Friday, June 22, 2012

Our 1st Day of Summer

I'm an Autumn girl through and through, but there is something about summer that really gets me excited. Here in Arizona, even up here in Northern Arizona, June 20th doesn't feel like the first day of summer at all- it kind of hits somewhere in early May. But it's still a day to celebrate because really, why not? It's funny because when I was a student and later a teacher, summer always had such a feeling of freedom and always held such promise of adventure. I can still remember that excited feeling of signing yearbooks, teachers letting us act a little crazier than normal, and then that glorious, final bell at the end of the last school day. And even when I was a teacher myself, I can recall finishing my grades, closing up my room, and getting in my car, driving away with the windows down, looking ahead to a wide open summer. Well, that's kind of a romanticized version. In reality no matter how much I had loved the past year, I'd rush to turn my grades in as quickly as possible, literally run out of the school, throw off my confining, tattoo-covering cardigan, breathe out a huge sigh of relief I didn't have to deal with the occasional annoying student anymore, and get the hell out of there. And my windows were actually probably rolled up so no one would want to talk and slow me down. Truth.

But really, besides thinking back to that sweet post-school freedom, to me summer is about family and friends. We always seem to slow down a little more, want to take the long way home, make time for downtown walks and try to eat outside as much as possible. I love it. And since Wednesday was the first day of summer Henry and I decided to enjoy it with a little picnic with friends and ended the night downtown with Hank, eating Mexican food on a park bench and people watching for awhile. Perfect.

Happy summer!

1st Day of Summer 1st Day of Summer 1st Day of Summer Untitled-1 1st Day of Summer 1st Day of Summer 1st Day of Summer 1st Day of Summer

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to start the summer! The weather is not my favorite (I'm a fan of Autumn myself), but I do love my rituals of summer: fresh fruit in the backyard as I take a break from swimming, catching lighting bugs in a jar (I always let them go, and the top has holes in it), ice cream cones from Mr. Softee, and just taking time to slow down and enjoy life.

    Will you + Hank be taking Henry to see fireworks this year? I loved the magic of them when I was very small, even though they are a bit noisy.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. online business cards

    I so love Summer. When I think of summer, beach time comes to my mind. It's time to show off some skin and those colorful swimsuits. If you have that sexy body to flaunt, this the right time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. alabama is the same way when it comes to heat. my oldest son came home from school saying that it was the first day of summer. ok. maybe 'officially' it was. but it's been 90 degrees for the past 6 weeks over here! i'm definitely an autumn girl too. that's when my husband and i met, and it always brings back such happy memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is also my favorite, though I love summer for exactly the reasons you mention... Especially in Chicago, where the winters are brutal, we relish every last drop of warm weather. Everything slows down significantly, if only for a few short months.

    As a pregnant gal, I will admit that the heat as taken a toll on me this year. I think I'm secretly looking forward to NEXT summer, when I will have a little one to have picnics with. :)

    Great shots of you and Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fall's my favorite as well, but there is something great and freeing about summer.

    have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an autumn girl too! What a fun way to start the summer! A picnic!! It looks like your little one had fun:) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I really wish I was having a picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It feels like Autumn here up on the west coast of Canada! It's been grey and I've had to wear my thick sweater walking to and from school. Your weather looks absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the perfect way to start summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check out those cheeks!
    I think we have had a grand total of 5 sunny days where we are in England. That's not to say we haven't been picnicking but it's been with cardigans and other layers on standby! Having grown up on an island in Ireland, summer to me means days spent in the sea, fishing, and playing in the woods. I get kinda antsy when it's warm in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first day of summer is always a good reason to celebrate :) Even though I live near Phoenix and summer can be too hot to handle...

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous shots Danielle! What a perfect way to celebrate the first day of Summer while I'm sitting here shivering in the middle of Winter..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We never really got a winter (it was 80 last Christmas) or a spring (we were swimming in natural springs since February) here in FL. I love summer but I'm so ready for the fall! Ha! Im loving the afternoon rain showers but not the miserable heat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so great - perfectly summery!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips