Last night while on a family walk I caught myself wishing for fall. "Summer's fun," I said, "but nothing beats cooler weather, hot apple cider and cozy sweaters." Hank gently reminded me that I had said something similar at the end of winter this past year, longing for shorts and dresses and snow cones. It's funny, isn't it, how easy it is to want the next, the new, the not-now-but-then.
And it's the same mentality that sometimes has me wanting more, more more. Not thinking about what I have, but what I want. I just saw a sign on Pinterest that said "Gratitude turns what we have into enough." Isn't that beautiful?
So what that said, here are some things I'm grateful for right now:
- Summer. And being able to enjoy every last bit of it with Hank and Henry by my side.
- For having a husband who reminds me to be in the present and to enjoy the now. And who puts up with my sometimes overly-emotional ways. Case in point- my mini freakout last night over the beetle he found by my side of the bed.
- For The Gaslight Anthem's new album that's about to be released.
- Fresh, seasonal fruit, chilled a bit in the fridge. And even better? Sharing it with Henry.
- BBQs. And learning that all this time I actually did like grilled veggies.
- Old friends from college who know me better than anyone. And at the same time, those rare, new friends you feel you've known for a lifetime.
- Books I can't put down and Henry's extra long afternoon naps. I can't wait to tell you about my most recent favorite book.
- The Bachelorette being on tonight! I have no shame in my game. Team Jef!
- Lazy Sundays with my family full of snacking and movie-watching and cuddling on the couch.
- Seeing progress. Working on something for so long, and then finally noticing a change. I am SO grateful for this.
- And....I'm extra thankful that I'm becoming an AUNT! My sister is pregnant, and she and her husband Abe are expecting their first baby this winter. She's about 13 weeks along. I'm just over the moon for them, and I can't wait for Henry to meet his cousin and for Hank and I to spoil our little niece or nephew rotten. That's what aunts and uncles are for, right? I'm so excited!