Thursday, August 2, 2012

Literate & Stylish: Sally of Sally Said

LS
The premise of Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it. 



from Sally of Sally Said

Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel by Kurt Vonnegut

While it would be impossible for me to choose one single favourite book, there is something about Slaughterhouse-Five that really stands out to me as a remarkable read.

Slaughterhouse-Five tells the story of Billy Pilgrim, a soldier in World War II. It documents his entire life and journeys through time, with the main focus being on his time spent in Dresden during the war.

I think that, for me, the most striking thing about Slaughterhouse-Five is the fact that while it is brilliantly funny, it is also heartbreakingly sad. Although many people had recommended it to me, it wasn’t until quite recently that I actually read Slaughterhouse-Five. I was struck, not only by the beauty of the writing, but also by how incredibly engaging it is to read. A novel about war is not something that would usually appeal to me, yet Vonnegut’s style of writing really draws the reader in. I think that the use of humour adds a very human element to something that, for me, could seem a very abstract idea – war. I also love how Vonnegut mixes up so many genres in his work. Slaughterhouse 5 has elements of an anti-war novel, science fiction and comedy, yet at the same time is completely unique within itself. If you haven’t already, I would definitely recommend reading Slaughterhouse-Five!


*did you know that half of my back is home to a SlaughterHouse Five tattoo? Read more about it here.
see previous Literate & Stylish posts here.

14 comments:

  1. 1) She is stunning! 2) I absolutely love that book. ♥

    http://www.thevagabondstudio.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. she's so beautiful. also loving the name of the series <3 tbs 4e

    www.brilliantnature.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man I LOVE Slaughterhouse-House. "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt" is easily my favorite quote of all time

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous girl! (and with great literary taste!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my all time favourite books! Just so (so so so so) good! Sally looks stunning too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favourite books as well - so favourite that I too have half my arm dedicated to a Slaughterhouse Five tattoo! He was an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip. This one's going on my list. Also I love Sally's hair. I'm getting fringe envy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just got added to my book list! And the girl knows how to wear her bangs :) Lovely!

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  9. how adorable are you!love it!
    xx



    http://style-squared.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. SlaughterHouse Five is my very favourite book too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's as cute as can be! I love her style even though it's so different from mine. Haven't ever read this... must do.

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really made me want to re-read Slaughter house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. did you make that dress Sally?

    ReplyDelete
  14. i like cars infect i like car racing i want to say that these type of cars are the best and the best cars around the world.these are rarely known cars in some countries like pakistan an india and other under developing countries.i like it really i like it very much.i want to spend my whole life to this field because this is fantastic and super cool job i like it. Saab 9000 Power Steering Rack

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips