Sunday, May 20, 2012

Kiddo/Adult Recipe: Baked Zucchini Sticks

DSC_0080

Are you ready for the easiest little recipe ever? This is a side dish/snack our whole family loves, but one that Henry especially enjoys thanks to my Mom, who originally introduced it to us!  These baked zucchini sticks take 5-10 minutes to prepare, 25 minutes or so to bake, and one second to eat! But really, Henry scarfs these things down. You can also make a healthy dip to use with them, or eat them on their own.

Here's what you need:

Zucchini
2 egg whites (for a vegan option try using non-dairy milk to bread)
Panko bread crumbs (here are the kind we use - click through to see their GF options also)

DSC_0016

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350. Peel the zucchini and cut into small strips, about the size of a french fry. You can make them thinner to get more of a crispy strip, or thicker for a juicier one.

Baked Zuchinni Strips Baked Zuchinni Strips

2. Dip each slice into egg white, then cover with bread crumbs. If you're feeling adventurous, feel free to add some spice to the bread crumbs too!

Baked Zuchinni Strips Baked Zuchinni Strips

3. Place the strips on a baking sheet (I prefer to use parchment paper for easy clean up) and bake for about 25 minutes at 350. Your cooking time may vary, but just look for the edges of the strips to get slightly brown and crispy looking.

Baked Zuchinni Strips

4. Enjoy!

Baked Zuchinni Strips Baked Zuchinni Strips Baked Zuchinni Strips  
See more of my Kiddo/Adult meal and snack ideas here.

16 comments:

  1. Those look super yummy and Henry is just the cutest little guy ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to try this..AND how handsome is Henry?!
    Have a great weekend, Danielle!
    xo
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this!

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I never liked zucchini before but my mum fed it to me last time we went there for dinner and it was quite nice. She just fried slices in garlic which was delicious. I might have to give this a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having a lazy dinner night - these will be perfect with the shrimp cocktail I just bought to avoid cooking a real meal. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have three boys all under the age of 6...i love all your kid friendly ideas for snacks/meals! keep 'em coming!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE that they offer a GF & DF option on those crumbs, I seriously can't wait to try this now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm I love zucchini. I have never tried it baked though! I will next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those look great! i LOVE zucchini...and usually make chips out of them....but i'll have to try the fries! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will add these to the recipe box! So simple but wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got some summer squash to make these since I couldn't find organic zuchinni at the store today. I'll let you know how they turn out. xo

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love zucchini and this is a much healthier alternative to fried zucchini. Definitely saving this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grandmother always used to make these, besides being so yum they are also very cheap! (Particularly if you use the plain breadcrumbs)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i make these for the kids all the time! we always have an over abundance of zucchini from our garden so i have to get creative ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look incredible. Sound like a good alternative to homemade sweet potato fries :) - - maybe the summer version if you will.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips