Sunday, May 6, 2012

Marathon Weekend

Right now I'm enjoying the last bits of Henry's naptime, snuggled up in bed watching Parenthood. I just started watching this show and I'm pretty blown away. It's really, really wonderful. And not wonderful in the trashy television vein I sometimes find myself in, but wonderful in its great writing and talented actors. I think I've cried at each of the episodes I've watched so far!

This weekend has been a whirlwind of go-go-go, so it's nice to just sit for a moment and relax. My cousin Matt came up from Tucson on Friday night and then ran in the Whiskey Row Marathon Saturday morning. Even though Matt lived in Arizona and I grew up in NJ, we still spent a lot of time together growing up and having some funny memories. It was great to have him visit, and even cooler to be able to cheer him on while he ran. Next year Hank and I will be doing the 10K while pushing Henry, and I'm really, really excited! And on a related side note, apparently marathons make me extremely emotional. Hank was dying from laughter as I teared up no less than ten times as I watched people finish. "Oh my gosh, that man is limping! And he's FINISHING! (tears)." "Oh wow! That woman must be 80! She is amazing! (tears.)" "Ahhh Hank! Look! I think that guy is waiting for that woman so they can cross together! That is so sweet! (tears)." Tears, tears and more tears. I don't even know what came over me, but it was really bizarre...and next time I attend a marathon I'm thinking water proof mascara should be mandatory.

The rest of the day was spent walking around downtown and enjoying some beautiful weather. Then this morning we met family for brunch then hiked up and down Thumb Butte which was a lot of fun. All in all, it's been a very great but long weekend! Now we're about to cook some dinner- orange "chicken" and broccoli- and then I'm counting on a laid-back evening.  Tomorrow morning the gym calls bright and early so I'll be curling up with the AMAZING book I'm reading right now (more on this later) and getting to sleep early.

Here are a handful photos from our weekend -

Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend Whiskey Marathon Weekend

21 comments:

  1. I am the same way- getting emotional at the drop of a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a 10K. Thats awesome! I know I told you on Instagram about the 5K I just did at the Bronx Zoo, but there were so many parents with strollers - it was really awesome. One dad even carried his toddler daughter most of the time, then put her down at the end to cross the finish line with him. It was really cool to see that. Have you two ever ran a 5 or 10K before? If you haven't, get the app 10K Runner - I used the 5K one + it rules. Also, if you're in need for new running shoes (its a legitimate reason to buy new shoes!!), check out the Asics Gel-Noosa Tri. I run in them + they are super lightweight + comfy. Plus, they are obnoxiously loud, which makes them even more awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend :)
    I love Parenthood btw! I seriously cry on every episode. It just gets me all emotional. I'm hoping they renew it for a new season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesomeness. I think I would cry watching people finish as well. I mean it's quite a long run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parenthood is absolutely fantastic! I've been obsessed with it since it first aired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Races like that always make me cry, too! I just feel so happy for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was just laughing at myself about this earlier today! i've been getting choked about little things -- like a story about someone being nice to a stranger, etc. embarrassing! but kind of normal too, i guess : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parenthood is great! Unfortunately I believe I stoppsed watching on the last season (or maybe the one before that) because I started school back and was just too busy for TV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tend to cry at the weirdest occasions as well and my boyfriend loves to make fun of me because of that. Guys will never understand... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parenthood is such an amazing show :)
    Awesome job on the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. everytime I see your photos from downtown Prescott, I always feel so homesick! plus all the lovely weather... siiiigh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, I just teared up reading about your marathon post. I also find myself tearing up during the star spangled banner before any event-emotional much?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. if you think you first of parenthood is emotional, wait til you catch up on the show. sheesh. i can't make it through a single episode without bawling like a freak.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be there crying right along with you at the finish line! Things like that just well the emotion up inside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're not alone - I get super emotional at "odd" times too - quotes totally necessary because they're not odd to me, damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to run a marathon, but running isn't the best for me because of my flat feet and joint problems. Boo.

    But I think it's so funny that you kept tearing up! I'm so the same way. I tear up watching commercials if the music is right. I'm going to a wedding this weekend for people I don't even know that well, you can bet I'll be sobbing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My brother recently ran the London Marathon, and we watched the footage on TV, trying & failing to keep an eye out for him, and I welled up so. many. times. It felt a little ridiculous to be getting so emotional about it, so I'm glad it's not just me! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, I get teary when someone else accomplishes something big. I'm planning on running a half marathon this summer (gah. scared. 5 miles almost killed me last weekend.) and I wonder whether I'll cry at the finish line or whether my tears are reserved for others!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cry when people even talk to me about their marathon experience. It's such an amazing accomplishment. I am pregnant now so the tears are always flowing be it talks of completing a marathon or watching the contestants on The Biggest Loser. I live in waterproof mascara these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look how big Henry is now! Awwww.

    Don't worry about crying over the marathon. Haha. Some people (like me) are extra sensitive. I cry over the smallest things too. It's ridiculous. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Genuinely my spouse and i enjoy the time and effort you made to share with you the information.The niche this i identified really was powerful for the topic that i had been exploring for a long period

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips