Monday, September 10, 2012

7 Happy Things

I always hesitate to repost a ton of Instagram photos here, but my iPhone camera is just so handy that I'm able to capture these little moments with ease and I'm incredibly thankful for that. So I'm going to indulge myself today and talk more about some happy things in my world right now, via that wonderful app so many of us love. Feel free to play along on your blog too! I think it's neat to be able to hear a little more about the photos we see everyday.

Ready for our house to be full of some of my favorite mamas and kiddos! #playdate

Friday morning playdates. Every week my girlfriends and I switch off hosting, and it's always such a fun time. All of the kids are so close in age with just months between them and it's been amazing watching them all grow and change from tiny babies to wild toddlers. It's also great to have these women in my life who I'd be friends with even without our common bond of being mothers. This photo is from 2 weeks ago when it was my turn to host: I served blueberry bread and lots of fresh fruit!

"We sleep Daddy!" Henry's pretend sleeping face is killing me.  @hank3

Henry and Hank, and how adorable they are together. This particular photo was taken right after Henry said "We sleep Daddy!" and then squeezed his eyes shut so tight and nestled up to his papa. These two crack me up and our house is constantly full of laughter from all three of us as Henry lights up every moment.



Local prickly pear cream soda and guava pineapple sangria. Celebrating the end of summer!

Date night. Thanks to wonderful grandparents Hank and I have been going on date nights a little more often lately and it's been such a treat. Our favorite thing to do is go to our fave spot downtown (a historic hotel) and sit on the porch or inside and play checkers while sipping on yummy drinks. Hank doesn't drink so he gets ones of their special sodas, and I usually treat myself to one of their homemade sangrias, with homegrown herbs and fruits from their garden. So good.

Long skirt & a braid. Feeling very sister-wivey today!
 
Breaking out of my comfort zone, fashion-wise. In my mind I always had these ideas of what I shouldn't wear. I'm short so I thought that maxi-length things looked weird, but this summer I've been embracing them and really love it. They're so comfy and especially convenient for chasing Henry around. I used to wear dresses a lot, but so many of my shorter ones just don't work these days with all the chasing, bending, and climbing on park equipment I do. Forgive the Myspace-esque (I guess it's more IG-esque now, right?) mirror-pic, will ya? ;)


It's a beautiful morning for a stroll.  

This weather. When people think of Arizona they usually imagine a 100+ degree heat, cacti, and a dry tumbleweed rolling across hot asphalt. We however, live 2 hours north of hot hot Phoenix, up in the mountains, so we experience very seasonal weather. And I LOVE it. I am a broken record about how much I enjoy it here but Fall here is one of the best times. Right now our temperatures are in the 70s and a dream. I snapped this quick photo yesterday morning on a family walk.

Lunch with a side of Anna  Karenina.

Quiet lunches while Henry naps. I've been reading a lot more than usual lately, and recently decided to tackle a huge list of novels I've always meant to read, but never got around to in college. The first book on my list is Anna Karenina. I'm about 100 pages in now and I'm hooked. Have any of you read it? I've been reading a lot during lunch and it's become a nice quiet bit of "me time" in my day.

Grandpa & Henry.

Seeing the relationship between my Dad and Henry blossom. Henry has taken to calling my Dad Pop-Pop or Poppy (Henry totally made this name up himself, which is so cute!) and they have such a special bond. My Dad is a total guy's guy- always tinkering in his garage, watching sports, etc. and although he swears up and down he only wanted daughters, I think a part of him would have loved having a son. Luckily Henry and him are two peas in a pod and my Dad is able to really enjoy all of those "boy" things he wasn't able to with Lauren or myself. It warms my heart to see the two of them together; the way Henry looks up at him for approval, the way my Dad belly-laughs while playing trucks on the floor. It's awesome.

38 comments:

  1. Adorable pic of Henry and Hank :)
    I loved Anna Karenina-so beautiful and emotive. And the scenery! My love for it has made me nervous of watching the film...
    I'd love to play along with this 7 happy things post but I am pretty rubbish at taking photos-not great for a would-be blogger I know! I'm getting there slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute post! Anna Karenina is one of my favorites! I also love the play Anna in the Tropics which was inspired by the book. I'm inspired to come up with my own reading list now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post, i love it :)
    And, by the way, you always make me think that i need to buy an e-reader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you get your maxi dresses? I'm short too and I think they make them too long. Every time I see them at Old Navy I'm like "I could use that for a bedsheet. SRSLY."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! This one in particular is from F21. I find a ton there. Old Navy also offers a petite option online too and I also have had luck at H&M.

      Delete
  5. I love the last picture of Henry and your dad. My dad just had girls too (me and my sister), and my husband and I are expecting a little boy next month. My dad keeps telling me he didn't care whether we had a boy or a girl as long as he/she was healthy, but I'm pretty sure he's super excited to be able to do little boy things with his grandson :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely :) I can identify with the last one,my dad has 3 daughters and I think he'd be chuffed with a grandson one day!
    Kitty
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Henry is getting so big, can't believe that little shopping cart picture! And Anna Karenina was fantastic, definitely worth the length in my opinion.

    kelsey
    http://kelseyelizabetha.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that skirt! So pretty. See, I'm tall and that's the reason I shy away from maxi dresses. I think when you're tall, full length clothing makes you look bigger. lol Maybe I'm crazy, but I wear them anyway. They are comfortable.
    And that picture/story of Henry with your dad warmed my heart. We live far from my parents (who ironically live in AZ) so I wish so much they could have this time too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these! You've inspired me to start reading Anna Karenina, after seeing your IG picture. It's been on my reading list for quite some time. Thanks! Also, I love the picture of Henry and Pop! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh these are so nice, it's always great to read about happy and positive things to start your morning!
    Your lunch reminded me, are you planning to do a review of the books you read from your summer reading list posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sara!

      Oh you reminded me of that too! I'd forgotten. And to answer...I think so! I'm not in the mood right now so possible in the next couple of weeks!

      xoxo

      Delete
  11. Happy things = the best things
    obviiiously! :)

    Val
    http://valentinaduracinsky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started Anna Karenina and kind of lost interest about 50 pages in. I'll have to push through and get to the rest, though! I've been trying to read more of the classics or older books (I don't know what actual makes it a classic). Last year I read Dracula--so good!!--and The Picture of Dorian Gray. I love newer books, but sometimes the older ones are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Danielle,

    I've been reading your blog for a long time and never commented - I think it's time to rectify that.

    I read Anna Karinina when I was 18 and didn't enjoy it very much. It took me an entire summer to finish it. I think the biggest problem I had was the language and writing style. By the time I started following the style fluidly, it'd be time for me to stop reading...and i'd have to start all over again. I think I should give it another try..see if my tastes have changed with my "maturity".

    Thank you for taking the time to write such amazing posts. I always look forward to seeing whats new in your life. You are gorgeous and I love all of the photos you share.

    - Carra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute daddy/son snoozing picture.

    Also, I like how you look in the maxi. I'm 5'1 and I will wear a maxi all day, everyday! Esp with this nice weather.

    http://frenchpresstights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband and I was talking about moving to Arizona one day. But the weather is so extreme I don't think I could but the area you lived sound perfect. The area reminds me of some part of NJ.

    I am hoping to read Anna Karenina soon. I bought that book few months ago and I am just waiting for that right moment. I just finished reading "Paper Garden".

    I love the picture of your dad and your son. It is beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've only just discovered your blog, and i love it.
    And today's post is really lovley.
    As for Anna Karenina - great, great book!

    Red

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also just recently started Anna Karenina, but I'm only half done because college interrupted my reading spree. I absolutely have loved it so far and I'm very much looking forward to finishing it and then watching the movie!

    -Morgen talesoftwee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. That last photo is so sweet! I can't wait for those moments when I have children in the future. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love this post Danielle! Great idea. That's so sweet about your dad and Henry and how well they get along :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post! Lots of happy happy things, lots of gorgeous pics!
    Lianne x
    rubyrubyslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been reading Anna Karenina too! i started right before school. the novel is so incredible, i feel like i'm inside tolstoy's mind as he tells the story! i had to take a break because school just started up again, but i can't want to get some time to finish it. its such an amazing book.
    please don't hesitate to post phone photos! it was cool to get a glimpse into your lovely life!
    thanks for sharing danielle!

    b
    http://seacreaturess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. so sweet! I actually really love instagram posts. Even if I follow on instagram, there's something about reading more details about photos on blogs! love it!!! Henry is absolutely ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The photo of Hank and Henry is just killing me -- Love it.

    And I think you look positively adorable in your date night getup. I'm only 4'11", so trust me, I identify with being short! I still think I look ridiculous in maxi length. I wore a jersey maxi skirt for our daughter Maile's first birthday, and seeing the photos and video from that day ... Yeah ... Not flattering. So you totally rock for being able to pull it off!

    The last time I read Anna Karenina, I was in high school. I loved it. Been thinking about jumping on the bandwagon early, and rereading it. I've heard mixed reviews about the film, but I'd still like to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! Love your pictures of your favorite moments!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These photos are wonderful! You have a very beautiful life :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  26. He's so adorabel! My dad and youngest son has a bonding moment like your dad and cutest son.love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aaw, the last picture is so precious! And the first picture made me hungry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this post...such a great idea. Anna Karenina is one of my all time favourite books and I am really looking forward to seeing the movie when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The salad accompanying the "book" looks delish! I think they're only in Chicago and DC right now, but Protein Bar has some yummy organic salads. If you're ever in Chicago or DC, I highly recommend you check it out. Right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your Henry stories always make me happy. However, I'm very happy for you and your date night sangria :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been wanting to read Anna Karenina. And drink sangrias - mmmm. Now that I've had my baby they may just be able to make an appearance back into my life!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I feel the same way about posting Instagram photos--I feel like people have already seen them and sometimes it doesn't feel like "real" content; but I always look back and am so happy I posted them because I love looking at a week or two of photos right there to remind me of what was going on at that time!

    I actually posted something similar on Monday-- http://www.freckleditalian.com/2012/09/life-lately-according-to-instagram-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. where did you buy your towels? I am looking for mustard yellow towels to match my ensuite bathroom.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips