Thursday, August 23, 2012

Literate & Stylish: Nova of Glitter and Doom

LS
The premise of Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it. 



from Nova of Glitter and Doom

Generation X by Douglas Copeland

It was so hard to choose my all-time favorite book you guys, I read so so so much. But you know which one has stuck with me ever since I picked it up off a library shelf years ago? Generation X by Douglas Copeland. It is so fantastic. People complain that it's a bit dated... and rightly so. I read a couple book reviews before writing this and the word 'zeitgeist' gets thrown around a lot...the 'zeit' they're talking about is the late '80s or early '90s. Basically the book features a bunch of disillusioned young genx-ers trying to find their place in the world. It's a tough one to explain but it really captures the feel of being a 20-something...the characters really remind me of hipsters today.

I don't actually own a physical copy of the book but can get it on my e-reader from my library's online section whenever I want to revisit it, so these photos are of me trying to simulate the way I look while reading in my favorite place: early morning at work. Nobody shows up until 11am so I have all the time in the world to fall deep into a book and really enjoy myself.



see previous Literate & Stylish posts here.

14 comments:

  1. This is a great initiative to start this type of post, and I didn't know about this book before this post, but I'll definitely try to read it as soon as I can. There's nothing better than someone speaking about his or her favorite book to get new reading ideas, thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you name this series after the Taking Back Sunday lyrics? Because if you did, you're officially amazing!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I love how simply beautiful she is. Seriously. No frills and still naturally pretty. 2) I LOVE that book! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Nova!! She's pretty much my bloggy bff :) For obvious reasons. I mean, she's super awesome. Not to mention she's always reading the coolest books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah this might just be my next read! I'm truly intrigued now...I feel like I'm in that place myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually reading this book at the minute - no kidding. It's fantastic, really punchy and incredibly pre-hipster hipster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh interesting. Will look into it! Love how she's on an ereader, will check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love DC, reading the Gum Thief again myself at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Nova and I love Generation X (also, Girlfriend in a Coma). I don't care if the books are a bit dated because that was my coming-of-age time and they make me feel nicely nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Generation X (and pretty much everything else Copeland has done, for that matter). I'm glad this got to be showcased.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this girl so much! one of my favorite blogs for sure! she is completely awesome :)
    i've never heard of that book, but i will most definitely check it out
    www.seacreaturess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Douglas Coupland. Was sad to hear that he is no longer writing, but I have seen some of his art in real life, and I can't say I blame him for moving on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you hear that? Wikipedia says "Coupland's next and currently untitled novel (listed as Untitled 2 on Amazon), is due for publication in March 2013.' He's my favorite author so my heart sank when I read your post.

      Delete

 
Blogging tips