Friday, May 11, 2012

Currently.

Enjoying a walk on this beautiful morning! ☀
on a walk this morning with Henry's buddy Max and my friend/Max's mama Veronica. We always have such a good time walking and chatting away. Today we got some iced coconut tea too- my favorite!  

Reading: So much! I have a huge summer reading list I'm working on right now that I hope to share with all of you sometime next week, and I'm excited to get cracking on it. I actually already started reading the first book I chose and I am loving it so much. I'm going to do a proper review of it once I'm done so I'll wait until then (probably Sunday or Monday) to talk about it. But I'm really looking forward to finishing the book list and picking a couple more must-reads for this summer. I hope some of you will read along with me as well!

Watching: Parenthood. And I have to ask myself: "WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG TO WATCH THIS SHOW?!" It's amazing. And I also have to laugh at myself, because so many people told me to get into it (just like they did with Friday Night Lights, Gossip Girl, LOST, etc.) and it was only until I was bored one late night that I decided to finally give it a whirl. I'm so happy I did. I have an unabashed love for television- I really love "my shows" (hello, is this my Mom speaking?) and once I fall in love with a series I have to watch all of the episodes. Hank and I used to love watching box sets of series back in the day, pre-Henry, and we would stay on couch for hours some weekends and power through seasons of LOST. Nowadays I am lucky if I can watch an episode a night of whatever show I'm into at the moment, but it's a enough for me and something I really look forward to.  

Thinking about: how sad the aftermath of the Whiskey Row fire is. This past week I was driving to hot yoga and talking to Hank on the phone when I noticed a huge cloud of smoke billow up from the downtown area. I wasn't too sure where it was coming from, and I was initially really freaked out that it was coming from one of our family's businesses. As I got closer I saw that the fire was actually a street up, right on Whiskey Row, and as I made my way down Goodwin to the studio, I was passed by fire trucks and police cars speeding over to the Bird Cage area. As it turns out a faulty kitchen appliance started a huge fire that destroyed three businesses. So, so sad. Luckily the fire was contained but SO much history was lost- irreplaceable things- and it's devastating to think about the lost jobs and people's lives that will be forever changed. On the bright side no one was hurt, and I am hoping this summer the town can come together to rebuild it.

Anticipating: this weekend! Hank and I will be celebrating my sweet Shirley's 30th birthday. I can't give any details because she faithfully reads here and her party is a half-surprise, but I will be back after this weekend with fun photos. I can't wait to celebrate one of my most favorite people in the entire world. She's the kind of person that always goes above and beyond celebrating everyone else, so one day dedicated all to her is pretty much perfect in my book...although I think she should get a week! We also have my second Mother's Day on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to a lot of pool time.

Listening to: Aloe Blacc. All day. Henry LOVES him, and especially the song "I Need a Dollar." If you're viewing this via RSS be sure to open this post in a new window to listen below.



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


Eating: fruit. Salad and fruit (or hey, even fruit salad!) are my staples in the spring and summer months. Heavy food always just sounds gross, so lighter, in season produce is where it's at. Henry is also obsessed with berries so our breakfasts are always chock full of them.

Working on: feeling good in my own skin. Well, I'm always working on this, but lately I've been feeling great about just being me. I know that this one go-round I have, this one life I'm living, is way too short to focus on ridiculous things like feeling unhappy with things I can't change (although at times this is hard to remember). But yoga has helped me a lot with appreciating my body for what it is- celebrating all of the amazing things it can do- and I don't want to ever spend time hating it or feeling upset because I don't look a certain way or live up to some perfect image I've created in my mind. It's a good place to be, and I want to keep working on it so I continue to make strides to total self-acceptance.

Wishing: that I could make time slow down. Every morning Henry is a little bigger, says a new word, and I just feel like it's all going by way too quickly. I try my best to savor it but I so badly wish I had a pause button I got press every now and then. But what a cliché thing to wish for right? So here are some other things I'd love to have, right now: an unlimited supply of magic Gouda cheese that never made you gain weight, even if you ate a hundred pounds of it, sunglasses that didn't make little marks on either side of my nose, and a huge pool in our backyard. Oh, and I'd also love a private Lil Wayne concert for all of my girlfriends and me for my birthday. Drake could open too. Perfect.

How about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments! And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

34 comments:

  1. I've only recently gotten into yoga, but, already I am totally amazed at how powerful and "in control" of my body it makes me feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parenthood is one of my all time favorite shows ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have way too much in common. Reading your blogs is always on my currently list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny that you said that about not watching shows like Gossip Girl and Friday Night Lights. I quite literally JUST finished a post about shows that I refused to watch and ended up loving and both of those were on it. Apparently I need to watch Parenthood!
    -Brittany

    http://itsybittythings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you posted one of these today! Here's what's going on around here... http://whuffling.com/2012/05/11/currently-3/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that song -never heard it before- but it kinda reminds me of The Little Rascals. I've been hitting up the yard sales today and enjoying the sunshine & blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never watched parenthood. I'm a tv series addict, so this might not be the best time for me to start it, since I'm writing exam papers... but maybe just a peek :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done a "currently" post over at my blog, lovely explorer. Feel free to check it out! P.s. I am a tried and true parenthood fan myself. I'm glad you gave it a chance!

    Come visit, http://lovelyexplorer.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Parenthood is the best show ever. When the pilot opened with an Avett Brothers song, I knew I was in love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited for your Summer Reading post! The idea of Summer Reading always takes me back to adolescence/high school/even college a bit and the thought of a pile of fresh new books to read in the months, just for pleasure, outside of school still makes me giddy -- even though I haven't been a student for almost two years and ALL my reading is just for me! I can't wait to hear your picks; just in time for me to put together my own list! :) (Also I wrote you a comment on Instagram about this, but YES ALOE BLACC. I reviewed his album for a magazine I was working at when it first came out and have had it in rotation ever since. He's amazing.) I hope you're having a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Aloe Biacc's song "I need a dollar". Have you ever watched the showtime series "How to make it in America?" This is theme song for that show. It is so good and it is one of those series where you can just sit and watch one episode after the next. Check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the same way with shows. I always get hooked after a show ends or is a bunch of seasons in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Parenthood and Gossip Girl. I cannot get enough of either. We have good taste in television.

    ...I am not watching television lately though... I am only reading Shades of Grey .... a kind of novel that I have never read before! I cannot stop reading, but it also freaks me out ....

    My currently ... http://www.joyfullygray.us/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean about wanting to slow time down!
    i love these posts.

    http://seabassdeane.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/currently.html#!/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm looking forward to seeing your reading list. Now that I have finished school I have plenty of time for reading and have a feeling I would enjoy some of your recommendations. And hey-o Parenthood! That show is amazing.

    Currently: http://berriesandgraphite.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. totally relate to working on self-acceptance!! it's hard, but you're right: life is too short. hope you have a good weekend -- envious of your pool time! happy mother's day : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've got me going on the "currently" posts! Here is mine from this week - http://www.kellimurray.com/2012/05/10/currently-2/
    I need to get on to that "Parenthood" kick too. I think I will once I'm finished with Revenge! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did my own currently post this week, too!
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com/2012/04/currently.html


    I really like how you said "celebrating" your friend. I've never thought of Birthdays like that before-celebrating a person- its a wonderful way to view it.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do my "Currently" posts weekly, every Wednesday!

    http://www.walking-contradiction.com/search/label/currently

    -Desiree
    www.walking-contradiction.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Parenthood is fantastic, isn't it? I was so excited when I found out it had been renewed for next year! I've just started watching Friday Night Lights (only 5 episodes in) but I'm in love already!

    ReplyDelete
  21. your working on section was just what i needed to read right now loved it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just started doing this Currently thing and I really enjoy it. I've always loved reading yours.

    Christina
    http://thornfieldandpemberly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're 'Working On' made me want to share with you a post/blog that i love and today's was really timely for me. Loving the skin i'm in and not being so harsh on myself, the way i look and even the things i say sometimes. Melissa and Nourishing Our Radiance has helped me tremendously lately of being mindful and gentle. I think you'll dig it :)

    http://nourishingourradiance.com/2012/05/taming-your-inner-critic/

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous photo! Henry is so beautiful and reminds me of my son when he was smaller.

    I love these currently posts and have been trying them out at my blog - http://grownupnotold.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/currently_12.html.

    Can't wait to see your summer reading list - it's coming up to winter here in Australia so I'll be huddled up with my Kindle looking for new reads.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would LOVE some suggestions for great summer reads! I used to love reading, but haven't read for fun in so long now (I blame it on my busy schedule and getting burnt out from school)! I'm looking forward to some down time this summer so I can fall in love with books all over again!
    http://long-road-to-somewhere.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I became obsessed with "I Need a Dollar" because of How to Make it in America. Great song, Mr. Henry has quite the music taste.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm going to have to get watch Parenthood. :) I keep hearing about how great it is, I'll have to get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I heard about Whiskey Row, and someone told us Dewey practically burned to the ground a few days ago too! So sad! I used to work out in Dewey a lot and Whiskey Row is so important to Prescott's history! =[

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never made myself a reading list though I'm always reading. It's an interesting idea and I'd love to see what you'd recommend.

    My Currently post from the week: http://followk.blogspot.ca/2012/05/currently_15.html

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have been wanting to start watching Parenthood- glad you gave it good reviews! I am gonna check it out!

    Here's my currently post from this week: http://notsoaveragemomma.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently-41712.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Danielle! Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello :)

    I can relate to trying to feel good in your own skin on so many levels right now. This is something I've been struggling with a little bit the past few weeks and it's so great that you are feeling great about being you.

    Here's my currently post: http://youandthemoon.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. i've been meaning to do one of these on my blog for quite some time now and finally did today! thanks for the inspiration lady. c:

    http://laceyhorst-thomas.blogspot.com/2012/05/currently.html

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips