Monday, June 4, 2012

Currently.

Untitled
Sunday Funday! Yesterday was awesome.

Reading: A couple of books. I am about to start Insurgent today (part two of the Divergent trilogy) and I'm really excited. I've also been checking out different gardening books. Our backyard is in the process of being landscaped and although I grew up with a Mom who grew everything in our backyard, I am clueless. We have a huge yard that will soon be perfect for a garden but I have no idea where to begin. I just want to start really small, so if any of you have any recommendations on books or websites to check out I'd love that!

Watching: So Henry still takes two naps a day, and I usually use the first nap to get things done around the house (dishes, vacuuming, etc.) and then the second nap I'll typically watch some television via Apple TV while I work on blog stuff. His afternoon naps is usually at least two hours so I can often watch a couple of episodes of whatever show I'm into at the moment. I finished up Parenthood (amazing) and decided I'd start something a little different so I watched the first episode of The Vampire Diaries. Now, you need to know that I have a love for really cheesy shows, especially ones on the CW or ABC Family. Remember my obsession with Make it Or Break It? Anyway, even after the first episode I knew I'd love it so that's what I'm watching now.  I love vampire stuff, and I am definitely a Twilight fan (even though the writing is horrible and NO vampire story can ever hold a candle to Anne Rice), so this is a fun show to add to my vampire show love-list, along with True Blood.

Anticipating: today! Well, later today. One of our best friends Alex is coming to visit with his girlfriend Stephanie, and we are all so excited. They are on a cross-country trip to move Stephanie to San Francisco from Brooklyn, and they are stopping here for a couple of days. Alex has already visited our little town but Stephanie's never been here (and we've never met her!). So I'm really, really looking forward to the next two days.

Laughing about: Henry's ever-growing vocabulary. A friend asked me how many words he uses right now, and I said about 15, but then Hank and I counted last night and I think it's closer to 25. This kid's vocabulary has exploded over the past week and I feel like he has a couple new words everyday. Yesterday Hank and I were dying from laughter as Henry yelled "COOL!" about 100 times in a row on our drive home from Phoenix. "COOL! COOL! COOL!" over and over. It was too adorable to be annoying, but ask me again during our next two hour drive. ;)

Listening to: The Swellers. I don't know what took me so long! Hank loves this band and I always avoided listening to them for one reason or another, but while driving last week he put them on and I fell in love! The song "The Best I Ever Had" pretty much sealed the deal for me and I'm looking forward to seeing them live this upcoming Sunday.





Eating: one of the best pizzas of my life at Le Grande Orange. Now, I'm from the East Coast so I feel like I know pizza, and the pizza I've recently had at LGO is up in the top three pizzas I've ever had, and the best "gourmet" pizza by far. We got the roasted corn pizza, which is also topped with goat cheese and basil and it is truly to die for. If you've been to Phoenix, have you ever visited LGO? If not, seriously make a trip, and seriously try their corn pizza. It's amazing.

Working on: a couple of things I feel like I'm always working on. It's a weird thing, being a human. No matter how many times I tell myself to do this, or not do this, it's always hard to really change your ways, no matter how big or how small. But then I think about things I've accomplished in this mind of mine, and it's promising when I feel discouraged. I used to be so sensitive towards criticism, mean comments, or things of that nature. And it's par for the course when putting your life out there. Granted I only share a small portion here, but still, I used to get devastated when I'd see that someone had left something unkind in this space. I cared far too much to the point of letting it ruin my day (which makes me feel kind of pathetic to admit). But I was surprised recently when I received some particularly vile remarks that it didn't bother me in the least. I know it seems silly, but that was a huge triumph for me. I can talk the talk all day about being positive, but 100% walking the walk no matter what has always been a little difficult. I feel like I'm more there than I've ever been, and this makes me so happy. So I think to things like this when I find myself feeling defeated by personal goals I'm working on (why did I let that person's shittiness get me down? why can't I just get up and feel motivated every morning? etc etc...) I think to things I've overcome and it keeps me moving forward and making progress.

Wishing: That my family lived closer. My sister and her husband are building a house out by my parents', but I wish so badly I could transport all of them up here.

How about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments for everyone to check out. And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

47 comments:

  1. I haven't tried LGO yet, but your recommendation has me very curious to try it out. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started watching Vampire Diaries last night and I'm hooked. I was being lazier than ever after a long weekend and the husband was at work, so I think I watched 5 episodes (pitiful, I know! haha) Reality TV isn't my thing, but give me fantasy, fiction and sci-fi & I'm committed!

