Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Our Trip to La Jolla

Oh, La Jolla! I've been to San Diego numerous times for Comic-Con but I'd never actually been to any of its surrounding areas, and last year I think I even told Hank I didn't really get why people liked it so much. Silly me. After spending some time in La Jolla last week, I really, really get it. My friend Sarah's in-laws graciously lent us their place for a few days. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but when we pulled up and saw that we were right there on the beach, I kind of died. It was beautiful- more beautiful than I could have imagined!

Henry and I decided to drive the 7 hours rather than fly and I was a bit nervous about it. We make the drive down to Phoenix often, but that is 3 hours at the most. Luckily our friend Courtney lent us her Otterbox car iPad holder- that thing was a lifesaver! Henry watched The Fox and the Hound and The Little Mermaid for the first three hours and then we stopped for lunch and to stretch our legs a bit. We got back in the car after about 30 minutes and I put on Finding Nemo, and before I knew it he was taking his afternoon nap and didn't wake up until we were almost there. I was really blown away with how well it went.

Our actual time in La Jolla with Henry was a little rough at times. He rarely sleeps in bed with us, and when he does it takes forever to wind him down. I brought our pack-n-play hoping he would nap and sleep in there, but he refused, literally kicking and screaming. So I had no other choice but to have him sleep in bed with me, which meant I had to go to bed when he went to sleep. The first night was horrible. Henry's bedtime is usually 7pm but with all of the excitement of a new place he didn't fall asleep until 1am. Luckily he slept until 9am the next morning (he normally wakes up around 7am) so we both weren't too tired, but it was a long night. And the next day he refused to nap at all. I'm sure you can imagine how that went - not sleeping well at night, no naps...yikes!

Since he wasn't napping I found the best thing to do during his nap times was to take him out in his stroller (he really loves just walking or jogging) and give him some "quiet time," walking along the beach. By the last day though we had it down pat and he napped for a couple of hours in the afternoon in bed, then went right to sleep at night. But of course as it usually goes we left the next morning, right as we were getting into the swing of things.

I share all of this not to complain (how can you complain when you're on the beach?!) but because I learned a lot on this solo trip that I always want to remember. Trying to get a wild toddler to bed when he doesn't want to sleep can be very trying and there were times I felt so frustrated. Henry is normally so easy going at home and although he was the sweetest thing for most of the trip, there were times when I know he was just so frustrated and couldn't communicate that to me. I think that's the rough part of being almost two. He knows what he wants to say, but isn't quite sure how to convey it. But all of that aside it was a really fun time. We ate delicious food (The Cottage, so good!), Henry and I enjoyed a couple early morning walks, and it was nice to spend time with Sarah. Most of all though I feel so lucky that we were invited along, and we got to enjoy a few days in the sun, falling asleep to the ocean waves. It might sound silly because I spend everyday with him, but I really felt like this was a huge bonding trip for Henry and me.

Here are some photos from our trip, both iPhone and regular camera:

Lady and the Tramp on the iPad and we are ready to go! La Jolla here we come. ☀ @dinosarah Getting there... We're here! Loving this ocean air. View from the front porch  @dinosarah I've died and gone to heaven. Prettiest @dinosarah Lunch time! Currently. ☀ La Jolla, CA 2012 La Jolla, CA 2012 La Jolla, CA 2012 La Jolla, CA 2012 La Jolla, CA 2012 La Jolla, CA 2012 Untitled La Jolla, CA 2012 Henry is SO excited about shopping with us! @dinosarah Popsicles for days. His and Hers? I guess I'm the His.  @dinosarah La Jolla, CA 2012 La Jolla, CA 2012

29 comments:

  1. I want one of those ipad holders in my life, and I'm 20! Looks like a cute little trip. Sorry about the sleeping arrangements, but it sounds like you did well all the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i JUST made a seven hour drive with my two boys, 5 years and 22 months. we installed the car dvd player that their great grandparents had given them for christmas, and it was a life saver for us as well! and i know what you mean about toddlers not sleeping well. my youngest took a two hour power nap before we arrived, and by the time got to our hotel (at 1 am) he was wired again and ready to go. neither of the kids went to sleep until almost 4 am, and then they woke up at 6:45, ready to go. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Jolla is gorgeous. I went to UCSD in La Jolla. It was a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I love La Jolla! Great pictures.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved watching this trip unfold over on IG...I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves. I just love Henry's face in the majority of these pictures. It's like you said, being 2 he knows what he wants to say but he just can't convey it fully yet. He looks like he's such a little thinker. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely each photos! Isn't it good to get away from the desert (though we have our own beauty...)
    My five year old, Luke is totally used to the trips, and sleeping in hotels by now. But my 2 1/2 year old daughter, Friday still has a hard time sleeping in hotels. The drive isn't too bad, we have a similar drive time To the beach coming from Phoenix. But it is better with sibling company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. La Jolla is gorgeous. But next time you're in San Diego, you have to hang out in Ocean Beach. It much more.....real San Diego :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yeah! I love Ocean Beach. I lived in a hostel there for 3 months as a student and have nothing but fond memories. The beach for sunrises and sets and hanging out and the waves for sure but also the farmers market on Wednesdays, chilli cookouts, friendly bikers. It's a snapshot through rose tinted glasses of old Americana. I would love to go back and introduce my husband to it all.

      Delete
  8. Wow, so beautiful! I really want a beach trip now! I've been wanting one this summer but alas, I've got a lot of other trips to be thankful for. =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your photos are gorgeous! I love the shots on/at the beach --- such happy colors.

    Also: Boy, do I feel for you. In late April we took a little road trip with our 2 weeks old and 20 month old. It was a 400+ mile journey and we were nervous about driving for 8 hours with a toddler (not so much about the infant, bc babies sleep forever). A bunch of people suggested we head out at our toddler's bedtime and drive overnight; they all had great experiences and their kids slept the whole way. Not ours. She was A TERROR. I am not exaggerating when I say she cried THE ENTIRE way. From 8 at night until 4 in the morning. It was HORRENDOUS.

    She finally fell asleep when we got to our destination, around 4:30 am. And then she was up and awake at 6:00 am. And didn't take a nap. Ever. The whole week we were there.

    And we're doing the same trip in 72 hours. Oh, Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  10. La Jolla is gorgeous, I do agree with Gina (above) though that OB is more like the real San Diego. I really hope you made it out to Coronado Island, a San Diego trip isn't complete without it :)

    xo
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beeautiful photos. Looks like fun.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, before this trip you had only visited SD to go to Comiccon?! Oy, I went to Comiccon for the first time this year and loved it, but...... it's just not San Diego at its finest. =P (Well unless you're into insane crowds and long lines).

    Isn't La Jolla beautiful?! It's one of my favorite places in SD. What'd you think of that ice cream shop? I haven't checked it out yet.

    Glad you enjoyed your trip and made some great memories with your family =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy- I LOVED the ice cream shop. I thought the ice cream bars were exceptionally delicious - I totally recommend it! Let me know if you try it. :)

      Delete
  13. Ugh travelling with little ones! Mine is only 4.5 months and has just started to take notice of where we are, and has decided its home or hell! The worst part is my parents live 3 hours away so day trips aren't an option. Oh well, I think I will just resign myself to never sleeping again... :) looks like a great holiday. Very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How brave to travel solo with Henry! I don't think that I've gone more than 3 hours in the car with my boys, so I am glad to hear it went so well for you! We are driving with the kids in November from Portland to Anaheim, so I hope to have a similar experience as you did aka smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so jealous. San Diego is absolutely my favorite place on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I seconded Gina's OB comment above but I did also love La Jolla. We had a red tide when I was there and it was very dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad Henry was so good for you on the drive. We take a drive to see my dad every year and it takes us a good 11 hours to get there. Every year we hope the kids all get along and aren't too fussy on the drive. I am so thankful for dvd players. I don't know what parents did before them for long drives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

    -Chelsea
    thequantumview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, looks like such a lovely trip. That little one is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. so jealous that that is a 7 hour roadtrip for you!!! it would take days and days and $$$$$$ for us. sigh. don't mind me, i'm just green.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where did you get the orange skirt and striped top? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos! your little one is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so refreshing to read! We've been traveling a lot over the last couple of weeks, and my angel 10 month old has put me through the ringer. No naps, refusing to go to bed, not sleeping in the pack and play, incessant crying. Yikes! Glad I'm not alone, and glad you still had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Im super glad to see you guys still have Henry rear facing. I am very much a live and let live type of person when it comes to parenting, but thats one thing I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut about!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips