Sunday, June 17, 2012

Like Father, Like Daughter


I'm so lucky to have my Dad as my Dad. He may have been the strictest father around growing up, but he's taught me more in my 30 years than any other person I've ever encountered, and now as a parent I fully understand that he was so strict because he cared so much. My Dad's lived the most interesting life; he was born and raised in Bolivia, has traveled all around the globe, lived in various parts of Asia, and is one of the most fascinating people I've ever met. He's taught me so much about not only being a good and decent human being, but also countless lessons about working hard and being a leader in any situation.

The older I get, the more I see my Dad in myself. He's in so many different parts of me- my argumentative, stubborn side, my occasionally fiery temper, but also in my deep love for my family and my willingness to do whatever it takes to ensure they are safe and happy. I think of my father countless times throughout the day; when I make sure the door is locked (twice), when I say "be careful" every time Hank leaves, or whenever I open my car's trunk and see the emergency kit and bottle of water he always makes sure is present.

My father had a horrible near-death experience a few years ago where he died twice and was revived twice, and I feel lucky that I got a second (and third) chance to make sure he knows how much I love and appreciate him. During that long stretch while he was in a coma I got to think a lot about our relationship, and I am so, so grateful for all of the "extra" time we're living.

And now, seeing my sweet Hank as a father is another one of the best things in the world. I feel so fortunate to have such great men in my life, and if Henry grows up to be anything like Hank or my Dad, I will consider myself a very lucky mama.

So happy Father's Day, to my Dad and to Hank. I love you both!  And Happy Father's Day to all of the wonderful men and women out there who are dads or father figures in some way.  I hope you all have a beautiful Sunday.


  1. Love reading this! My father passed when I was very young, so I love too hear a lady really love and respect hers! Not everyone does the same.
    Hope you have a great day!
    Amy xo

    1. Amy my father also passed away when i was young and i too LOVE hearing when people really love and appreciate their dads.
      Hank sounds like one of the good ones

  2. That is a beautiful photo of you two. He sounds like a magnificent man!

    Happy Father's Day to the fathers in your life, and to all the fathers that your readers know and love.

  3. A beautiful story-from the heart&soul. Wishing you a happy fathersday-xxx-Sil.

  4. Your father sounds like such a strong, loving man! Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt message about him. Enjoy your father's day with your hubby!

  5. Thank you for sharing such a sweet post about your dad. My dad has taught me so much in my 30 years too. You have inspired me to write a letter to my dad too. Enjoy your day with your husband.

  6. What a sweet post. I hope you guys enjoy your day today!

  7. Beautiful! I feel the same way about my Dad, my best friend. Thanks for sharing.

  8. Nothing like the way a girl loves her daddy! What a sweet post. :)

  9. what a beautiful post! and i love the pic of you two:)

  10. Jeez, this brought a tear to my eye! This post is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

  11. This is so beautiful! I don't give enough love to my dad and he means so much to me. I really have to change that :)xx

  12. what a beautiful post, Dani. So glad you and your Dad are getting these extra years together. What a blessing! Happy Father's day to all of the special men in your life!

  13. These Fathers' Day posts have all been making me tear up - yours is no exception, loved reading this. Also, awesome first picture, I really like how the wedding dress frames your tattoo/tattoo frames your wedding dress, beautiful.


Blogging tips