    PS: I'm loving the idea of this post. Maybe we'll get one going too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being considered a nerd for liking vampires and Anne Rice...now all the cool kids like vampires that sparkle in the sun instead of burn, haha. I couldn't get into twilight but as cheesy at it can be I love vampire diaries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a really nice weekend, Danielle! I don't live very close to my family either (other than my mom, who I live with) so I have to do the whole weekend trips thing to see my brother, SIL and nephew. It doesn't feel like often enough but it'll have to do for now!

    I read Insurgent back in April and personally wasn't crazy about it. Which sucks, because I LOVED Divergent. Hopefully you'll like it more than me! But I think as a teacher the grammar & the poor editing of the novel is just going to kill you ;)

    LOVE Parenthood!! <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww I love The Swellers! I've been friends with them for years so it makes me very happy to see them randomly show up on a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first started gardening in earnest, I picked up a copy of The Garden Flower Book. It really helped me decide which plants work best for my garden and my climate. Amazon has some used copies available and I really recommend it (or try to find it at your local library perhaps.)Here's a link to it:

    http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Flower-Book-Bay-Books/dp/0681630450/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338825509&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this - I thought it was a super cute idea and definitely wanted to jump on the bandwagon myself.
    I did a 'Currently' blog over at http://vntgfee.blogspot.co.uk :)
    And I still REALLY love this blog layout. Just the *tiniest* bit jealous right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please let us know what you think about Insurgent. I have some... things to say. I'll leave it at that for now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gardening is so fantastic...there is nothing better than eating something that you yourself just plucked from the ground. There is a book and blog called, You Grow Girl which has a fin perspective on it all. Good luck in this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post! thanks for sharing! I"m glad you had a great weekend! have fun with your house guests! i love having company:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely loved the Insurgent/Divergent books, literally couldn't put them down! You'll have to let us know what you thought when you finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love love The Vampire Diaries. My roommate got me started on it when we started college. Prepare yourself for some fun twists and turns.
    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seriously love all things vampire-related as well.
    I grew up with reading Anne Rice too.
    I've watched the Vampire Diaries from the beginning and it gets even better.

    The show is actually based on a book series from the 90's (or something) and those are just as good as the show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for spreading this around! i posted a currently list as well...seems like a great way to keep track of the day to day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I need to watch The Vampire Diaries! I've missed out on lots of shows like that, maybe this summer is the perfect time to catch up! And I decided to do my own Currently post today. Thanks for the inspiration!

    http://jggreen.blogspot.com/2012/06/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made me laugh with Henry's "Cool" comment. My little guy has been shouting 'TRUCK' over and over again and now he's saying DOOR over and over. Yesterday he said "Bye bye pee pee" when he heard the toilet flush. Pretty funny stuff these little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been hearing about Le Grande Orange for the last few years but only recently connected it with LGO haha. I've only been once, but it was amazing! I definitely can relate to trying to walk the walk to all my talking the talk, but it's been very difficult, hopefully it gets easier for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post! I did a currently post too! Thanks for the awesome inspiration!
    http://perfectimperfectionsjournal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. "The Best I Ever Had" is one of my fave songs ever. I saw The Swellers last September in Melbourne and they were so good! I'd never even heard of them and they blew me away. And they were really nice guys too - they stuck around to talk to fans and meet people while the next few bands played. They left a really good impression on me.

    And The Vampire Dairies is my guilty pleasure at the moment too. I die with laughter every time Stephan tries to look pensive/sad - he juts look confused. (I love me some Paul Wesley though.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. no joke, you are the fifth person that has recommended Vampire Diaries in a matter of 2 days! congrats on letting the negative comments go...that is a tough one, really and truly. this afternoon, I was feeling especially grateful reflecting on such a lovely weekend, so I guess it is somewhat similar to a currently post...
    http://cocoonofchaos.typepad.com/cocooon_of_chaos/2012/06/lovely-lovely-gratitudes.html
    may you enjoy your little vacation! thanks for your constant candor and honesty...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fer reals though...Vampire Diaries? Welcome aboard the-cheesey teen drama that can kind of also be directed at adults-train. I caught that bug a couple of years ago and still find myself watching episodes when Chad's gone or has already fallen asleep and I'm wide awake. It's like at the end of each episode you just HAVE to know what's gonna happen next! Haha! Love it! Anyway, I'm totally doing a "currently" post today...just because. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love this post! I read the Vampire Diaries books, and I couldn't get into the series it was a little too different for me. Super bummer, because I have always loved vampires.

    You inspired me to post my own version of "Currently" great post idea, loeve it!

    http://freeasabird215.blogspot.com/2012/06/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need to catch up on Vampire Diaries! I had moved last year and didn't get anything hooked up for a month so I had missed so much that I quit watching. I think at this point I'm like a season and a half behind.

    Ooo I am LOVING this band! Must listen to more :)

    I finally joined in on currently after seeing it so many times:
    http://adventures-in-amberland.blogspot.com/2012/06/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also watch cheesy shows during Judah's 2nd nap :-) recently I started watching the gossip girl (ahhh its sooo addicting!!!) Im on season 2 :-) LOVED parenthood! Watched all the episodes a few months ago, I was crying every other episode and please can I have a family that has random dance parties. I'll have to write a blog post sometime soon on my husbands cheesy dance moves, you can tell we both worked with high school students because I think he used his dance moves to get them to laugh at him and unfortunately Judah is starting to mimic his moves....Judah may not have a date for awhile ha ha ha

    Im loving this new dairy free pizza I recently found at trader joes. I was feeling sick for awhile and once I was eating dairy free I started to feel GREAT! The only problem is that dairy is in everything :-( but TJ 's and wegmans has some great substitutes :-)

    Judah's recent words are "all done" and "Yo gabba" he makes me laugh :-)


    PS your the sweetest blogger I know of.... I have no idea who could say a mean word to you and if they do I would hate to see what they would say to a awful not so nice blogger.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm addicted to Vampire Diaries, too. I just watched all three seasons with my roommates before we left for the semester. Such a good guilty pleasure show! And thanks for recommending The Swellers. I've never heard them, but I really loved "The Best I Ever Had". I'm hooked now!

    After reading this, I decided to put up a currently post of my own!
    http://www.sincerelybrittany.net/2012/06/currently.html

    Thanks for sharing your "currently" post with us!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Completely obsessed with Vampire Diaries, even though the cheese factor totally exists. The season 3 finale rocked my world. It's a huge bonus Netflix has 44 episodes streaming.

    ReplyDelete
  27. As always, love these posts!
    Here's mine...
    http://athinaj.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/currently.html

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. love these! just did mine: http://ohhmerp.blogspot.com/2012/06/currentlyin-pictures.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1) If you love CW/Cheesy shows, you will LOVE "Hart of Dixie." Its so good that you will forgive Rachel Bilson for her less than stellar acting abilities. I think all of the episodes from the first season are still available on the CW website! I'm a fellow Real Housewives franchise, bachelorette/bachelor series, true blood, fan. I think this will be right up your alley.

    2) I used to work at LGO. Hated working there, LOVED and still LOVE eating there (I was actually just there this evening). Can you believe I have never had a pizza though? AH! When you go back, and if you are there in the morning for breakfast, get the pancakes. They are not actually pancakes as advertized, they are crepes covered with honey, creme fraiche, and strawberries, and magic.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am always eager to see what you're reading! You find such good books & I appreciate you sharing them, gives me ideas.

    http://thepeachdiariess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I read the Vampire Diaries books when I was 12, so I was super excited when the show came out. It is nothing at all like the books, but still makes for great guilty pleasure TV. I'm Team Damon all the way!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. i always enjoy when you do these posts :) perhaps i'll give one a try later today!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I also wish my family lived closer. I definitely know that heartache...

    And my little 21 month old busts out a new word every day it seems, and every day it surprises me (in an amazing way).

    You inspired me to do a currently post: http://tabihappy.blogspot.com/2012/06/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this idea! Done my own at: http://samsbubbleofthoughts.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  35. i just read it and made me remind of you:
    http://www.countryliving.com/outdoor/gardening/garden-plans#slide-1
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. cute post! I love The Swellers, perfect pop punk and so righteous for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I tried my first "Currently" post if you would like to read it. Happy Summer :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  38. My 2 year old saw the picture and said "look at the kids in the pool!" He was quite excited.

    Here's a link to my currently post: http://followk.blogspot.ca/2012/06/currently.html

    Thanks for the inspiration as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. It looks like you had an amazing weekend away! Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday to Hank!

    I think I need to watch the Vampire Diaries. I just watched True Blood for the first time and it was a bit confronting but cool - maybe Vampire Diaries is next? x

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love these posts! I haven't seen Parenthood in a while but that show is awesome! I agree that it can be really hard to change your ways. I have a tough time with this :)
    link to currently post: http://www.postpartumandpigtails.com/2012/06/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Danielle! I just love your Currently post. I love the photo in the pool. It makes me want to jump in one as well!!!

    xoxo
    Ida

    http://asplashofida.blogspot.ca/2012/06/i-am-currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm anxious to read those books. I've heard great things about them. Isn't it fun listening to new words?! Love it. I'm a new follower, here from Beautiful Blendings and I posted my own "currently" post too! :)
    http://eisleyraeclothing.blogspot.com/2012/06/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ohh I love The Swellers to. Your blog is amazing!! I´m a big fan.
    http://birdsandsongs.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  44. I wish you could live with your family! The best food that I ate is the Best pizza in Melbourne. The Pizza that you ate was also the best pizza for you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips