Thursday, July 5, 2012

Literate & Stylish with Tin from The Life and Times of Tin

LS
The premise of Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it. 


from Tin of The Life and Times of Tin

Shantaram: A Novel by Gregory David Roberts

Shantaram was first suggested to me while bouncing along a dusty dirt road in a Jeep that was literally falling apart with each passing mile, somewhere in the south of India. I was chatting to some friends about books, and we decided it was high time we swapped some favourites. I lent out every Sebastian Faulks I owned and, in return, I got The Virgin Suicides and the recommendation of Shantaram. The first thing I did when I made it home was trawl through Amazon.co.uk until I found it, and then cry a little bit in horror at the size of it. It is a pretty colossal novel, but every page is worth it. Shantaram follows roughly ten years in the life of the author, after he escapes from prison in Australia and finds himself in Mumbai, India. The life of an escaped convict presents a number of obstacles for Roberts - or 'Lin__', as he becomes known - that eventually lead to him finding a new home in the notorious Mumbai slums. His relationships with both local and foreign characters add continuous twists to his adventure that are often bizarre, completely hilarious and, at times, heart-wrenching. The first time I read this book, I loved it because I could see so many of my Indian friends that I missed in the characters. The second time, it was the writing that really struck me and had me reading most pages two or three times to fully appreciate the beauty of Roberts' use of language. The third time, it was the hilarious situations Roberts found himself in (with the completely crazy friends he made!), and the fourth time it was the action that got me. Every time I pick up this novel I find something new to love, and I genuinely think this is a book that holds something for everyone. I promise, you are never going to want to put this down.


see previous Literate & Stylish posts here.

16 comments:

  1. J'adore le detail de la dentelle et la jolie couleur de ta tenue !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a huge book. Great plot though, I assume! I love these posts they are keeping my summer reading list alive.

    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such an interesting book! And I love the colors of her outfit!
    ~Sara
    sarastrauss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! A great way for your readers to hear about new literature :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this feature for the wonderful recommendations like this one. Definitely adding it to my to-read list. Thanks for the recommendation Tin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book too! I started reading it the week I moved to India. I honestly found the first one hundred or so pages really difficult to get through but everything was much quicker after that. Having lived here now so much longer, I want to go back and read it again... it is avery true reflection of life in India!

    Also The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga and Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo are great pictures of India, less difficult to read. The latter is about life in the slums and really got me in the heart!

    As always, love this series, great rec Tin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again for having me Danielle! This post was so much fun to write - I love a good book review :)

    And Kristin, I'm adding those two to my list - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress and the jewel tones of your outfit. Great look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snap! I love this book too. It's size is intimidating, but once you get into it, it keeps you involved. And it's also ok to put it aside, have a rest and come back to it. I reckon it could be 3 books, which wouldn't be so freaky to undertake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh good choice. I really enjoyed this book. A great epic tome and it reads pretty lightly too I think. Also-lovely colours in your outfit! Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love. love, love this book! And the outfit:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, love this book so much. I was passed a junky paperback copy when I was in north India in 2010. I was the seventh person to have read it - I knew this because everyone had written their names and where they had received it on the front flap. When I was finished, I did the same, and passed it on to a girl I met on the beach in Thailand. Reading books based in the country that you are in is such a special experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really wanted to like this, but the author was just SO smug. I'll probably still read the sequels, but would recommend Rohinton Mistry's 'A Fine Balance' to anyone wanting to read a fantastic book set in India over this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An update: I got to visit and have dinner and a drink at the famous bar from this book... I wrote about it a bit here:

    http://kristinechaos.blogspot.in/2012/08/a-day-in-mumbai.html

    Seriously love this series Danielle!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips