Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Rodeo Dance and a Broken Tooth

Did that title draw you in? Did you think I went to the Rodeo Dance, got a little too crazy, and broke a tooth dancing? Haha. Nope. But I'll fill you in. I feel like I've been so busy with the holiday weekend, house guests, and some minor mishaps I haven't had a chance to sit down and write proper update! Where to begin? First off, this past weekend was wonderful. I've already posted a bit about some of the daytime festivities but Saturday night my girlfriends (and our one lone boy friend, Landon) went out for a night on the town. We started with dinner at a little tapas place called El Gato Azul. This was the second time I'd been there- the week before a few of us grabbed dinner there before going to see Cabaret at our local theater, but we cut it way too close and by the time our food got there we had to eat it within 5 minutes. Not fun. Still delicious, but one of the best parts about going out to eat is taking your time and leisurely enjoying your food, which we definitely didn't get to do (our fault). So this Saturday Veronica and I thought we'd give it another try and made reservations for 7:30.  It was delicious! We got a whole bunch of everything, some great drinks, and spend a couple of hours talking and laughing.

After dinner we all started walking down to the street fair and pretty much died laughing the entire time. There's way too much to even type here but let's just say we had an elaborate street-crossing routine including Reba's "Fancy" and an awesome side-stepping dance. I have a video, but I don't think it will ever see the light of day! I'll just watch it now and again and laugh at our silly selves. So we street-faired and explored a bit, then walked down to the Rodeo Dance, which is a big deal in our town, and it's held under a huge tent downtown. Picture bales of hay everywhere, a live country band, and LOTS of dancing. Honestly, it's one of my favorite things in the world. We danced so much and I also got to see a lot of my now-grown-up students which was awesome.

It was super late night but so worth it- I feel like girls nights like these keep me grounded and are so good for my soul. I'm thankful for a husband that likes his time out with friends too, so we can switch off on occasion and cut loose for a bit.

Rodeo Dance 2012 Rodeo Dance 2012 Rodeo Dance 2012 Rodeo Dance 2012 Rodeo Dance 2012

Now...on a BAD note...Sunday morning Hank came into our bedroom around 8am with a screaming Henry. Apparently he was holding onto two mini basketballs and fell, but didn't want to let go of his toys so he hit face first. His left front tooth broke about a 1/3 of the way up. I freaked out - like crying a LOT worse than Henry, but got it under control after a second. It's just so hard to see your baby in any pain and to top it off, teeth breaking is one of my biggest "things," and it gives me the chills even thinking about it. Yuck. Luckily after Henry stopped crying from the fall we realized his mouth didn't hurt at all. We called his Uncle Jason (Autumn's husband) who is a dentist/orthodontist and he made us feel a lot better. He said he could fix it with a cap, or we could make an appointment up here.

So, our appointment up here was yesterday and to make a long story short, the dentist tried to pressure us into doing a totally unnecessary treatment to "save" the tooth, where they'd sedate him, and strap him down. They also told me I couldn't be in the room while the procedure was going on. I totally understand that it could make it more difficult for the dentist because obviously Henry would be more upset when he saw me, but there is no way in hell I'd ever leave my 19-month old son in a room alone with a stranger, doctor or not. It really wasn't a good experience and when I called Jason afterward he totally confirmed my apprehension about all of it. Needless to say we won't be going back to that office.

What a weekend, right? Henry is doing totally okay though. He's in NO pain luckily so we'll just be capping it as soon as possible (you can see the broken tooth in the photo below). He's eating, drinking, and thumb sucking as normal, which is good. This is the first major injury he's had and it was so scary, but he's alright now and I'm guessing this is only the beginning with this crazy kid we've got on our hands.

Henry broken tooth :(

I hope your weekend was just as fun and eventful, minus any broken teeth! Happy 4th of July if you're reading from here in the US, and Happy Wednesday to everyone else. xoxo

29 comments:

  1. aww poor boy! So glad he isn't in any pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In march we were on vacation at Disney world. My 2 year old slipped on the bathroom floor & bust his mouth on the bathtub. He cried, i cried. but it looked okay. later while at animal kingdom he started saying it hurt so we took a closer look, his tooth was almost black & pushed back. I lost it right there in the middle of the park, crying, when he wasn't even. We went to first aid at the park.her son, a dentist. Said his gum was bruised & soft & that's why his tooth looked so displaced. She said put him on a soft diet & if no more complaints, he should be okay. All i could think of was them having to pull it out. when we went to the dentist he said they probably see 5 to 10 front tooth trama a week. his tooth itself was bruised & since then has lightened up, still a little crooked but almost normal. i totally get the pain of seeing your baby like that, even if its not hurting them like you think. glad your little one is okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good girls night out especially with the tooth thing afterwards! Seems kind of "off" that they wouldn't allow you to stay with Henry anyway. I don't blame you for your decision. I would have been one heated momma if I were in that situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, that tooth thing is horrifying. I'm glad Henry is okay and that you trusted your instincts with the shady doc!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no! so glad he's feeling better. that dentist situation sounds kinda sketchy and weird you wouldn't be able to stay with him.


    sounds like your girl's night was lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your night on the town seems super fun! Hope Henry is okay!

    <3Hima

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember wearing cowboy boots in Italy. Such an awkwardly fun mash-up of culture! I adore SW outfits:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a huge fear of the dentist and my boys. I have my own phobias that don't help but I am terrified some dentist is going to tell me my boys have mouths full of cavities and abscesses and just a big, black downward spiral from there - EXACTLY what you describe your experience. I'm glad you have someone you can trust so you aren't suckered into unnecessary dental work on Henry.

    On a related note, my oldest chipped his front tooth trying to drink the very last of his bath water. It was just a teeny, tiny little chip but I bawled and bawled and bawled. We didn't end up doing anything about it since the chip was so small. You can't even tell unless you're really looking for it.

    Rad girls night! Looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They were going to sedate him and you still couldn't be in the room?? Hell to the no! You're lucky to have a professional to bounce that off of first. My daughter has hand, mouth and foot disease right now (and maybe chicken pox, too) and it's so hard to see her in pain. It's our first brush with illness, so not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear.
    My little Julian feel down a wooden step when he was first learning to crawl, it also happened to be the week his first little tooth was coming in. So, after the scare of the fall and checking for major injuries I thought he was fine. Turns out that since his tooth was coming when he fell face first, he chipped it pretty bad, and a little part of the tooth is discolored. Its a little brownish and in one spot and it drives me nuts....but in the end I am so thankful that it wasnt any more serious. I actually had to have a major orthodontic procedure done when I was a teenager (I had a broken jaw and it had to be broken in two places, and wired shut for about a month.) and now anything having to do with the dentist freaks me out, even more so when I think about little one having to go through anything similar. Im makes me think about how my parents handled me being in pain, they seemed to shrug it off at the time, but now that I am a mother I am sure they were just trying to make it easier on me by being as least dramatic as possible. This indeed is a difficult thing we, as mothers of roudy and rough little men, will probably be having to deal with on a regular basis....haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just want to high-five you for refusing to let Henry be alone with a stranger, even if they are a doctor. I won't go into details, but there was an awful case with a pediatrician in New Jersey (I think) and nearly 100 parents had been trusting enough to let their children be alone with that man during their appointments. I'm generally not a paranoid person, but yikes. Good call, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thing you listened to your gut and didn't go through with the tooth procedure, scary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First I wish I was able to join you all at the rodeo!!! Looks like you had so much fun and I love the pictures!

    Also as you were writing this out about the dentist wanting to sedate Henry and not have you in the room, I just had this gut icky icky feeling about that dentist....thank goodness you trusted yours and that you have a dentist who is a family member who you trust. I would have done the same exact thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tooth story brings back memories for me. When I was seven I flew off a bike (long story) and one of my front teeth was chipped diagonally. This wasn't a baby tooth, it was an adult tooth. I had a great childhood dentist, and he put a cap on that lasted until this year. NO JOKE. I just recently upgraded to a veneer. May I just say wow. Great advances in dentistry!

    My first-grade yearbook photo (pre-cap) is hilarious.

    Anyway, Henry will be fine. There's nothing tooth-related that can't be fixed nowadays. And with YOU in the room. That dentist you mentioned sounds creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, as a dental hygienist, that whole situation at that dental office sounds terrible! Reminds me of Small Smiles (never go there!!). Great instinct!

    ReplyDelete
  16. awww no, that must have scared the pants off you! glad you're ok and he's ding well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a chipped tooth as a child (so did my sister), and I can remember a few of my friends and cousins having them too. It'll be goofy for a while, but at least it's just a baby tooth! I'm glad to hear he's doing ok :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is irrelevant to this post but... I was wondering how mommaandy is vegan, has a tattoo that says vegan, but carries around leather handbags. DUMB!

    I know you can be a vegan for health reasons other than ethical reasons, but to get a tattoo stating that you're vegan is basically saying that that's who you are. Animal rights activist.

    Why would you get that tattoo if you're not in it for ethical reasons. It's just dumb...

    She's dumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WTF are you talking about? I have no idea who you're referencing, but unless you know her and know for a fact that her bags are leather that she purchased and don't just look like it (synthetics are amazing), you're the one who's dumb.

      Delete
    2. Miumiu=leather
      Faux miumiu/miumiu replicas are also made of leather.

      Same with chanel.

      Dumb

      Delete
  19. My daughter busted her teeth last summer and the only sensible thing I can reckon is that it's a baby tooth that will fall out anyway. If it turns black they will pull it and she will be no worse for wear. I was told though that if her tooth bumped into her adult teeth beneath the gums there might be some white spots on her adult teeth. If that happened, there's nothing I can do about it, so why worry. I was more upset that she was in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, poor Henry. I have a sick little one at the moment and I know all too well that gut-wrenching feeling when you want to protect them but have to trust someone else. I'm glad he's in no pain and that you stuck to your guns.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Poor Henry! You and he are both so freakin' cute, though. His smile is still absolutely beautiful, broken tooth or not. I think I would have felt sketchy about that dentist, too. That's just plain unrealistic, to expect a mother of a very young child to not be in the room. I'm really glad he's not in pain and that it can wait to be taken care of by someone with a better understanding of what he actually needs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, how scary!! So glad Henry's okay though!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah, thankfully he's not in pain. No way would will I leave my child alone either. I think most would figure a doctor is safe but you really never know.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh man, this is scary! I totally have that fear about teeth too. When my little one was 11 months (when she just had two bottom teeth) she ran behind the couch with my phone and because she knew she was being cheeky I guess didn't pay attention and ran into the corner of the couch. Well when I picked her up, there was loads of blood and somehow she had cut her upper gum open to expose two of her top teeth that hadn't come in yet, and pushed the gum back in a weird way! Ugh, I was a mess. But we took her to sick kids (basically like the emergency hospital for children in edinburgh) and they just had a dentist look at it and do a follow up later. It all turned out fine and her teeth look fine now but holy crap was it scary at the time! Henry looks all smiles now, though and that will probably be a funny story to him when he's older. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I totally understand where your coming from, my son will be 2 in November and a few weeks before his first birthday he was with my inlaws for a few hours. My husband and I got a call from them saying he fell and was bleeding from his mouth. Naturally I practically had a panic attack and wanted to rush over but Jeremy (my husband) insisted he wasn't crying much and that he seemed to have stopped bleeding. After lots of persuasion I tried to put it out of my mind (with very little success) and couldn't wait to get to him. When I finally saw him I wanted to cry, his little triangle of gums between his front top teeth was severed and flapping about. It healed on its own but I still have a really hard time letting him leave me for too long.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips