Monday, July 30, 2012

Currently.

Untitled
Henry watering plants at his Aunt's flower shop.

Loving: being a family of three. Earlier this summer we thought maybe it was time to expand our little family but we didn't, and now we are thinking about waiting until Henry is two.  We are just loving how everything is right now that it's hard to imagine changing it up...but then I think about another little one and my heart wants to explode from happiness. So I know it'll hopefully happen, but the real question is when! On a side note I can't believe I used to say I wanted 5 or 6 kids! Whoa...

Reading: Okay so I decided to see what all the hype was about and finally read 50 Shades of Grey. I didn't know too much about the story outside of the fact there was a lot of sex, but I figured if I could handle the insanity of Sociology of Sexuality in college I could deal with a few pages of kinkiness. First of all, the writing definitely leaves something to be desired, but I did find the storyline to be engaging. I want to know what happens to Ana, to Christian, to everyone! And so I powered through the first book, blushing on the plane as I read some "interesting" parts, hoping my seat mate didn't look over my shoulder and see some of the words I was reading! Yikes. I'm halfway through the first book and I'm kind of embarrassed to say I'm pretty wrapped up in the storyline. I could take or leave all of the sex parts, but like Twilight, as much as I wish the writing was better I still care about the characters. I'll let you know when I finish the final book.

Watching: not much. I've been reading a few books including 50 Shades so I haven't watched a lot of TV at all. I'll tell you what I did watch though, and that is the Bachelorette finale. Oh my goodness, talk about sweet! I love Jef and Emily and I know this makes me sound slightly insane but I have a feeling they might actually work out. He just seems so down to earth and normal and I am hoping everything falls into place for them.

Thinking about: privacy and Henry. I think a lot about this blog and about what it will mean for Henry when he is older. I'll do a little 20-month update for Henry tomorrow, but for the most part I try to keep it more about what we do as a family, and keep any sort of Henry over-share out of here. I just keep thinking about all of these kids being adults and having potty photos pop up when they're googled. So as far as my own kids, I won't ever cross that line. And of course no judgement for those who wish to post photos like that, it's just not for me. I'll keep on blogging about our family and what we're up to, talk about milestones or different changes as Henry gets older, but if there's ever a time when he's not into photos or being a part of this space that's a-okay with me. That's also assuming I'm still blogging then. And looking waaaay too far into the future! ha. Have you thought about this though? I'm always so curious to hear other bloggers' thoughts on it.

Anticipating: Hawaii! We're going to be heading over in about a month and I'm so excited. This will be Henry's first time having his own seat on the plane and I am excited to pack him a tiny backpack full of treats and things to keep him occupied. I have such fond memories of traveling a lot with my family when I was little and my parents always made it a really special time. Lauren and I had our own little matching CareBears suitcases packed to the brim with new books and small treasures, and I can still remember how excited we'd get whenever we'd get to fly somewhere. I hope to bring that same magic to Henry.

Listening to: the new Gaslight Anthem, as I've talked about a million times! It's just so good. I can't pick a favorite song either. I go back and forth between Keepsake and Blue Dalia. Have you heard it? Do you have a favorite song? My friend Erin and I will be seeing them again in September and I can't wait.

Working on: lots of working out! I am just loving CrossFit, loving the feeling I get when I leave with my WOD complete, and I love how much stronger I already feel. I enjoy that CF focuses on strength and personal bests rather than dieting and trying to get super skinny. Lifting weights has always been my favorite part of fitness and I'm enjoying learning so many new moves. Yesterday we did a ton of dead lifts and I'm feeling it today, not to mention the insane bruises on my shins from the bar.

Wishing:
that NY was a whole lot closer. I'm still on an "Emily high" from my trip last week and I miss her terribly. Although I've spent countless time in the city, this visit I really fell in love with it. I consider myself a small town kind of girl, but after this trip I could kind of, sort of imagine Hank, Henry and I living in a place like NYC, at least for awhile. I love Brooklyn and had a few super special nights out with friends I won't be forgetting anytime soon. Distance, why do you have to be so difficult?

