Monday, May 7, 2012

Working it out

One of my favorite things to do is hop on a cardio machine and sweat for an hour or so to good music, super early in the morning. I like to hit the gym before Hank and Henry are even awake, get my workout out of the way, and enjoy a little me time too. It helps to keep me grounded, happy, and always gets me motivated to have a productive rest of my day. And sometimes when I'm in a rut all I need is a new workout playlist to get me going. Below are my current favorite cardio songs- my playlist is always changing but lately these have been my go-to picks for getting into the zone for a good cardio session, be it outside running, on the stair master, or on the elliptical. Some of these songs are a liiiiittle embarrassing (and a couple are not work or child appropriate so listen at your own risk!) but judge all you want, they get the job done! ;)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


  1. So Damn Hot - OK Go
    Hot - Avril Lavigne (true fact: I gotta say "ah-vig-nee" just to remember her last name, ha.)
    The Best Damn Thing - Avril Lavigne
    Gives You Hell - All American Rejects
    Kiss The Stars - Pixie Lott
    All About Tonight - Pixie Lott
    Boys and Girls - Pixie Lott
    Mama Do - Pixie Lott (yeah, she's pretty awesome)
    Pumped Up Kicks - Foster The People
    Animal - Neon Trees
    Addicted - Saving Abel
    She Hate's Me - Puddle of Mud
    Judas - Lady GaGa
    Set Fire to The Rain - Adele
    She's Got You High - 500 Days of Summer
    I'll Be Yours - Placebo
    Hey Na Na - Katie Herzig
    The Edge of Glory - Lady GaGa
    Beautiful Dirty Rich - Lady GaGa
    Fly Like an Eagle - Steve Miller Band
    The Joker - Steve Miller Band
    Take the Money & Run - Steve Miller Band
    Keep On Rocking Me Baby - Steve Miller Band
    Cherry Bomb - The Runaways
    Cocaine - Eric Clapton
    Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
    I Need a Hero - Bonnie Raitt

    Also any (old) Disney song, most of Inkubus Sukkubus' music and Credence Clearwater Revival.

    Hopefully you'll like somethin' here! ;)

    1. Angie! These are AWESOME! :) Thank you so much for sharing.

  2. I'm using this playlist to power through putting together my 20 minute presentation I have for Interpersonal Communications on Wednesday! Agh!

  3. That is the best workout playlist!!
    Mine is so so similar :)
    Amy xo

  4. This is awesome - thanks for the inspiration! Have you heard the parody of N**gas in Paris called B*tches in Bookshops. I think you would love:


  5. I'm all about busting out some cardio or picking up a dull day to Lil Wayne's "Drop the World", Tyga's "Ayy Ladies" or "Make it Nasty", Nick Minaj's "Did it on em" and basically anything by Too $hort! For non hip-hop Arkells "Book Club", Brighten's "Better Way", Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call me Maybe" aaaaand Friendly Fire's "Hurting". My gym/ pick me up playlist is pretty eclectic but it keeps me movin'!

  6. i have to constantly keep my workout playlist fresh and full of new music, or i get bored! recently i've been loving old school elvis, glee mash-ups, pitbull, nicki minaj, and kings of leon. my gym plays pretty good music over their sound system so sometimes i'll listen to whatever they're blaring.
    and i agree, sweating in the morning is the best way to start my day!

  7. Ok, I never comment but I do love me a good workout song. Some off my most recent playlist:
    Stronger by Kanye West, Amazing by Kanye
    Sink to the Beat by Cursive
    Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson
    Daylight by Matt and Kim
    New Noise by Refused
    Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks by The Rapture
    Sleepyhead by Passion Pit
    Hope you like them!

  8. Embarrassing but... "Electric" by The DNC (feat. Miss Amani) and "Backseat" by New Boyz have been on my workout playlist for quite awhile. I change the other songs but those tend to stay on there. I'm going to keep checking the comments on this post to find new songs.


  9. I have a whole playlist of Lady Gaga songs to get me going during cardio. :)

  10. I don't have a set playlist however whenever I want to run I put the Girl Talk channel on my Pandora. Really pumps me up!

  11. yes! i love when you post playlists! New music is just is exciting! A good workout song for me is 'My Body' by Young The Giant. It really keeps me motivated.

  12. Wolf Like Me - TV on the Radio

  13. what earphones do you use? I can't find any that I really like or trust to stay in my ears... which makes workout mixes at the gym really tough :(

  14. i LOVE playlists for working out...never heard selena gomez sing and i really like her voice. my ABSOLUTE favorite tracks that get me pumped are: Genesis by Justice and 1,000 Cigarettes by MSTRKRFT. =)

  15. I love Girl Talk, "Let it Rock" by Kevin Rudolf is one of my favorites, and for some reason "Howlin for You" by the Black Keys gets me pumped. Enjoy your workouts!

  16. Perfect timing on this post! I just had my 3rd baby a month ago and have just started working out again in the last week. I started Insanity - for the 4th time - a few days ago and I went on my first run last weekend at the beach...while pushing my monster of a 20 month old in the BOB. Imagine my disappointment when I realized my running playlist was no longer on my phone because I'd JUST bought a new phone and hadn't sync'd it yet. Ugh. Anyway, a few of my running faves (I need a fast beat):

    ANYTHING by Girl Talk...especially the latest album
    Seventy Times Seven // Brand New
    Save The World // Swedish House Mafia (I particularly like the Alesso mix)
    Ambulance // Blood Brothers
    Look At Me Now // Chris Brown + a bunch of people
    Sweetheart // Closure in Moscow (gotta plug 'em - they're a friend's band out of my home city of Portland, OR)
    United States of Pop 2009 // DJ Earworm
    You'll Rebel to Anything (entire album) // Mindless Self Indulgence
    A Life Less Ordinary // Motion City Soundtrack

    It's kind of all over the place, but I love running/keeping pace to all of 'em.

    Check out my post about Insanity and follow along as I try to not die from muscle failure as I get bikini ready a month after having a baby!

  17. LOVE these! I need a running list.
    Once I have it down i'll fill you in!

    Louise xo

  18. Oh yes, this playlist makes me want to leave work and run home! haha
    My suggestions:

    "I Can't Do It Alone"-3OH!3
    "Guernica"-Brand New
    "Giving Up the Gun"-Vampire Weekend
    "Watagatapitusberry"-Black Point
    "Crawling Towards the Sun"-The Hush Sound (I found that the music to this song goes along well with my rhythm on an elliptical.)
    "Weak and Powerless" and "The Outsider"-A Perfect Circle
    "Time Is Running Out"-Muse

    And pretty much any Pitbull, Britney Spears, T-Pain, Chris Brown, Lady Gaga, Rhianna, etc. song that is loud and fast. :)

  19. I used to always listen to arctic monkeys or bloc party or the prodigy...and t-pain.

  20. Just a question--when you work out in the morning, do you have breakfast? I've always wanted to be a morning workout person, but I don't think I could do it without eating and I can't think of many foods that wouldn't want to come up with all that jostling around.

    1. I can't speak for everyone but I am one of those rare people that prefers AND enjoys working out early in the morning, and I've found that in order to not pass out from starvation during my morning workouts I have to start my workout straight out of bed. So the night before I make sure everything I need (clothes, shoes, water bottle, reflective belt for running, etc) is all laid out and ready to go. That way when I wake up I'm ready to go. And then after my workout, then I eat. A huge, filling breakfast. I've tried working out after being up and awake for literally just a few minutes - maybe 15 or so - and I find it almost impossible because by that time I'm starving. :)

    2. I am the EXACT same way as Kelsey. I don't eat anything before I go, but I go right away, then come home and eat a huge breakfast. The only difference is if I go to hot yoga first thing, and then I get up earlier and eat a banana- but that's it. I know it's not for everyone, but I prefer to do my cardio in the morning on an empty stomach.


  21. I totally have that Selena Gomez song on mine too, haha. Thanks for posting yours and asking everyone else to post some! I've been looking for some new workout music :)

    Here are some of my favorites:

    Sexy & I know it - LMFAO
    Song 2 - Blur
    Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5
    Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson
    Smooth - Santana & Rob Thomas
    Piece of Me - Britney Spears
    Maria, Maria - Santana

  22. LOVE SELENA and I am loving that you added her to your playlist! I listen to a lot of Kanye during workouts (Stronger, Power, The Good Life, Can't Tell Me Nothing) but I also find that Lady Gaga (Bad Romance, Alejandro) and Drake (Over, Forever) are also favorites. I'm also really fond of 90s dance tunes like this playlist I made if you want to check those out! I find that anything I would jump around listening to, makes for a good workout, so pop is ALWAYS a stand by. Also check out Wolf Like Me by TV On The Radio and old Jimmy Eat World like Sweetness, The Middle etc. Happy Work Outs!

  23. Totally semi-embarrassing...
    For running my "Power Songs" are:
    *Lose Yourself* and
    *Love The Way You Lie* by Eminem.
    For cycle class my fav's are:
    *Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)* by Journey
    *Awake and Alive* by Skillet

  24. I just ran my first 5k race, and these (CHEESY EMBARASSING) songs were definitely part of the reason I completed it:

    1. Fancy by Drake
    2. Make Me Proud by Drake and Nicki Minaj (Aw, see. Drake's proud of you while you run!)
    3. Countdown by Beyonce
    4. Baby by Justin Bieber (I know! I know!)
    5. All I Do is Win by T-Pain, Ludacris, etc
    6. On to the Next One by Jay-Z

    ...I promise I like good music too. But there's nothing like bad pop music to get a workout started!

  25. So pumped that you shared this with us. Gonna start going to the gym this week (finally!) and get ready for summer, and cardio is the way to go! Thanks Danielle! xoxo

  26. Ahhh I love your playlist! Some songs I love for working out....

    1. Love On Top - Beyonce
    2. All I Do Is Win - T-Pain
    3. Brokenhearted - Karmin
    4. Danza Kuduro - I can't remember who sings this but look it up!
    5. The Show Goes On - Lupe Fiasco
    6. Cheers(Drink to that) - Rihanna
    7. Animal - Neon Trees
    8. 1985 - Neon Trees

    I have so many that I love I could go on for hours haha

  27. one of my favorites to work out to is "just a song about ping pong" by the australian band operator please. it's CRAZY. i think you'd dig it, dani. also, candyman by christina aguilera.

    here's a youtube preview of the ping pong song!

  28. Boyfriend by Justin Bieber!! I know how that sounds coming from an adult woman but trust me. It's my favorite cardio song right now :)

  29. Straight from my iPod, these never fail to get me going. Enjoy!

    All I Ever Wanted- Basshunter
    All of the Lights- Kanye West
    Amazing- Kanye West
    Army of Yeah- White Panda
    Around the World- Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Back in Time- Pitbull
    Barbra Streisand- Duck Sauce
    Body Work- Morgan Page ft. Tegan and Sara
    Bounce- Calvin Harris
    Boyz- M.I.A
    Bucky Done Gun- M.I.A
    Call me Maybe- Carly Rae Jepsen
    Commander- Kelly Rowland
    DOA- Foo Fighters
    Feel it in my Bones- Tiesto ft. Tegan and Sara
    Gettin' Over You- David Guetta
    Ghettomusick- Outkast
    Hard- Rihanna
    Hello Good Morning- Diddy Dirty Money
    Let it Go- Dragonette
    Levels (In Reverse)- Avicii
    Live My Life- Far East Movement ft. Justin Bieber
    No Church in the Wild- Jay Z & Kanye West
    Numb Encore 2012- Mashup Germany
    Paper Planes (Remix)- M.I.A ft. Lil Wayne
    Part of Me- Katy Perry
    The Party Next Door- Avicii
    The Pretender- Foo Fighters
    Punching in a Dream- The Naked and Famous
    Run This Town- Jay Z
    Shake Drop on Video- White Panda
    Sweat- David Guetta ft. Snoop Dogg
    Sweet Disposition- Temper Trap
    Tell me Baby- Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Till the World Ends (Remix)- Britney Spears ft. Nicki Minaj and Kesha
    Titanium- David Guetta ft. Sia
    Top of the Pops 2011- Mashup Germany
    Turn all the Lights On- T Pain
    Turn Me On- David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj
    Turn up the Music- Chris Brown ft. Rihanna
    Where Have You Been- Rihanna
    Where Them Girls At- David Guetta ft. Flo Rida and Nicki Minaj
    Wild Ones- Flo Rida ft. Sia
    Young Blood- The Naked and Famous
    Young Forever- Jay Z
    10 Dollar- M.I.A

  30. Love your playlist! It's amazing what a great song can do for a workout sesh. Here are some of my favorites when I need a little boost:

    Pursuit of Happiness (Steve Aoki Remix) - Kid Cudi, MGMT, Ratatat
    Like A G6 - Far East Movement
    God Killed the Queen - Louis XIV
    Jump Around - House of Pain
    Money On My Mind - Lil Wayne
    Get Found - Bass Drum of Death
    Scream - Misfits
    Save Your Soul - She Wants Revenge
    I Just Wanna F - David Guetta, Timbaland, Fergie
    Big Pimpin' - Jay Z
    The Inch - Peaches
    Sleazy - Ke$ha
    Treats - Sleigh Bells
    I Know What I Am - Band of Skulls
    Alive - Kid Cudi & Ratatat
    It Ain't Love - MSTRKRFT
    I Don't Wanna Fall In Love - She Wants Revenge
    Need You Tonight - INXS
    I Started A Fire - Jaguar Love
    Helena Beat - Foster the People
    Smile - Slim Thug
    Engine No.9 - Deftones
    E.T. (Benny Benassi Radio Edit) - Katy Perry
    Man Down - Rihanna
    I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges
    Colossal - Wolfmother
    Crazy On You - Heart
    Girls Girls Girls - Motley Crue
    Paradise City - Guns N' Roses

    Enjoy! :)

  31. "Creator" by Santigold vs. Switch and FreQ Nasty
    "Gold Lion" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    "Get Some" by Lykke Li

  32. Mine is a lot of remixes/Punk goes stuff haha

    Beat It(Michael Jackson) - Fall Out Boy
    Put Yo Hood Up(Lil John) - Set Your Goals
    Everywhere(Michelle Branch) - Yellowcard
    Umbrella(Rihanna) - All Time Low
    Party Like A Rockstar - Shop Boyz
    Since U Been Gone(Kelly Clarkson) - A Day To Remember
    The Plot To Bomb The Panhandle - A Day To Remember
    I'm Made Of Wax Larry What Are You Made Of - A Day To Remember

  33. Ahhh I Love this post bc now I can get some great ideas!!!!

    I used to always run to Rage Against the Machine, so good!

    My current fav's are
    Just about anything from Flo Rida, I know its silly but for some reason his music makes me want to move, run dance maybe all at once, It makes me that happy.
    I wanna go - Britney spears
    Sabotage - Beastie Boys
    Spotlight (twilight mix) - Mutemath (I love running to allot of Mutemaths stuff, they have great energy, saw them in concert a few times and I was pretty blow away by them)
    Viva La Vida - Coldplay
    Readyfuels - Anberlin (they have great chill/running music)
    The Unwinding Cable Car- Anberlin

    Thats it for now, I can't wait to get some good running song ideas from your readers and of course your list!

  34. I ditto the fact that I love that this playlist starts with Selena Gomez. If I had a workout playlist, I would definitely share it with you :)


Blogging tips