Monday, June 11, 2012

Happy, today.

Untitled

 5 Things making me happy, today:

1. You've Got Mail being on television- is there anything better than Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan? Answer: no. Tom Hanks is probably my favorite actor of all time, and in my opinion, this movie in particular is one of his very best...and one of my all-time favorites!

2. And on the subject of Tom Hanks (a phrase I never imagined would be used here, and also on my twitter 2x yesterday), something else TH-related that also makes me happy is a little joke Hank and I played on my parents' the other night. They know I'm getting tattooed Monday, but didn't know what, so we convinced them I was getting Tom Hanks' portrait tattooed on my thigh. My Dad was so weirded out kind of disgusted, and my Mom tried her best to be sweet and ask questions like "so why would you get that? I've never heard you mention really liking him before! ...but I'm sure it will be lovely!" We let it go on for awhile before telling them we were kidding, but it was hilarious and made me laugh until my cheeks hurt.

3. New friends. It's so hard making real friendships as an adult, and although I have so many great girls in my life, I don't have many who live close by. Since becoming a Mom I've met some amazing new mama friends who have little ones that are Henry's age! There's nothing better than being able to sit and talk and relate so much to one another, and best of all, I'd be friends with these girls even if we didn't have the whole motherhood thing in common.

4. Reading. If you follow my blog regularly you know I love television. I don't even try and hide it, and in the words of my mother "I just love my shows!" But I only have so much "free time" once Henry goes to bed, and honestly, there are better things to do than binge-watch Sons of Anarchy (although there aren't many better things). I usually go through phases of reading and most months I'll be super into it, choosing to read over watching television before bed. That makes me feel the happiest and the most fulfilled. This has been one of those months. It helps to have a huge list of books to work through and I'm so happy to be in the middle of a couple good novels.

5. Shows. Music has always been the biggest part of my life, and Hank's too, but recently we had this whole realization that we hadn't been to a show or seen a band play in far too long. It's weird (and I guess slightly cheesy) just how alive seeing a favorite band play makes me feel. So since we had that conversation we've gone to a few shows and had the best time. Last night we went and saw The Swellers play in a venue I spent a lot of time in when I was younger, and it was weird being there, and being 30 and not a teenager. It's bizarre, and while we watched one of the very young opening bands I couldn't help but get emotional thinking about how wonderful it is that all of these kids have a place to go and be themselves too. I think this whole topic deserves another, longer post from me, but for now I'll leave it at how happy it makes me feel that we've been going to a few shows here and there.

I'm off to the gym now, and then to get tattooed later on! I'm not looking forward to the actual process, but this one is a particularly special one and I've been looking forward to it for some time. I'll share some photos tomorrow. Have a great Monday! xo

39 comments:

  1. I love You've Got Mail :) I can't wait to see what you are getting a tattoo of!

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your new tattoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, fellow Tom Hanks fan right here!
    Good luck with your tattoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this list! Thanks for bringing some happiness into Monday!

    -Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. tom hanks & getting tattooed...sounds like a perfect day in my book too! can't wait to see what you're getting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am laughing so hard at the tom hanks thing. that really sounds like something my husband and i would do to my parents. when i was pregnant with my first son, we couldn't agree on a name, and my mom kept pestering me about whether or not we had picked anything out. so we finally told her that our son's name was going to be 'dangus clyde.' my mom's reaction was similar to your mom's. she was trying to be sweet about it, but you could tell she was really shocked at our choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to see your new ink AND share in your Tom Hanks adoration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally feel you on the whole difficulty making friends as a "grown-up." I love living in Austin with my boyfriend, but I don't have any friends or family close by, and it really starts to get to me at times. It's like college is your last chance before motherhood to meet new people and form relationships! UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cute list. sometimes it is nice to be reminded of the things that make you happy on a Monday

    Treasure Tromp

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't agree more with the nostalgia and experience of seeing a live show! I haven't been to on in a year, and this week I'm going to see my uncle play. So excited for that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it encouraging that you've found such good friends now that you have a little one...I'm hoping the same will happen for me (whenever that day comes...hopefully not too long!). It's super hard to meet people once you're an adult, and all of my close girl friends live hours away. My mom has always said she met her closest friends through me when I was small, so I guess it's something to look forward to?

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw what a great post! thanks for sharing! and i love your red flats!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love You've Got Mail too!!! Especially when they were talking about boquets of freshly sharpened pencils and other random stuff. It's just nice to have someone to talk to and feel very comfortable.


    xoxo
    Ida

    http://asplashofida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thats hilarious that you tricked your parents!!! Ha thats something I would try to do ;-)
    I can not wait to see what you get and the meaning behind it :-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I go through reading phases too! Sometimes watching tv is so much easier and can be so addicting :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been doing the same thing with shows and books. I've been reading at least a couple of nights before going to bed instead of watching just TV (except Tuesday night I can't miss workaholics). I feel the same way as you do after reading before my bedtime. There is that sense of fulfillment and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've Got Mail is my favorite movie EVER. Ever ever. And Tom Hanks is one of the coolest people of all time.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Tom hanks! He is so dang talented. I cannot wait to see your tattoo! I bet it's a lovely as usual. Good luck pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally with you on number 5. I went to see Against Me open for the Cult on Friday and it was great! (Joan Jett got on stage to do a Replacements cover with Against Me!) The only thing that was a bit of a bummer is that a bigger concert like that just doesn't quite have that wild energy of a good punk show and it made me nostalgic for 10 years ago when I used to go to shows all the time (including Against Me when their shows were NUTS). Live music is still wonderful though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Matt and I are seriously addicted to Sons of Anarchy. We got into the show around season 2 and have been hooked ever since. But we also get into kicks of reading books and not watching TV - we like them both equally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i defiantly agree with the friend thing. i've moved back home after college, and a lot of my friends from here have moved away. its hard making new friends as an adult. i usually find the work atmosphere challenging too, i always want to be friends with my coworkers, but that is not how it usually works out.

    i'm excited to see your new tattoo! i'm still debating weather to get one or not, i'm not sure if i could handle the actual tattooing. i think that i'll start with a super tiny one!

    -katie

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great photo of you three and let me add you look extra fabulous! I always crack up over your love of television shows, and love that you write about it. . We gave up tv when our son was born 4 years ago and currently only watch netflix or rent movies. Our friends and family think we are SO weird because of it. We might get it again this fall so my husband can watch sports at home, I wonder if it will change our daily lives? Anyway, fun post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So nice to hear your comments about friendship when your an adult - sometimes I think I am the only adult who tries to make friends.

    What books are you reading right now?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't wait to see the tattoo! I've been dying for another.


    Christen
    http://www.anunordinaryhello.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd love to read more of your thoughts on shows. My husband and I grew up in the punk scene in Chicago (he played in a band called Cap'n Jazz) and now with two kids I'd like to think they both will have a community like that to belong to!

    I wrote a little bit about it myself here: http://aforeverhouse.blogspot.com/2011/07/go-back-in-your-mind-twenty-years-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yep, I'm curious about what you're reading now too...?
    Also, totally feel ya on the friends-after-mamahood thing and on missing going to shows. My husband and I just went to one recently and it was a blast! It'd been far too long.
    Have fun getting tattooed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I remember the first time I saw You've Got Mail on TV, what started as vague channel surfing had me glued for the entire duration! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahhhhhhhhh, so excited to see the new tatt! Also, I need to get back into my reading, I cleared out my bookshelf yesterday and found about 10 books I bought ages ago (in some 2 for 1 deals) and havent read. So excited to start.
    P.S. I love TH too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful :) Your post made me smile :) good luck with the tattoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love You've Got Mail, but I think my favorite Tom Hanks movie right now is The Money Pit. I can't sing the Name Game song without thinking of that movie! It's completely underrated; a must-see for any TH fan. :o)

    Good luck with the tattoo! Can't wait to see it! (I am so jealous ... wishing I was getting another one any time in the near future.)

    ReplyDelete
  31. one of my favorite pastimes is convincing my mother i'm about to get a ridiculous tattoo she'll be embarrassed to be seen with.

    ReplyDelete
  32. business cards online

    Hi. You inspired me to make my own list. I'll start with it later. This should be fun. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looking forward to seeing the new tatt Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  34. such a cute family! love your cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a lovely family! i enjoy reading your post. Stay happy
    sweetie :)

    Laser Hair Removal Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love You've Got Mail!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOVE LOVE LOVE "You've got Mail" one of my all time favorites. I watch it everytime it's on and I even own it, lol!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips