Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tried It & Liked It!

This post title reminds me of Yo Gabba Gabba, which is always on heavy rotation in our house. "Try it, you'll like it!" If you're familiar perhaps it's stuck in your head now too!

Anyway, this past weekend I set a goal to try a new recipe every single day this week. I cook our meals daily, but we get so set on the same things that I am always feeling like I need to mix it up. My intentions are usually great- I'll pin my heart out, spend time on food blogs, but so often I'll end up returning to an old favorite rather than branching out. This week though, I've tried a good amount of new dishes...and it's only Tuesday. Awesome!

Here are some of the recipes/ideas I've tried and loved:

Chia seed pudding- recipe from Trader Joe's. 1 cup coconut milk for every 1/4 cup Chia seeds. Mix together- if you prefer you can add in sweetener like agave or honey, puréed fruit, vanilla, cocoa powder, etc. Set for 2-3 hours in the fridge and enjoy!

1. Chia Seed Pudding

Looks NASTY, tastes delicious. Autumn and I made an "just okay" batch this weekend with almond milk. It grew on us, but the next day I decided to try it with coconut milk and it was 100x better. I got the recipe off of the back of the Trader Joe's chia seed bag, which they sell for $4.99. I'll post it below for those who don't have a TJ's. You can get chia seeds at any health store! Henry also really loved this stuff. I told him it was ice cream ("ice team" in Henry language) and he gobbled it right up and then asked for seconds (and thirds).

Here's all you do: 1 cup coconut milk for every 1/4 cup Chia seeds. Mix together- if you prefer you can add in sweetener like agave or honey, puréed fruit, vanilla, cocoa powder, etc. Set for 2-3 hours in the fridge and enjoy!

.

2. PaleOMG's Crockpot Pork Green Chile

Whoa, whoa, whoa! This is honestly one of the best things I've ever made. Super easy and super delicious. Hank obviously doesn't eat meat so I am slowly savoring the entire thing. I can't wait to have some of our meat-eating friends over to enjoy this with me. It's just that good. Check out the recipe here and then stay awhile on her blog- it's my current favorite.

Do yourself a favor. Go peel and slice up 2-3 bananas, put them in a freezer bag and freeze them overnight. Tomorrow throw them into your blender or food processor, add a bit of cocoa powder if you'd like, and blend until you achieve a smooth, whipped con

3. Vegan chocolate banana "soft serve"

When I was in NYC with Em last month we got soft serve at the Soft Serve Fruit Co., and I fell in love with the idea of puréeing fruit into a dairy-like treat. I tried it at home tonight and fell in love. It's such a nice switch from the frozen yogurt I love so much, and it's super easy to make! Simply peel and cut up 3-4 bananas and freeze them overnight. The next day throw them into your food processor or blender and blend until you achieve a whipped, ice cream like consistency. You can also add in cocoa powder, nut butters, you name it! 

Yay for new recipes and ideas. I'll keep on sharing things I try and like as I make them, so stay tuned!

40 comments:

  1. So yum! I just made the banana soft serve last night and loved it!!
    Am definitely going to try chia pudding with the coconut milk now :)
    Amy xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the banana thing pretty often, and have been trying to figure out what to do with the chia seeds I bought when I decided to try overnight oats. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been experimenting more in the kitchen too. I finally tried coconut butter and just put a post up about how I incorporated it into my diet. Of course, its in a candy form, but its not bad for you - I even used raw chocolate. It would be a fun finger food for Henry (say that fast five times, ha!), + I'm sure you could sub something besides chocolate in it. Here's the recipe, let me know if you try it out!

    http://www.shortgirllongisland.com/2012/08/coconut-butter-chocolate-candy.html

    Hope all is well on the west coast!

    Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both look super tasty. We love Yo Gabba Gabba at our house too. :)
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chia pudding looks so good, I always seem to get the quantities wrong but I will try your measurements and see how it turns out! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pork green chile dish sounds delicious! I've tried to make vegan fro-yo before and I must have done something terribly wrong because it never really froze. It was just mashed bananas that were really cold. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. i dont think i'd be brave enough to try the chia seed pudding! its giving me the creeps lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I thought the same thing at first too! It's really good though, promise! ;)

      Delete
  8. REALLY stoked to try that chili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think! I am obsessing over it.

      Delete
  9. I add a bit of silken tofu to my fruit "soft serve" recipes and it always makes it so creamy! Looking forward to trying the chia seed pudding...I've never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to try this chai thing - it looks crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love the frozen banana/soft serve trick in our house. It's the only "ice cream" that my son knows now. The options are endless and we're able to sneak in some flax seed for added nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been making milkshakes minus the milk, but I think I might update my recipe and freeze the bananas first now thanks to this post. I use almond milk, bananas, pure almond butter, and some decaf chai tea concentrate for some spice. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chia seed pudding looks very interesting to me. I think I would like to try and make it later! :-)

    xoxo
    Ida

    http://asplashofida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. We make the banana soft serve all the time. I love it! I will have to try the pudding soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing :) I can't wait to try these!!! I was drooling over your instagram photos haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The chili and nanner "soft serve" look amazing!!! The chia seed, well I'm a leeetle but skeptical! haha (but i'll have to try it!)

    xox Alix

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm excited for the chia pudding! I'm actually making some tomorrow, but with a different recipe. =]

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never tried Chia! Thank you for posting these, I will be trying them :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooooh that last one looks delish, gonna have to try it w/ bananas and peanut butter! the chia seeds.....idk if i could get over how it looks?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tried the chia seed pudding last night. I took a tiny bite to see how it was, ending up eating the whole bowl, and had to make more so my son can have it for dessert tonight. It was just the seeds and slightly sweetened coconut milk and it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That last one looks sooooo awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We're obsessed with the banana soft serve in our house. My kids even got me a Yonanas (an appliance that turns frozen fruit into soft serve ice cream) for Mother's Day. I love adding dark chocolate chips, nuts, and whipped cream for a healthier banana split.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ummmm! i made the Chia seed pudding and didn't try it for a day because i was nervous. i had it with fruit for breakfast today and i love it!! i mad the coconut chicken too and it was a success. thank you for posting these yummy whole food meals and all the pictures help!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting... !! :)

    Val
    http://valentinaduracinsky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ummmm can I just say the banana soft serve is the best thing ever!! Casey and I are vegetarian and try to eat pretty clean, but Im a huge choco-holic. So this will help me with my craving. Casey is the one that saw it and had to try it. Thanks. Im always going to have frozen nana's in my freezer at all times for the chocolate fix. ;) I added some peanut butter to it and it was d'lish.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've hear about the Chia seed trend, sounds like it has great benefits. If only there was a Trader Joe's in my vicinity. Thanks for all the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing - I've just tried chia seeds for the first time in the pudding. Quite yum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just tried the banana soft serve with a spoonful of Nutella. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always add some flax seeds and toasted oats to my banana soft serve when making it for my daughter. Gotta fit that stuff in where you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing! I had never heard of banana soft serve and I'm really excited about making it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's very easy to find out any topic on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this post at this site.

    My weblog: diet plans That work

    ReplyDelete
  32. Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of
    the issues. It was really informative. Your website is useful.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Here is my blog post ... healthy diet plan

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just made the chia seed pudding with vanilla coconut milk and topped it with berries. It was so easy and soooo delish!! Thanks, for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you, I have recently been looking for info about
    this topic for a long time and yours is the best I've came upon so far. However, what about the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the supply?

    Also visit my page :: acoustic guitar chords for beginners

    ReplyDelete
  35. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Very helpful information specifically the last part :) I
    care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long
    time. Thank you and good luck.

    Here is my blog - inhibit hair growth lotion

    ReplyDelete
  36. I don't know if it's just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering problems with your site.
    It appears as if some of the written text in your content
    are running off the screen. Can somebody else please
    provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This might be a issue with my internet browser because
    I've had this happen previously. Appreciate it

    Here is my blog ... vigorelle cream

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to “return the favor”.
    I'm attempting to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

    Visit my web page; remove hair

    ReplyDelete
  38. Normally I don't read post on blogs, but we wish to assert that this write-up very forced me to have a look at out and do now! The authoring essence happens to be surprised me personally. Say thanks a ton, extremely cool article.

    Feel free to visit my web blog; easy make money

    ReplyDelete