Friday, May 25, 2012

Hello, Friday morning!

Untitled What took me so long to listen to my Mom and finally go lighter? It's not the hugest change, but I still feel like it makes a big difference.

Hello, Friday morning! It's 9am, I'm currently at my parents' house, and I just put a cranky Henry down for his morning nap and I'm sitting in my old bedroom.  For the longest time my parents' left my room exactly as I had left it when I went away to college. There were pictures on every shelf, books stacked on top of more books, and all of my extra clothing stored in the closet. It was always weird to come back to- it was like a time capsule in a way- my high school life staring right at me each weekend I spent time here. But now it's all put away, the walls have been painted over, the shelves have come down. It's still so funny though, to be able to open up these big closet doors and take a box down and look back through all of those memories. I even have shoeboxes full of notes from junior high. Bizarre.

In other news, tonight begins the start of my 30th birthday weekend! My birthday isn't actually until next Tuesday but today Andy flies in from Seattle, so we'll be doing dinner and RITA'S ITALIAN ICE (all caps necessary, of course) tonight with Anita before the actual party starts tomorrow. I'm so excited to have almost all of my closest girlfriends in one place at one time and I feel like my heart may burst from happiness. I don't know any of the details- it's a half-surprise party- but I do know that we're doing manis/pedis first, then heading over to the resort. What resort we're staying at, I have no clue, but knowing that Hank, Shirley and Autumn planned it I'm sure it's going to be awesome. Such a treat!

Lately I've been feeling just so happy. And not my normal, life-is-good happy, but a happy that's coming from this deep part of me that feels like "this is it." Does that make sense? I feel like I always had this dream or idea of what I had hoped would happen in my life, and as many times as I felt lost or that I'd never figure it out...I'm here, living it. And I'm sure it has to do with my impending birthday but I'm just feeling extra-thoughtful and very, very thankful for everything. It sure isn't perfect, but it's perfect to me, and while I sit here in my old room it's so much easy to see how far I've come, thinking back through all the memories this place is a part of.

So. I'm going to abruptly change the subject here and talk about a couple (and some silly) things I'm loving right now:

1. The Bachelorette. Okay this I think I might say this every season (except Jason's season because he was really annoying), but this one is my favorite. I really love Emily and think she has some great guys. My number one pick is that adorable Jef. Isn't he cute? How about you- do you have a favorite?

2. I do this thing where I eat the same lunch everyday until I get sick of it. I'll usually go about a week and then switch off, but this particular lunch has been happening for about a week and a half now. Are you ready for this amazing-ness? I cook a Dr. Praeger's California Veggie burger, then take an Ezekial tortilla (one of my favorite food items in the whole world), sprinkle some cheese on half of it, plop the cooked veggie burger on it and kind of mash it down to be flat on that half of the tortilla, then cook it like a quesadilla. Then I'll open it and add a ton of veggies, fold it up like a big taco and enjoy. It's seriously so good.

3. The Great Gatsby. I am so excited about this movie, and I'm excited that Baz Luhrmann did it. I have a huge soft spot for this adaptation of Romeo and Juliet (although the Zefirelli version will always be my number one), and I think it looks awesome. I taught the book to my sophomores many times, and I'm looking forward to see what this adaptation looks like.

And now I'm going to abruptly change the subject again to wish all of you a great weekend! I am pushing my summer reading list part two to post in a couple of weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for that. And can I mention for a second how much I am loving this series? I really enjoy that it's such a short little post, but it packs a little punch with those pretty photos! I love seeing what books these women pick as they email their posts to me, and I have about a hundred amazing folks lined up to share their choices over the next months.

So now I'm off to try and get ready before Henry wakes up (poor little guy is teething like crazy), but I'm sending you a million happy weekend wishes! xoxo

edited to add: I got a few question in the comments about the dress I have on. It's from Target! I think it's even in the sale section right now. :)

42 comments:

  1. Okay spill... where did you get that dress? It is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Target! :) And I think it's in the sale section right now! I hope you find it- it's super comfy and not too short on me, which is a plus.

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Happy early 30th! Sounds like you have some fun fun plans!

    And I looove that veggie burger patty, so good. I'm definitely trying that! I can't find Ezekial tortillas here which is sad because I love them, but it sounds delicious even without that.

    The Great Gatsby! I didn't even know they were doing a movie! I hardly remember the book from high school so maybe I'll download it on my nook and reread before I see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aileen!

      Let me know if you try it - and I think you can order the tortillas on Amazon! <3

      Delete
    2. Oh duh! I go to Amazon for everything so I'm surprised I didn't think of that. It's unavailable right now but I'm definitely keeping an eye on it so I can order when it is available. Thanks, Danielle!

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to your next Summer Reading List! I've just ordered 'Signs of Life' by Natalie Taylor, as you suggested :)
    Have a nice week and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome- have you started it? I need to finish it this weekend.

      Delete
  4. ok, i am beyond excited for the great gatsby! it is one of my all-time favorite books.

    and yes, please do tell where that beautiful dress is from.

    AND! happy early birthday!! c:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lacey!

      It's from Target actually and $22 I think! SCORE! And I think it's on sale now, so check the sale racks when you go.

      Thank you for the birthday wishes. :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I totally do the same thing with food. I once ate avocados for every meal for almost a month. Just an avocado. It was ridiculous. But so yummy. And once I'm over it, I move on to the next food obsession. ;)
    Enjoy your 30th sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara! I am the same way about avocados, except lately I have had the worst luck with them and have gotten stringy, slimy ones. Nasty. :(

      Delete
  6. You look lovely, that dress is so cute.
    Have an amazing 30th birthday celebration! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jef is my faaaaaaaaaave!! he is just so stinking cute and sweet and what a great job he has!! I almost think that he's too good for emily....like he's just too down to earth and she's too money minded...but we'll see as everything unfolds! maybe i'm just thinking that way because I want him for myself ;) happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Early Birthday! I turned 30 last year, and I have to say being in your 30's is actually great, so I know your feeling about being happy. Great post. and I just decided to reread Great Gatsby due to the trailer, I never finished it in high school when I was supposed to read it, so I'm going to dive in and I hope I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looovee that dress!! I knew the instant I saw it it was TARGET!! because I almost bought it myself!! your rockin' it!!!! :)

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks very nice - i like the shirt! Where do you bought it? :)

    xoxo

    www.paradieskind.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really pretty hair! So lovely :)

    Happy early 30th! I'm turning 30 in less than a month. Looking forward to celebrating and starting a new decade of living. My mom always says her 30's were the BEST. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel similarly about my old room at my parents' house. It used to have writing and doodles all over the walls and ceiling from all of my friends, but has since been painted over. I also have boxes of high school things and old clothes that I like to sift through when I'm home. (JNCO jeans? Yes, I am keeping those!) And yes, I too have a container of notes from junior high. Those are pretty hilarious to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new hair color! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the hair color. sometimes it's good to change it up. my parents repainted my room the second i moved out (coulda been because it was hot hot pink). they left all the stickers on my closet door though. super excited about the great gatsby too! leo as gatsby was the best decision ever!!

    http://challengedromantic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. happy early birthday! i always enjoy reading posts like these because i can really feel your happiness :) have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday and WOW I think I had heard they were doing a Gatsby film but this just looks amazing! I'll have to read the book again although I'm thinking there will be a few changes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute dress! I'm excited to see the Great Gatsby too! Happy early birthday!!!
    ~Sara
    sarastrauss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. cute dress! and i also have a guilty pleasure of watching the bachelorette too! Emily and her daughter are so sweet! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. jef is so dreamy and sweet. i adore him. i hope he wins, or at least stays for the bulk of the season so i can admire him for awhile. ha. happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Baz Lurhmann and I can't wait to see the new Gatsby either. That trailer was amazing. I love how theatrical Baz's films look.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so excited about Gatsby either!! I love Baz Lurhmann. My hubs and I are going to re-read the book this weekend, as it's been awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I adore that dress! I'm also so excited for the Great Gatsby movie, too! Have a fabulous birthday celebration this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm super excited about The Great Gaspy too! I love the cast :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the haircolor! I cannot wait for The Great Gatsby!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday weekend. Hope it's perfect for you. Love the lighter color.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am SO excited about The Great Gatsby. It looks like a movie people will either love or hate, but I trust Baz Luhrmann to at least make it interesting. And Leo never really disappoints, does he? Maybe this time he'll finally get his Oscar. (But I say that every time a movie of his comes out nowadays.) But yeah, I loved that book when I read it in high school and I can't wait to see this version.

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh man, i know what you mean about getting a flood of past memories in your old room. my brother and i moved my mom out of the house we grew up in last summer and it felt sad, weird, and good to pack up -- like closing a chapter and moving on to the next.

    i actually blogged just a little bit ago (http://ohhmerp.blogspot.com/2012/04/little-update.html) on feeling so happy and like everything had come together in my life in this really wonderful way. it sounds silly, but it's so great feeling that happy! i'm glad everything is so perfect right now for you and HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We just did Romeo and Juliet in school and watched both the Luhrmann and the Zeferelli version and I thought they were both hilarious! I think I liked the Luhrmann version better thought. Something about grown men in multicolored tights just annoys me.

    Happy early birthday!

    <3Hima

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday sweet friend! I LOVE the highlights! Your already gorgeous but the highlights def make your eyes pop a little more :-)

    I LOVE the new bachelorette!!! I think Emily is so sweet, I actually cried with her when she voted off that one guy in West Virginia. I didn't care for the guy but I cried for her heart, she is just to sweet.

    Have a great birthday weekend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes! Your hair looks awesome. Don't change it from here. I always thought this color would look so lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the dress. For lunch this week I had pierogies sauteed with spinach and onions, sprinkled with mozzarella and provolone cheese. yum!

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my goodness! that hair colour suits you so well (even though darker suits you too)! and that dress is so cute and perfect for summer =D

    http://whereeyesmeetmyphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your hair looks amazing! And that dress looks totally adorable on you x

    ReplyDelete
  35. That trailer looks incredible. I actually might have to read the book again. I ate the same thing for lunch every day for each year of school. There was the graham cracker and peanut butter year, there was the yogurt year, there may have been a pb&j year, but it was so long ago I don't even remember it... I just know I don't really like them anymore...

    I hope that you're having an incredible birthday experience (I believe your birthday was this past Thursday)... and I'm so glad that you are deep-down-happy. That's awesome. That means it might be possible for the rest of us as well :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips