Thursday, May 3, 2012

Literate & Stylish: Ashley from That Is All

LS
The premise of Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it. 



from Ashley, of That Is All

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

A quick glance at these pictures might lead you to believe this post is about The Great Gatsby. It’s actually just my Kindle cover, but while we’re on the subject, if you haven’t read The Great Gatsby, you definitely should. I plan on re-reading it before the movie comes out.

While there are dozens of classic books I hold close to my heart, the book I want to share with you today is one I recently read. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is technically Young Adult Fiction, but there is something in this book for you no matter your age.

 It is in one of the most unromantic settings, a cancer support group, that this love story begins. Hazel is sixteen and has lungs ridden with cancer. A “magic,” experimental pill is prolonging her life, but she’s not naive. She understands that one day she will die from this disease, and therefore is living her life so that her death will affect as few people as possible. Enter gorgeous, magnetic Augustus, who has had to have a leg amputated, but is now in remission. He is immediately drawn to Hazel, but she keeps things at a friends-only status because of her life’s expiration date.

As these two go off on some crazy adventures, we get to watch the love story unfold. You will laugh. You will cry. Your life will be better for having this book in it. (Oh my, I’m being dramatic, but it’s only because I really want you to read it!)



33 comments:

  1. Such a coincidence I just finished that book last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures - and oh so true! That book is amazing!! Definitely read it if you haven't already.

    And for bonus points, check out John Green (the author)'s tumblr in which he has been answering questions about some deeper aspects of the book. But only look after you've read the book alrighty? AFTER!! =) The link is http://onlyifyoufinishedtfios.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh! thanks for posting that tumblr link. i'll be checking it out later this morning. :)

      Delete
    2. ahhh! that tumblr just made my life exponentially better. thank you for posting the link!

      Delete
  3. i just read this book back in february! it was an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the next book on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stack of books on my nightstand is going to groan, because I'm definitely adding this to the bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! I can't wait to read this book!! I have heard nothing but great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I've been wanting to add more great books to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this feature. So many great new blogs PLUS books. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't expecting to be so enraptured by this book, but oh man was I. Such a beautiful story, I have recommended it to every person I know. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard or cried so much while reading ever. This feature is wonderful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard good things...I'll have to check it out from the library! And how have I never seen this blog series before?! Such an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to read this book for a while - thanks for kicking it up a notch for me! ;) I loved Looking for Alaska,so I might as well read John's other books,too,right? Nothing wrong with The Great Gatsby,either! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book is so perfect and wonderful. John Green is one of my heroes. There are books, and then there are books that change how you see the world... for me, it was one of the latter. I love it so much and could talk about it for days and days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this book is on my list and i want to read it even more so after reading this post. also this is my recent favorite blog series - thank YOU for the sweet blog intros and the books recs. love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness. I am definitely putting this book on my "to read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Between that book at Looking For Alaska my life is made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great book to add to my to-read shelf! I'm loving this series!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read one other John Green book, Paper Towns, and LOVED it. I was totally blown away. I've been meaning to read more of his books so I'm going to add this to my wishlist right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds great! Going on my list of books to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I literally just finished that book 20 minutes ago.
    I know a lot of people loved it and all, but I couldn't put it down. Throughout the whole book I was tearing up and laughing and then crying again. I don't re-read books unless I LOVE THEM (ie. Perks of Being A Wallflower) but this is one I'd read over and over again.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love the concept of this feature! ;D because even pretty girls read! yeah..!

    dottie
    theymaysaythatimadreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. That books is on my (very long) books to read list! This review has bumped it very close to the top! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The book is headed to the top of my must read list - loving this series!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i 100% agree that "your life will be better for having this book in it." at 32 years old, i might say it is my favorite book. it's true - crying one minute, and literally laughing out loud the next. LOVED IT!

    and wonderful idea for a feature! i look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the only book that has ever made me sob uncontrollably. Words can't even begin to describe how emotional and amazing it is. If you haven't read it yet put it at the top of your list, and check out the rest of John Green's novels while you're at it! He's great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adore John Green and his writing. I haven't read this one yet though so I'll have to get cracking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want a Kindle just so I can have that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So true, I cried and laughed multiple times while reading this book!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips