Thursday, June 28, 2012

Literate & Stylish: Liz from SRSLYLIZ

LS
The premise of Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it. 


from Liz of SRSLYLIZ

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. by Judy Blume

Growing up as the oldest of all my sisters has been a rewarding experience over the years. It's been both heartbreaking and awesome seeing them grow up and come of age and witness all of their failures and achievements alike. I often wonder what it would have been like for me to have an older sister to look to for advice and guidance. Luckily for me, I have an amazing mother and I've always had books to turn to and identify with, growing up. Some favorites included The Babysitters Little Sister series and the Beezus and Ramona books. However, the story that resonated with me the most was Judy Blume's Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I swear I must have read it a dozen times when I was 13. It talked about all the stuff I was curious of, but too embarrassed to ask anyone about--boys and starting your period. It wasn't a "how-to" guide by any means, but it was relatable and most importantly, reassured me that what I was going through & feeling at that age was normal--something every pre-teen desperately craves. I'll always be fond of this book & hopefully if I have a daughter someday, will encourage her to read it, too.

 

see previous Literate & Stylish posts here.

15 comments:

  1. That was one of my favourite books too! I was a massive Judy Blume fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I LOVED this book as a child and will probably always love it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that may have been the first book I ever read. Oh the fond memories of myself with Judy Blume books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUCH a cute series and great idea!! I've been getting back into reading big time recently, and love the stylish twist you've put on it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love judy blume! i read so many of her books growing up. i may have to go back and re-read "are you there god? it's me Margaret"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice, and, Liz, your outfit (like always) is gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that book! Funny story- growing up, my dad used to read with my sister and I before bed, and between the ages of 8-10 I made him read that book to me 3 times. How embarrassing to look back on! Only by the 3rd read did I really grasp what it was about, and that it may be awkward for a dad to read to his daughter, who was clearly oblivious! I can still hear him reading "I must- I must- I must increase my bust!" Luckily, my dad was a champ, and never made me feel weird about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This just made me giggle. Amazing!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, what a fun series and I love Liz's choice. This book is ICONIC!

    Totally going to work on a submission for this series, it's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alyssa your Dad is amazing! Forever was my fave... saucy. But also excellent messages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the book too and for me its beautiful to start up a day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My brother just gave me a copy of this book in Spanish for my 31st birthday! I was so excited, because I have the book practically memorized, so it's a great way to practice, and read a good, timeless story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not gonna lie, you're kind of making me want to go back and read it. That and the Alice books. I also read the first 101 books of the Babysitters Club series. I'm going to have to go back to the Young Adult section, so many good choices...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED reading this book when I was in my pre-teens! This post has definitely inspired me to pick it up again. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips