Sunday, July 22, 2012

5 Things I'm Loving

 Here are five things I'm loving, right now:

1. The Gaslight Anthem's new album Handwritten

Now, I really, really love this band already, but I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't too into their most recent album, American Slang. I loved everything prior to that though, and although I do really enjoy some of the songs on A.S., it wasn't the best. Handwritten, however, is really amazing. On the first listen I was tearing up and getting the chills (I'm a nerd, I know). And the lyrics are just fantastic. If you want to listen to it before it releases next week, stream it here via NPR (and thanks to those of you who sent me this link!).

Gel!

2. Gel nails

I love to paint my nails but I hate that they chip within a couple hours due to all the wear and tear they get either at the gym, washing my hands a million times a day, or just playing with Henry. On my birthday my girlfriends and I all got manicures and pedicures, and I tried gel nails for the first time. I was hooked! I try not to get them every time because I know it's a good to take a break, but it's so hard when I can go over two weeks with no chips! I love it. Have you tried gel nails? What do you think?



3. Revlon's Just Bitten Kissable Lip Balm Stains

I love these. I've seen them all over beauty blogs, girls going crazy talking about how wonderful they were, and I wasn't sure they'd actually live up to the hype. Well guess what? They absolutely do! I think the best part about these is that they have such a rich color AND are totally moisturizing. I hear they sell out pretty quickly when they're in stock, so head over to your local drugstore and pick one up. I've tried a couple but my favorite by far is Lovesick which is the bright pink one on the right. Let me know if you try it. And I should also add that this little endorsement was in no way sponsored (along with anything else in this post!). I just really like the stuff.




4. The Bachelorette


The finale is tonight and I don't care what you Bachelorette-haters say, I love this show! I am fully aware that much of it is fake and staged but I still love it...and I think every season I say "no, this season is so real and different from the others!" But really, this season does seem different. I just really like both Jef and Emily, and I hope she chooses him and they work out. And speaking of Jef, if you're a fan of the show you have to watch this video up there if you haven't already. Thanks to my girl Liz for sending it to me.

From our family walk tonight. It's always one of my favorite parts of our day!

5. My new Nikes

I have been on the hunt to find new running/workout shoes forever and I finally found exactly what I was looking for in the Nike Frees. I got the platinum and yellow version of the Free 4.0 V.2s and I love them. They super comfortable and very, very light and pliable. Plus, they're pretty much the cutest things I've ever seen. If you're in the market for new shoes, I definitely recommend them.

So there are my five, how about you?

Revlon photo via

33 comments:

  1. love gaslight anthem, and your pink nails :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pink nails! i wish i could pull them off...

    p.s. we have the same running shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing. I mean, NOTHING beats the chills you get when having a pair of new running shoes on. <3

    heelshockeyhistory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lip balm stains look really good. Don't know if they're in the UK yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That video is too funny! And I totally think Jef and Emily will definitely work out if she picks him!
    Those new running shoes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to disagree on the gels and The Bachelorette, but I just pre-ordered the new Gaslight and I have the same Nikes. I'll have to check out the lip stain as a tie breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha oh man that video was awesome!! Thanks for sharing I got a good laugh. I am do team Jef and I can't wait to see how it all pans out

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new kicks!
    After getting gel manicures, I don't know if I could go back to regular manicures. My nails look flawless for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That video was too funny. When she started crying! I wonder what she thought after seeing it haha.

    I'll have to try the lip stains. Anythink lipstick-y and I love it haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard great things about gel nails.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am listening to the gaslight anthem's new one right now... thank you for posting! they are awesome. i posted about them over at my music blog if you want to check that out:

    http://therealmusicality.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/the-vespers-the-gaslight-anthem/

    and the bachelorette is a staple with me and my roommate... no shame! :) One F Jef all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything on this list! Jef is definitely my pick for Emily. He's such a sweet guy and he has amazing style. Also, your nails are gorgeous! Do you get gels on your toes as well?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah I love the Gaslight Anthem! I'm so glad they have a new album and are touring. Got tickets to see them in Anaheim in September and cannot wait!

    Your gel nails look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to check out the Gaslight album. Love your bright neon shoes by the way - I recently got some shiny gold Mizuno's and I love how flashy they are.

    Manicures aren't even worth getting but Gel manicures are worth it!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been getting gels since January and am hooked! I am taking a break from them right now due to $$ and because I've heard they can make your nails brittle (I've not seen that on my nails yet).

    Also, I'm obsessed with lipstain and colored lip balm - those Revlon versions are fantastic! They're a knock off of Clinque's chubby sticks and definitely the same level of quality. I'm kicking myself for buying the Clinque version!


    Hope you are having a blast in NYC! Also I never commented about your hair but the lighter color looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with the Jef & Emily this season, too - I just hope she picks him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoy the Gaslight Anthem, too. Thanks for the link to the new music!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that new Gaslight Anthem as well -- I used to be a pretty big fan of them and then they just sort of fell off my radar for a bit and now I'm really reconnecting with their sound via the new one and it's so great!

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gel nails are great because they last longer and are less damaging than acrylics, but I also recommend Shellac nails. With shellac you get the same result as gel, but you don't have to soak them off in acetone - after about two weeks (or more!) you can peel/scratch it off. It costs the same as a regular manicure here in NY, about $25 depending where you go. Totally worth it! Loved the color you picked btw, so hot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely need to try that lip balm. I keep forgetting to look for it in the store... making a note on my phone right now to go get some this week. I've been looking a long time for something like that, with color but that won't dry your lips out. Plus I'm just a junkie for lip stuff anyway. :)

    And I am going to have to check that album out. Always on the lookout for music recs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loveee this post so much! For starters, I'm also currently obsessed with The Gaslight Anthem, specifically Handwritten. It's such a beautiful & wonderful album! I could just listen to Brian Fallon sing all day long and be happy.

    Secondly, I'm lusting after the Nike Frees at the moment in either the aqua/grey or blue/orange! Crossing fingers for them as a birthday present!

    I'm also really into skinny jeans in this colour: http://cdnb.lystit.com/photos/2012/01/20/rag-bone-mustard-zipper-capri-jeans-product-3-2749201-716752082_medium_flex.jpeg

    This cologne, but for myself despite it being a men's scent: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/viktor-rolf-spicebomb-eau-de-toilette-nordstrom-exclusive/3280721

    And lastly, these eyeshadows: http://www.temptalia.com/mac-electric-cool-eyeshadow-collection

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know if I'll ever be able to buy anything Nike after seeing that Michael Moore movie. I just feel too guilty...

    But regardless, your gel nails look gorgeous. I've been really wanting to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. HAHAHA! that video about jef holm is hilarious. i just watched it & cracked up.
    "I just want him to be happy!" ahahahaha.
    i LOVE your nikes, too. i just got some all-neon pink ones at the nordstroms sale this weekend. the funny thing is that i was trying on TOMS and then the lady brought them out... and i couldn't say no.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aw, I love positive posts like this! Your new Nikes are pretty awesome! I just got some bright, colorful running shoes too: http://travelingphoblogwripher.blogspot.com/2012/07/life-lately.html
    They're bright pink and blue so I just think they're great. But let's see, five things I'm loving: Rain! On Mystic Lake by Kristin Hannah, Italian food for dinner nearly every night lately, Larabars, Bath & Body Works foaming anti-bacterial hand soaps. =]

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those lip balms are so great! I can NOT wear lipstick but I've bought five different colors this week and have worn one every day. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE Bitten lipbalms!

    And seriously, I'm so in love with Jef. I swear he is the only genuine guy in the history of Bachelor and Bachelorette. And I think she is really into him too but has reservation about how unconventional he is. Which is such a shame because I bet they would be so happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for sharing the bachelorette video....that made my morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I absolutely LOVE your nails and new shoes! They look great.
    I'm with you on loving The Bachelorette. It's a guilty pleasure for sure.
    -kellie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never had gel nails, but I have done Shellac a lot! Same thing in the sense that it lasts 2-3 weeks without chipping, but Shellac is supposed to be healthier for your nails, and makes them stronger. It also only takes about 10 minutes to soak off (I've heard gel and no-chip take 30-40). Not all nail salons offer Shellac, but you should definitely check it out!

    tiffinink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've heard so much about gel nails, I definitely want to try them soon. I got those same shoes recently and I'm in love with them. They are so light and comfy, and also adorable. I've gotten so many compliments on them, and it's actually really motivating to exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I named my blog after a gaslight song! I don't think many people get it. I also just tried out gel nails. I got them done for a trip and almost 2 weeks later they are still perfect! I will have to check out the lip balm!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your nails, they're such a bright pink! I need to get one of those lip stains; I've yet to find one that doesn't dry out my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  33. AH! That video is hilarious. I would be so mad at my mom if she put that on the internet.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips