter's article. Her thoughts and opinions are EXACTLY why I feel like a majority of people look down on me when I tell them I'm a SAHM. It seems that people think that we do nothing.. Which I really really don't understand. If this job is so meaningless, why in the world do people pay so much money for someone else to watch their children everyday? My Mom stayed at home with me and my brother when we were little, and got a job after we were both in school. She is doing very well for herself now, so I don't agree that delaying your role in the workforce for a few years is going to have major repercussions. But even if it did, to some women, it is worth the "loss". Ever since I was young I knew that:
    A. I wanted to be a young mom, just like mine
    B. I wanted to be a SAHM until my children went off to school
    I'm 7 months pregnant with my 3rd child, and love that I'm able to be at home with all of them. I feel so satisfied in this role, and in my CHOICE. I just want people to respect me for my decision, and I'll respect them for their own.

    I agree with many of the above comments, we should be lifting eachother up, not tearing eachother down by negative attitudes and judgments.

    Are you a SAHM? Breastfeed? Co-sleep? GREAT!
    Do you work full-time? Bottle-feed? Disposable diapers? GREAT!

    We are all mothers, and that is what unites us. We all love our children and want the best for them. THAT is what matters the most.

  35. Thought Catalog posted their own list of 30 things you should know at 30 as a response to that Huffington Post article. Personally, I think TC's is SO MUCH BETTER. Thoughts?

  36. I think that woman has a very distorted view of American stay at home mothers. She's lumping everyone into one category and, like any other subject, that's just not realistic. I know plenty of stay at home moms who have never given up who they are, nor have they let being a mother or breastfeeding ruin their relationship with their husbands. Yes, there are some women out there like that, but to sum up all American mothers into that category is ignorant.

  37. what a lovely blog design! just started following your blog :)
    best wishes, lillie

  38. I have been following your blog for 2 or 3 years now. I finally got my own so I am now a legit member of the blog community! I really love reading your blog everyday and you have a beautiful family!

  39. I read that article last week, and honestly, it annoyed me. Why can't we be parents and keep our identity? I have been a SAHM for many years and I have managed to retain my identity (while continuing to grow and pursue different hobbies as well as keep my home clean, my child nurtured, and healthy meals on the table.) At the end of the day though, we all need to do what is best for our families, without judgment from others.

  40. I was with the author of that article when she said motherhood is a choice, but when she started going off on natural motherhood - well, PARENTHOOD - she lost me. I think the biggest thing was talking about how jarred babyfood (and by implication other more "convenient" baby supplies) are "accessible to fathers". That whole stereotype that dads are second-class parents and moms are the ones who REALLY know what they're doing - see every cleaning product ad ever, where the dad has fun with the kids making a huge mess, then mom comes home, shakes her head resignedly, and cleans the house - drives me crazy. Also, I do nursing on demand and cloth diapers and work full time, and I'm pretty sure that if I formula fed and did disposables, not only would I be much poorer but I wouldn't have any extra time. If that's the way she wants to be a mom, fine. Motherhood IS a choice - not just whether to be a mother, but HOW to be one.

  41. Oh my, that Lighthouse Cove Cottage is My Dream House. How could anyone be anything but happy living in a gorgeous home like that... Wow.

  42. I loved that video of the girl growing up! Saw it about a week ago and it such an amazing idea!
    It's always fun to read your weekend links. I love the fact we can share things like this on the internet with other at the other side of the world. It became an every day thing, but if you sit back and think about it, it's quite amazing ;)

    xo Sari

    xo Sari

  43. I love you!!!! Thanks for the mention; too sweet <3

  44. It helps them stand out from other ads, and Google appreciates it.
    over I will link to it if that site is related and has.
    Right now, there could be small flaws in your website's SEO arsenal that leave you vulnerable to trouble with the search engines or lost traffic.

    Also visit my web-site;

  45. This comment has been removed by the author.


Blogging tips