So, how about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments for everyone to check out. And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

46 comments:

  1. Today I'm packing for my trip to the south of France!! We're only leaving on Wednesday night but packing makes everything a bit more real and gets me all excited, really weird. My boyfriend just bought the new Gaslight Anthem CD and I LOVE IT! I had never heard of them before but I really like them! :D Also I wanted to say I really like your vision on privacy for little Henry! And his shoes in the photo are awesome! Can't wait to hear about 50 Shades of Gray. I'm planning on reading it as well but I'm not convinced yet! We'll see!

    much love!
    Saar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean about the privacy for children thing, but I also think that, by the time Henry is in his teens/twenties who knows what the world of the internet will look like! Also, it isn't like you are always calling him by his first and last name, so I don't think it is going to be too much of an issues (though I am with you on the potty pictures)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exactly the same with the 50 shades trilogy. I did not want to read them but got too curious by everyone talking about them!

    I have done my own currently post; http://alittlebitofeverything-colette.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/currently.html

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want a real surprise try listening to the 50 Shades audio book. I noticed the lackluster writing a lot more listening to it than reading it. Some of it was so awful I would have to rewind to hear again.

    I really respect how you give us a glimpse of Henry's life without going overboard. This world is changing so fast and I don't think anyone really has a clue what social media and the blogging world will be like in 20 years. Sometimes I read things parent's write about their kids and while it seems innocent enough I wonder how it will effect them growing up, if they are bullied in school for it, will it ever impact their future careers. The most important thing to remember on the internet is it's sometimes impossible to take back anything you write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow- this hit home in a lot of places for me! My son is the same age as Henry and we had the exact same thoughts about it being 'time' to think about another at about 15 months... and now we're kind of enjoying how easy and natural everything is and not quite ready to upset that apple cart :)

    Bachelor is my guilty pleasure, my husband is horrified! I was glued to that finale... and embarrassingly watched it all over again the next night (yikes!).

    My blog is itty bitty so the privacy issues are also much smaller, still information is out there and searchable and I do think about it. I choose not to use our first names too frequently to keep search engines from popping up the blog right away... but once a blog is the size if your's I imagine all bets are off. I do share a lot about my son because documenting those moments is a huge piece if what drew me to start the journal/ blog, connecting with so many smart and inspiring people has been a giant bonus.

    Long comment- thanks! Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been in the process of starting my own blog for a month or so now, the one thing I have been stuck on his how much to share and how much not to share. I am naturally very open person. However, when it comes to my partner, my almost 20 year old daughter and my 8 month old son. I too am not sure on how much to share. Would love any advise on this topic.

    Julie
    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those shoes on that cute Henry

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is too cute! I did my own currently post! Thanks for the inspiration! ttp://perfectimperfectionsjournal.blogspot.com/2012/07/currently_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm continuing to refuse to read 50 Shades because it glorifies an abusive relationship and perpetuates rape culture. It does NOT accurately describe a dom-sub BDSM relationship. in. the. least. I have, however, taken great pleasure from reading other authors tear it apart, chapter by chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about privacy and my son as well... right now I try to keep the updates on my blog fairly standard - milestones and whatnot - things that I don't think would embarrass him when he is school age. Most of my blog traffic is just family and friends anyway, so I'm not too concerned, but I've posted a naked bum picture or two on it and/or Facebook, and while that's cute for now, it's definitely something I'll start to be more careful of as he gets older and always think in the back of my mind whether he would be embarrassed by it when he's older. I want to be honest when I write about parenting, but I'm on the fence about how much information I should share, and for now I try to be careful as I figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually did a currently post today!
    http://travelingphoblogwripher.blogspot.com/2012/07/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. The privacy thing is definitely a sticky subject. My oldest is only three, but I hold a lot back because I don't want her to be embarrassed when she runs across my tiny blog when she's older. Then again, her generation will grow up with so much technology that it may not feel strange to her to have her life chronicled on the internet at all.

    I started 50 Shades of Grey, and I just couldn't do it, especially once I saw it in the hands of my high school students. Adults, sure. Teenagers, not at all. PS--Have you seen Jimmy Fallon's 50 Shades of Grey karaoke on YouTube? Absolutely hilarious.

    And Hawaii?? I'm so jealous! Enjoy!

    http://where-is-my.blogspot.com/2012/07/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a Mom yet, but I have often wondered about the privacy of our child on my blog (whether a lot of people read it or not). I've debated on giving our child a nickname as well as being very selective about the type of photos I do put up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading your "currently" posts are one of my favorites! I did one of my own the other day. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration :)

    http://thewoodsonway.com/2012/07/26/currently-5/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear you on 50 Shades of Grey. I didn't want to, but then I wanted to know what the hype was about and when I started reading it it was so crazy that it has gone so mainstream. I just feel like most people are such prudes! There was a girl reading the hard copy at the gym and I found it kind of awkward knowing that book can't go a couple of pages without an intense sex scene, lol.

    I actually did a currently post last night!

    http://www.barkerzoo.com/2012/07/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read the entire 50 Shades trilogy and loved it. As long as you look past the writing style and throw reality out the window, it's an easy and enjoyable one to get wrapped up in! I hope you enjoy them all.

    jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. like you, i've been watching more tv lately than reading (shame on me!) - thanks to the Olympics and Vampire Diaries. and when i was much younger, i used to think i'd want to have 10 kids - ha! i don't even have one right now, but being older, i'm thinking more along the lines of 2 or 3 one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm reading 50 shades too + I agree with everything you said ;) I think Emily + Jef will make it too or I hope they do. I'll be posting my currently later today! ♥ Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's up now :) http://dailydoily.typepad.com/peaceloveandcupcakes/2012/07/currently.html

      Delete
  19. I felt the exact same way about 50 Shades! the writing was extremely repetitive and annoying, but the story line kept me intrigued. I did my own currently post today too: http://mandeefofandee.blogspot.com/2012/07/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. You inspired me to start writing again and to do a "Currently" post on Mondays!


    As for the over-sharing and internet privacy, this is something I battle with all the time. While I don't have kids, it's still kind of a frightening feeling knowing that anyone, anywhere can read your posts. I think you do it the right way though. You create interesting, creative content but don't have to share every little minute or detail of your day. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love reading your Currently posts. So glad I started my own.

    http://ourabercrombiefamily.blogspot.com/2012/07/currently_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am the exact same way on the kids front, Danielle!
    I'm friends with a bunch of moms who also gave birth to babies this past November, and there are FIVE of us who are already pregnant again.
    There are moments where I'm like, going crazy with jealousy (haha), and at other times I'm just thinking, "Phew. Glad we're not there yet!"
    As of right now, we're pretty sure we're waiting until Tatum is potty trained to bring another little one into the mix.

    The privacy issue is definitely something I think about quite a bit.
    The main focus of my blog has been Tatum, ever since I was pregnant...but there will absolutely be some things I leave out. (Bathroom photos, revealing bath time pictures, any stories that could potentially embarrass.)
    I just never want her to throw that back at me someday (which would be totally fair) and say she didn't appreciate it, or that she felt like her privacy had been invaded.
    She is her own person and for the most part (besides the little, tiny things I do share), she should get to tell her own story.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love this feature! i finally decided to do my own :)

    http://comeandplaytoday.blogspot.com/2012/07/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know what you mean about the family of three thing. I used to think I would have kids 2 years apart, but my boy is three and a half and we are still just a family of three. It's just too much fun to have Gavin all to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  26. you say you're not watching much but i need to know WHAT to watch now that the bachelorette is over!?!? something on netflix!?! ahhhh...my monday feels so uneventful ;) i loved loved love jef. as a single gal that guy really just stole my heart and made me realize i should never settle for anyone less than awesome! hahaha i feel cheesy saying that tv show taught me that..but for real yo.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hawaii sounds amazing. It's no wonder that you are excited! I was super happy with the Bachelorette finale too. Hope Jef & Ems are in love forever. Also everyone and their brother seems to be talking about Gaslight Anthemn so I think it's time for me to go listen.

    I made a Currently post too
    http://lovelyladykatieann.blogspot.com/2012/07/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree with Jessica - I think most people will have at least one aspect of their lives documented somewhere online and will be used to it. I actually wish my parents had taken more pictures when I was growing up. I really like the candid ones because so many are from birthdays or holidays. It's so nice to see the every day random ones. I don't think our kids will be able to say that!

    Here's a link to my currently post:
    http://followk.blogspot.ca/2012/07/currently_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, I must say the book have insanely gone into social circles this days. Aside from that, I look forward for your trip posts to Hawaii. :D Got my eye on your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this idea and I've kept meaning to post my own which I finally did (mrssometimes.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/Currently.html). I can't bring myself to read 50, I just can't do it but at your suggestion I nominated the Lifeboat for my book club and everyone loved it so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just finished the final book of the 50 Shades trilogy. I had to see what all the hype was about! I loved the storyline,but the writing was kinda ~ehh,much like everyone else has already said. I'm excited for that movie,though,too. Hawaii sounds wonderful right about now! Hope you have a great time! Also,I want to say something about the privacy issue thing,but words are failing me right now,so I'm just going to say that I understand your view and I agree with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  32. We made the same decision with waiting to have another child. And now, we have a three year old and 3 month old and I'm glad we waited. My daughter is so sweet with her baby brother and loves helping out. And I couldn't imagine having to change any more diapers than I already am :) I think the jealousy might be a bit more amplified the longer you wait but as long as you carve out special time with your oldest it's not too bad.

    And on privacy, I just recently made my instagram private so I can have one place where I can post whatever I please and know that only my closest friends are looking. It's a really nice balance to having a very public blog.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I did a "Currently" post. These are so fun to do :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this series. I did a currently post. Check it out here: http://jessicaebersole.tumblr.com/post/28467752066/currently

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this photograph of Henry. I can't believe how grown up he is looking!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I did one too! Love this series :)

    http://thelifeandtimesoftin.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. I always love these posts from you! I adored 50 shades. Sure the writing left something to be desired, but the plot like and characters really made me care about them. I'm about to start Bared To You which I heard is a good follow up to the series.

    http://hellolj.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/currentlyaugust/

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just finished the 50 shades trilogy and I am SO SAD that it's over!! I am completely in love with all the characters and just want to keep reading about their life together. I literally feel like I know them and can just call them up on the phone and go hang out! Haha, a little silly I know. I agree that the writing is a little weird and really really repetitive but in the end I got over that and dove head first into this love story. I hardly ever reread books but I'm sure I'll read this one again and again. I want E.L. James to write the story from Christian Grey's view! *sigh* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a fun post! I've read your blog but never said hi before (also follow your photos on Instagram). I decided to my own "Currently" post.

    http://thisisaurora.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. love this
    off to work on my own

    ReplyDelete
  41. Danielle,
    I started following you on IG and finally read some of your blog too. I appreciate you sharing your concerns about privacy: i have a little girl and sometimes wonder if i share too much on my blog. i'm glad that I'm not the only one:)
    love your photos on IG and your awesome personality!

    ReplyDelete
  42. FInally linking up :)

    xo,
    Christen Krumm
    ChristenKrumm.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. As ever, love your currently posts! Here's mine:

    http://andkissyourelbow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/currently.html

    Thanks for keeping me inspired! x

    ReplyDelete
  44. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips