Sunday, July 29, 2012

Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken

Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken

Before I even get into the recipe let me first tell you how AMAZING this dish is. Chicken can be a little dry sometimes, but this was absolutely delicious, tender, and I wanted seconds...and thirds! Henry isn't too keen on meat and Hank doesn't eat it at all, so my wish was granted and all the chicken was mine. Awesome.

This recipe came from a few different places, and perfected in my kitchen. If you search "Paleo coconut chicken" or "clean eating coconut chicken" you're bound to find a million recipes. I read over a few but ultimately ran with it, and I'm so happy how it turned out.

This chicken is incredibly easy to make and I love that it includes just a handful of ingredients. Hank and I discussed ways to make it vegetarian or even vegan friendly, so perhaps I'll try that in the future. Let me know if you end up making this dish, and also let me know if you like it. I have a feeling you will!


What you'll need:

chicken breast
3/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup almond meal/flour
a pinch or two of sea salt
1 egg or two egg whites (I used 1 whole egg)
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
pan for frying

*As an afterthought, although the almond flour gives it a nice, subtle nutty flavor, I think it would be great to add some crushed almonds to the dry mix too. So if you have some on hand, give it a try!

Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken

Directions:

1. Mix the shredded coconut, almond flour and sea salt together in a bowl.

2. In a second bowl, beat your egg (or two egg whites if you prefer).

3. Dip each chicken breast or piece into the egg, then into the dry mixture, coating all sides evenly.

Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken

4. Heat up your coconut oil in your pan. I usually like to heat my pan up on its own for a minute, then add in the coconut oil. It should "melt" and turn to liquid.

5. Pan fry the chicken breasts in the coconut oil, until the middle of the chicken is no longer pink. The outside coating should turn a light brown.

6. Pair with some tasty veggies and enjoy! You may want to make my favorite salad dressing too.

Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken DSC_0225

17 comments:

  1. Yum! I definitely want to try this recipe :) Thanks for sharing!

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I often make coconut chicken and pair it with a sweet and spicy sauce - it really complements the coconut. I'll have to try it out with some almonds next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! So delicious that it almost has me wanting chicken for the first time in years! When I saw it on instagram last night I immediately wanted to tell you about a similar tofu I make because I thought I remembered you saying Hank doesn't eat meat. It's basically what you do in this recipe except it's vegan! Press your tofu and cut it into strips. Then you mix unsweetened coconut with almonds pulsed in the food processor. Make sure you salt and pepper the coconut/almond mix because it can be a little bland. Dredge your tofu in flour, dip it in coconut milk, then roll it in the coconut almond mix. Cook it in the oil of your choice. They are SO GOOD!! I could also eat seconds and thirds of those bad boys. Mmm..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This sounds like perfection. I'm going to give it a go this week. I love all things almond and coconut. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have given me a reason to finally buy that jar of coconut oil I eye every time I'm in Trader Joe's! This sounds soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I will definitely be giving this a try. I've made coconut chicken before, but the recipe is much heavier and much less healthy. But it was really good dipped in a sauce made of soy sauce, orange juice, and cayenne pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious!

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious and very paleo friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I think this would be great with mahi-mahi for a pescatarian take.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks and sounds so good! Definitely going to try making that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this yesterday. But instead of the egg I used curried greek yoghurt and baked it all in the oven. It was delicious! A western twist on the tikka marinade. Thank you for the inspiration!

    Toni x

    http://ettas-corner.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so yummy! I can't wait to try this, but with tofu! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried this last night. It was so very easy to make! I had never cooked with coconut oil before, but I am a fan of it now. Thanks so much for the recipe. It was delicious! www.aimlesswonders.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for giving step by step process of Coconut Almond Chicken recipe and it is looking nice. New different taste of Coconut Halwa recipe.It is very attractive recipe and taste also good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    the greasy chicken

    ReplyDelete
  16. I randomly found your page and tried this dish. It is outrageously delish! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips