Monday, July 9, 2012

Gratitude...and some extra-good news!

Untitled 

Last night while on a family walk I caught myself wishing for fall. "Summer's fun," I said, "but nothing beats cooler weather, hot apple cider and cozy sweaters." Hank gently reminded me that I had said something similar at the end of winter this past year, longing for shorts and dresses and snow cones. It's funny, isn't it, how easy it is to want the next, the new, the not-now-but-then.

And it's the same mentality that sometimes has me wanting more, more more. Not thinking about what I have, but what I want. I just saw a sign on Pinterest that said "Gratitude turns what we have into enough." Isn't that beautiful?

So what that said, here are some things I'm grateful for right now:
  • Summer. And being able to enjoy every last bit of it with Hank and Henry by my side. 
  • For having a husband who reminds me to be in the present and to enjoy the now. And who puts up with my sometimes overly-emotional ways. Case in point- my mini freakout last night over the beetle he found by my side of the bed. 
  • For The Gaslight Anthem's new album that's about to be released.
  • Fresh, seasonal fruit, chilled a bit in the fridge. And even better? Sharing it with Henry.
  • BBQs. And learning that all this time I actually did like grilled veggies.
  • Old friends from college who know me better than anyone. And at the same time, those rare, new friends you feel you've known for a lifetime.
  •  Books I can't put down and Henry's extra long afternoon naps. I can't wait to tell you about my most recent favorite book.
  • The Bachelorette being on tonight! I have no shame in my game. Team Jef!
  • Lazy Sundays with my family full of snacking and movie-watching and cuddling on the couch.
  • Seeing progress. Working on something for so long, and then finally noticing a change. I am SO grateful for this. 
  • And....I'm extra thankful that I'm becoming an AUNT! My sister is pregnant, and she and her husband Abe are expecting their first baby this winter. She's about 13 weeks along. I'm just over the moon for them, and I can't wait for Henry to meet his cousin and for Hank and I to spoil our little niece or nephew rotten. That's what aunts and uncles are for, right? I'm so excited!
So that's my list- how about you?

32 comments:

  1. congratulations to your sister! how exciting!

    and i do this too- always looking to what's ahead, having trouble with enjoying the present. it's something i'm constantly working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love posts like this because they remind me to be grateful for what I have, too. Yay for Team Jef, old friends, summer fruit, progress! All good! And congrats to your sister! How exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that quote a few months back and it became my motto. Such great words to live by! Congrats on becoming an Auntie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Lauren and Abe! So happy for them, what an awesome new chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Team Jef! Yes! I'm in the same place with wishing for the next seasons. I'm an aunt of 6 and 2 will be added to that this year... It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for your sister and her husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on becoming an auntie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on your sister's news!

    and thanks for sharing that quote. I really needed it today :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on becoming an aunt soon! yay. And I'm so on team Jef too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh! I try so hard to live in the now and then I get distracted by the beautiful thoughts of the future. Thank you for the reminder!! And congratulations to your sister! Henry is going to be the sweetest big cousin!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been working on staying in to moment too. It's more out of excitement about possible things to come but most of them are out of my control so I'm working on staying in the moment and letting go!

    I JUST became an Aunt a month ago and love love love it. Congrats to you pretty Auntie-to-Be!

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice :)

    Val
    http://valentinaduracinsky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's wonderful about your sister. :)

    And, I hear you about those autumn longings...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely quote to live by! Makes us appreciate that however dark it gets, we always have things to be grateful for. Congrats on becoming an auntie!!
    Lianne :-)

    rubyrubyslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on becoming an Aunt! How WONDERFUL for them! I'm loving fruit from the fridge right now too. That's the BEST part of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute sandals! Lazy Sundays are the best -- I had one yesterday, too :) And a big congrats to your sister and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aaawww, yay!!! So excited for your sister, your family, and YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gratitude is so important and yet so often we forget to make a point of thinking about all the things we are grateful for. Thank you for reminding me to do that today!

    Congrats to Lauren and Gabe, and to you for becoming an aunt! It is so much fun. I don't have kids yet so I'm totally relishing being an aunt and it is truly magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. aww! so exciting!! being an aunt brings SO much joy to my life.. i'm so happy for you (and her!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's nothing like bundling up and getting cozy. I too love when it starts to warm up but quickly tire of it and long for plump pumpkins, savory foods, and my scarf collection.

    Congrats on the news! There's nothing as exciting as a new baby in the family.

    http://thetemperatequail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhh...your post was just what i needed to read, thank you! I as well have not been very grateful lately and I need to appreciate more of the now.

    Your list sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear about your books. Oh, and I also love Gaslight Anthem and did not know a new album is coming out - I will check itunes right away for it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your book recommendations and I really hope the book you're reading is Gone Girl bc I just finished it and LOVED it. So crazy and I can't wait to talk to/ read someone else's take on this INSANE he/she said mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. awww yay!!! Nothing better than becoming an aunt! And having her live so close so your able to experience this together :-) I really hope my sister Rhonda has a baby soon, she is busy running triathlons and marathons with her husband (and Iron man at the end of the year).

    I am so digging your book recommendations!

    I LOVE grilled veggies! I didn't realize this until I had my father in laws grilled veggies, he is seriously the grill master.

    I hope your having a wonderful day
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that quote. What a beautiful post. And congratulations!
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. you have so much to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely post--we've been doing a gratitude countdown on my blog too. Summer's such a beautiful time to remember the good things in life! www.itreallyhas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aww that's so adorable! It's lovely to just take a step back and just be grateful for everthing you have, becuase the reality is that while you may always find things that are WRONG, there are always going to be so many things that are RIGHT, and I think it's important to take the time to acknowledge these things, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. From a cold room in the UK I can honestly say that I am looking forward to having some kind of summer once I move to America full-time at the end of the year. I am longing to feel some kind of warm weather! It was lovely when I left there at the end of May! I'd also like to say that I love the saying you found on pinterest. Makes you think doesn't it. Sometimes we overlook all the amazing things we have for the promise or want of something a tiny bit more. Congrats to your sister too!

    Www.fleurst-rate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. We are enjoying our first real rainy day this summer and it kinda feels wonderful. I love summer and I like my gloomy days as well. I kept two of the boys home with me today to veg at home. Congrats Auntie!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay! Congratulations to your sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations to your sister! That is so exciting!

    I've been thinking about starting a Daily Gratitude journal to help myself appreciate the daily good things. And this post makes me want to do so even more.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This post made me smile :) Complete summation of contentment!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips