Monday, September 3, 2012

A Random Monday

Storm clouds rolling in on our walk tonight. Nothing's better than monsoon season in Arizona! 
Isn't this photo insane? I took it on our walk last week. It's very Rosemary's Baby to me. There is NOTHING like monsoon season in Arizona. It's amazing and beautiful, and if you love storms like we do, it's just the best thing ever.

Today's a good day for a few reasons: it's the first Monday of a new month which I love, Hank has off work, and we're spending the day with my family down in the valley. We've been here all weekend and I decided to take a break from blogging while I was here outside of a few Instagram photos. Obviously I love being online but it's also great to take a step back every so often to clear my head and just do my thing without having anything else on my mind.

I feel like this is going to be the most random post ever but I think those are good sometimes- to just write without a purpose or plan. And speaking of blogging/writing, I was just thinking about how I promised to do a video blog months ago to answer your questions and never did it. And now I don't feel like doing one! I tried a few times but I just feel too awkward so I think I'm just going to answer your questions in a post. Hope you all aren't too disappointed. ;) It's one thing to post a quick little video saying hello, but sitting there answering 50 questions made me feel really silly even after the first couple of minutes. The funny part is that I love to watch other peoples' videos but doing them myself? Not so much. 

Hmmm, what else? Oh, this is weird but the other week I started drinking Kombucha almost every day. When I was teaching I'd drink it every once and awhile if I ran over to the natural food store for lunch, but it definitely wasn't a regular thing. I'm not sure what the deal is, but this past week, anytime I drank it, about an hour or so later I would start to feel anxious and very panicky. At first I thought I was just feeling that way because of whatever reason, but then I started to connect the dots. I stopped drinking it, and I haven't felt that way since. I googled it and couldn't find any info on Kombucha causing anxiety, so I'm curious if anyone has ever had a similar reaction. Weird, right?

And I already talked about this but as soon as September hits I get this giddy feeling and I swear, I can really feel fall in the air. It just makes me feel so inspired- there's nothing like it. I always want to clean out my closet, write more, cook more, just do more. I know some people feel like this when winter is over and spring comes around, but for me it's totally Fall. 

In other news I just spent a little bit of time choosing some recipes to try for the week and I thought I'd share them here!  I'll be sure to post another "Tried it and Liked it" post and share the ideas I loved. 

Pizzuchini (made with Field Roast vegan sausage so Hank can enjoy it too)

Some other things that are going on: I'm headed to Las Vegas this upcoming weekend to spend time with Emily. She's living there for two months to train for a new job and I'm happy to come up and keep her company. We have some fun things planned- hiking, working out, maybe a girl's night out, and pool time. I've been missing Em so much since my visit to NYC last month so I'm grateful I'll get more time with her over the next couple of months. I've also been seriously simplifying and purging my closet of anything I don't wear or doesn't fit well. It's embarassing that I've held on to so many things that haven't seen the light of day in months! I've been either selling it on my little Instagram "Shop my Closet" account or donating it to Goodwill and it just feels so good to be clearing things out. I told you, it's the fall in the air! Also: Lauren's SO pregnant and it's adorable, my Dad set his retirement date for this April, and my sister-in-law's birthday is coming up. All good things! 

This ends my rambling for today. If you made it this far, thank you! I'm off to enjoy our day with my family and give Henry lots of hugs and kisses- he's had a temper-tantrum filled past couple of days and hasn't been in the best of moods. I think he's going through a growth spurt but it makes me sad that he feels frustrated. So, I hope Henry annnnd all of you have a wonderful day and are ready for an awesome week. If you have a moment, check out my new September ads over there on the right - so many amazing blogs and shops I'm excited to be working with. Happy Monday and lots of love!

29 comments:

  1. Amazing photo! Weird about the kombucha...I have never had it so I have no personal experience. I too am ready for fall. I am a summer girl through and through but this year I am sick of it and ready for the new season :].

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that photo! I used to drink Kombucha regularly but it's more of a special treat for me now that I don't work (they're kind of pricey, huh?). I've never felt anxiety from it (can it be the alcohol?) but I do tend to get super bloated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the photo is so unreal, but I believe you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo, like a dark and surreal painting. Frameable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your random posts :)
    I have have the same reaction you talk, when i drink red bull mmm

    xx
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photo! I feel that same excitement here, although for me it is as the weather warms up. We are in Spring and heading towards summer. Even though I'm on maternity leave it still makes me feel like the holidays are approaching...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The anxious feeling from the Kombucha could be a bit of a detox -- if you say you've been drinking so much of it, the probiotics are probably flushing you out really quickly. Is it sort of a similar feeling to if you drank two or three espresso's at once? Because the probiotics and electrolytes are probably giving your body a massive energy kick. Kombucha is so good for you -- I recommend toning down the amount you're drinking rather than stopping completely and see if that makes any difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great photo! And I feel the same way about fall. I am already making a list of things I want to do. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm one of those that get super excited about Fall too! As far as the closet thing goes, I can totally understand. I'm due with Baby #2 in about 8 weeks and I'm ready to get rid of all of these maternity-type outfits I have and get back into some regular (and cute) clothes. Happy closet purging to you - hopefully I'll be doing the same here in just a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kombucha was discontinued for a while because of their questionable alcohol content. I didn't follow that up or do ANY research once they brought it back, so this is all just speculation, but if there is any alcohol content in there these days that might have something to do with it since you don't really drink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am obsessed with fall!! Matt and I make a fall to-do list every year. We've started doing it for every season now.

    It's also always great to be disconnected from the internet. I had to take a blog break for about 6 months. So, I just started up a whole new blog. Sometimes we just need a major change.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your random post :-)
    also now I just want the temps to just drop so it can really feel like fall, fall is beautiful in the Northern VA area. The trees are so breathtaking and I love driving through the Shenandoah Mountains with Scott and Judah and taking in all the colors and smells of fall. We bought our first fall mini pumpkin at the farmers market this past weekend :-)

    I hope Henry starts to feel better (tantrums) Judah will get them with a growth spurt, especially a mental growth spurt, like if he is trying to learn how to say something he will get frustrated until he gets it.
    hugs to you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this photo! love this random post! and i'm right there with you - with the feeling of fall in the air, there is something so inspiring and rejuvenating about it! so excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so many good things going on for you! It's a good feeling to have so many things to look forward to and so many things to be happy about in general. Also, good for you for just deciding not to video blog (sorry, can't say "vlog" seriously) and being upfront with it. I'm sure all of your readers will understand. They are fun to watch, but I can only imagine just how awkward they are to do on your own! Enjoy the good stuff, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are my favorite kinds of posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love storms! There aren't many in the northwest and I miss it. Oh, and I feel awkward just watching video blogs, so I'm glad you're going to do a post instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. There was a recall on Kombucha about a year ago because of alcohol content, but I think it was limited to a few brands after sitting on the store shelf for a while. I worked in a market and we never had to pull ours.

    There is something called the vagus nerve that plays a role in taste, digestion, and heart rate. Maybe that has something to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm totally with you about fall. All I can think of are fall decorations, cozy blanket + movie filled nights with my husband + trying fall recipes!

    And I've made pizzuchinni before and it's SO yummy. We just did with with sauce and cheese, but I think we'll try it with some fake meat for protein next time. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah! Was totally anticipating your video blog this whole time!! Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The photo is just AMAZING! its good to be able to have random posts like these. I definitely enjoyed reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love random posts. The thing about blogging is that you should write when you feel like it, and a lot of the time it ends up being random posts like this! And it shouldn't be forced, therefore if you feel too awkward to do a vlog, then maybe it's not the right time to do one :)

    LOVE that photo - what an amazingly moody sky.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i totally agree with you about Fall! it makes me feel so energized. just something about the cooler air, it's totally my favorite time of year..i'd take it over spring any day! p.s. this picture is so cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photos and post. Thanks so much for the link to Paleo Table. Glad you liked the pizzuchini!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man, that photo makes me miss living in Arizona so bad! Monsoon season was always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that photo. One of my favorite things about living in Arizona is our stormy weather! I love going through my closet and donating what I don't need/want anymore. I feel like it makes me appreciate what I do keep that much more :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love storms too. There is something just fascinating about the violent side of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My sister lives in Tucson and takes the craziest pictures of just rain, perfectly clear in the middle, and then rain. I've never seen anything like it! I'd love storms like that.

    Also, you might already have something planned but I would lovelovelove to read a post on your experience so far with CrossFit and Paleo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have to agreeabout Kombucha...i was brewing & drinking tea tea for 2 months. I had to stop as i was experiencing very strong anxiety symptoms & heartburn. I initially linked it to stress. I have been on summer holidays and the symptoms were still present. One morning, after drinking 150ml i felt my heart thumping and serious hertburn was going on. Since then i stopped, threw everything out and felt better since...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I killed off my Kombucha after brewing it regularly for over a year.... I too connected to the dots about the connection to anxiety. I can drink tea and coffee just fine. Even a small amount gave me anxiety... I'm wondering if it has anything to do with B vitamins and it possibly causing over methylation.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips