Sunday, October 14, 2012

Currently.

This little guy was such a good sport today. Photo sessions aren't high on a toddler's list of fun things but we still got some smiles!

Watching: Nashville! I am so excited about this show. I had a feeling I would love it when I first saw the preview and really, what's not to love: country music, Connie Britton from my beloved Friday Night Lights, and what looks like a great storyline? Sold! And thankfully, the premiere did NOT disappoint! I could watch it just for the music alone but one episode in and I'm hooked. Did any of you catch it?

Listening to: I don't know why, but the other day I decided to put on the Amelie soundtrack and I fell back in love with it. It's such nice music to just have on in the background and it's an album I used to listen to pretty frequently. I love that movie and especially love all the music used in it. So I've been listening that, along with TLC's Greatest Hits. Why, I don't know, but I ain't too proud to admit it (or 2 beg, for the record).

Thinking about: so much. I've been thinking a lot- thinking about blogging, about this blog and especially what/how I share. I've been thinking about how strange it is to have people read this space and think they know it all, and then to be able to read about all of these things they apparently know so much about. I've also learned a few lessons in regards to this, but the biggest thing is that I thought all along that speaking up or giving my two cents would help, but it really doesn't. People have their perspective on something (that thing being me and this blog), and nothing I say back to them will change a thing. For example this statement- "I am having the best time on vacation- loving my girlfriends!" read by two different people can mean two very different thing depending on who they are. I've learned that one person may think I am being annoying talking about this "wonderful" vacation, bragging about having a good time, thinking I talk too much about my girlfriends, etc. Someone else may read it just as it is and just how I meant it- that I am having a good time with my friends and I am really excited about it. I need to remember that those who want to read into every little thing will always do just that. No amount of trying to explain where I am coming from or show them my perspective will help them see that I am not this horrible person they think I am, so I just need to stop trying. Lesson learned. And I'll hopefully never bring this up again, but if I do, I give you all permission to tell me to get a life. Deal? And moving onto a totally different and much more important topic, I've been thinking about Henry turning two and how bittersweet it all is. In one hand we have this walking, talking little person, but in the other hand are all these thoughts about my little baby being "all grown up." I think bittersweet is the best way to describe it. I've also been thinking a lot about volunteering. It was a big part of my life in college but sadly haven't made much time for it since, and I really want to get back to it. Last week I looked into volunteering at the library, but their needed hours don't coincide with hours Hank can watch Henry, so I'm going to look around and see what else I can find. I was thinking I will check up at the high school- maybe they need tutors. Do any of you volunteer your time anywhere? I'd love to hear about it.

Loving: this past weekend I got to spend a couple of days with two of my favorite girls. Anita is a long time "real life" friend (how weird does that sound?) and she and I met Andy through the internet (also: how weird does that sound?!). Anyway, over the past couple of years these two girls have become a couple of my closest friends and every once and awhile we try to get together. Anita and I are able to see each other a lot more because we live just about two hours apart, but Andy lives up in the Northwest so we really look forward to our occasional visits. Andy last came out to Arizona for my 30th birthday, and now that she is pregnant and due in the winter, we thought we would plan one more little trip before she gives birth. So...we picked Las Vegas. Great choice for a pregnant gal right? ha. Really though, we picked it because it was a cheap, close enough place to all meet, and all of us love good food (which Vegas has a ton of), so Vegas it was. We had a great time and I especially loved staying up late every night talking. It was wonderful.

Reading: this time I thought I would share a couple of the blogs I've been reading religiously. First up, Small Fry. I posted about them in a previous post but seriously, I love this blog. It's a new project from a few super talented Moms, all about savoring and enjoying moments with your kids. I've already found so much inspiration through them and want everyone I know to read it, Mom or not! The second blog I'm loving is my always-favorite, Katie's Pencil Box. Her blog is chock full of wonderful things, but is especially wonderful right now as she shares all of her pretty Fall photos and adventures. And finally, I've been reading another blog by another Katie (Katy!), and it's just lovely. Katy Verga writes about her family, all of her creative endeavors (she's so talented!), and her beautiful life. Seriously, check it out. I know you'll love her. And speaking of blogs, I deleted the post below after receiving a comment and a couple of very thoughtful emails from readers, in addition to realizing that perhaps some things I found funny last year aren't very "funny" at all. You can still read it in the Hello Giggles archives, but the page here was removed! <3

Making me happy: CrossFit, our trip to the pumpkin patch today (photos soon), falling in complete love with a new author and also rediscovering some old favorites, Lauren and Abe moving into their new home this week, thinking of Lucy being born in just three months, realizations and moving forward in some key things, and all of the Autumn things I love so much: capes and sweaters, boots (this is a new thing for me), hot tea on a cool night, changing leaves in our beautiful town, and long walks with my boys. So, so excited.

So, how about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments for everyone to check out. And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

38 comments:

  1. I'm so longing for fall to finally hit Southern California! It rained and hailed like crazy a couple days ago and today it was 90°. So depressing lol.

    It's really hard sharing your life with strangers and then getting those few people who like to really dig into things and twist things around or claim to know so much about a person. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be when you have so many followers. Regardless of how others try to see things I'm glad you had a good time with your friends! :)

    Hope you have a good week!

    Jazmyn @ Sugar Pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's hard to share freely when you know people are going to misinterpret things, but it can be freeing to accept that no amount of editing or explaining on your part will change how they choose to see you. just be yourself and do what's right for you. that's all you CAN do!

    I'm currently laid up from a scooter crash and looking for new blogs to read - glad you suggested some!

    my most current "currently" post

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always fun hearing about your busy life, and all your energy. Don't let the naysayers get you down! Re. volunteering, have you considered being a Communication Partner? I was one when living in London. you are paired up with someone who has recently had a stroke and give them valuable opportunities to practise their speaking; often elderly people have no one! I'm now a speech and language pathologist working only with children, and I miss the oldies! I bet if you contacted your local SLP service, they'd have lots of good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that feed on that website after you posted about it a little while ago and I think you handled it really well. Everyone can speak their mind but some things just don't make sense. I think your blog is wonderful :)

    I thought about doing a currently feature again yesterday but I only spoke about my addiction for teen fantasy haha. (here: http://bodaciousthought.blogspot.be/2012/10/what-to-read.html )

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a few years I volunteered at my church with the youth until school and work got really busy. Now I volunteer with the women's ministry. Once a week we invite women living on the streets to come in and have a meal, some coffee, and we provide them with clothes, toiletries, and someone to talk to. We paint their nails and make them feel special and loved. That's too bad about the library, I hope you're able to find something else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, you know how you and I have the same taste in music. I am on my way right now to check out Nashville. I'm pretty sure it won't disappoint...I hope it doesn't, your reputation is at stake here, Danielle ;) hehe.

    Louise xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just so you know, I love how freely you share things about your life and find your lifestyle incredibly inspiring (especially the exercise part, though I should admit that I still haven't actually got round to moving my butt...) It's also great to see a mom enjoying time with her friends! I know it's something my mom never did much of (we moved so much she felt she never really had friends a lot of the time) so I've always been worried that's just the case for moms, and I'm so glad to see it isn't!

    In other news, do you watch Modern Family? I've just started watching it and it makes me laugh so much! Especially Cam...oh my. I thought you might like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amelie soundtrack always makes me smile, such a wonderful music

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also totally hooked on Nashville - I really can't get enough Connie Britton.

    I have volunteered for a local dog rescue for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. Rescuing abused or neglected pups is an issue close to my heart and it's incredible how fulfilled I feel when I can give some of my own time to advance the cause!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For the last year my friend and I have been volunteering at least once a month. I've found that during running season, the races usually need a lot of volunteers and the races (that we choose) always benefit a good cause. We've also used a site called volunteermatch.com.

    Also, you seem like the most grateful woman alive when you gush about your family and friends...I find it inspirational and I'm sure it is one of the reasons that I look forward to reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do one off volunteering several times each year, helping out with fundraising events. It's a great option if you want to do something useful but can't commit to regular time slots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danielle, I of course dont know you in real life, but i love your blog because i grew up in gilbert and tempe and it makes me feel at home while I'm here in Salt Lake, among other reasons for loving your little corner of the internet. I respect and appreciate what you do share here. this is YOUR space. I admire anyone that can share their life online, knowing there will inevitably be negative feedback and just accepting it for what it is. I say bravo to you... and thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That whole "people reading into your statement" thing is really a shame, but it will ALWAYS happen. I think it's really too bad when people get themselves all worked up about something that is a) not the way they perceive it at all and b) not even really a great big concern to them, so just live and let live! Anyway I had a similar experience recently and it's just a reminder that everyone won't always agree with you, regardless of your intentions. Sigh.

    That being said, I'm happy you had so much fun with your friends this weekend! Those kinds of moments are seriously the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i've also been looking at ways i can volunteer but more so with my daughter (she is two months younger than henry). i'm having trouble finding anything! i thought of just visiting nursing homes or hospitals but depending on whether or not my daughter is in a good mood that could either be awesome or a total disaster. i hope you have some better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally get how and why people would read this and feel as though it's some shallow thing that you do to make yourself feel important or "perfect" or better than others, or how the blog could be seen as a cringe worthy representation of white privilege in the middle class.

    But what they don't understand through their blinding judgment and/or envy is the fact that you're very aware of the artistry involved in crafting this blog.

    You're writer AND an artist if you have a blog this successful. You're able to creatively sweeten the good and leave out the bad, you're able to edit your photos and only post the brightest and most flattering. But since you are so straight forward with this fact, if anyone misunderstands you at this point it's completely on them. You don't owe any of those haters an explanation of why you are maintaining a happy, fun-to-look-at space that WAS MADE TO BE HAPPY AND FUN TO LOOK AT. I highly doubt you're unaware that what you present here is nothing more than an image.

    I mean, seriously. Anyone who is reading your tweets/blog are doing so because they follow you. They have the total freedom to unfollow you if you annoy them or make them uncomfortable, and that is what the healthy response would be. It bothers them that you inspire others, end of story. So screw 'em.

    I'm somewhere between a long time reader and a new timer, but I really like how you aren't afraid to show us how *you* view your happiness. It's lovely and sweet and wonderful and thoughtful, and also gives me personally a little more courage to stop hiding my own happiness in front of friends in fear that they'll think I'm trying to brag.

    Sorry that was epically long, but this isn't the first you've mentioned the thought process under "Thinking About" and it's always just pissed me off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love the new look of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot wait for the next episode of Nashville! I was so afraid it was over-hyped and bound to be disappointing, but I was pleasantly surprised and totally reeled in!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love reading your Currently posts because it amazes me every time how much our taste in tv shows, movies, and music is alike. I'm loving all the new fall TV shows, ESPECIALLY nashville!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just wanted to let you know I've been a long time reader and wasn't sure why I hadn't followed before. Now I'm a happy follower so it's officially in the books.

    I'm sorry that you have to deal with negative comments over-analyzing your stories regarding vacations with girl friends. They're obviously too lame to do anything else so that's probably why they shoot the negativity to you. Keep doing what you're doing and ignore that ish girl!

    Cathy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love reading about the joy you experience in life! I assume most people don't always blog about the down times in their life- blogging for some is about sharing only happy things. I choose to keep things private sometimes... you know what they say about beauty being in the eye of the beholder!

    PS Here is my currently: http://www.biznessiscasual.com/2012/10/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just posted the first of my "Currently" posts! Linked back to you for credit. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    http://resilienceandgrace.blogspot.com/2012/10/currently-sunday-late-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to say that if people who think this: "I've learned that one person may think I am being annoying talking about this "wonderful" vacation, bragging about having a good time, thinking I talk too much about my girlfriends, etc." Are the ones that are missing on out. Shame on you for enjoying your time and sharing that? No. They can choose not to follow you or simply shouldn't be sharing their negativity around. I bet you had a lot of people sticking up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know sometimes when people post about their husbands and how great they are, I can get upset and think "oh your so great, you have a husband, jerk." (i don't actually comment this to people). Well my marriage just ended so I'm just upset. Point is what others comment has a lot more to do with them being upset with their own life and nothing to do with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I love your blog. I am a fellow Prescottonian. Since you love to take walks, the Humane Society might be the place to volunteer. They have volunteers walk the dogs near Watson Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That song at the end of Nashville made me cry! That girls voice!!!! Its beautiful.

    Oh and I totally know what you mean about how two different people can read two different things into the same sentence. It isn't you Dani, its the person, each person has a different background and words or actions that are totally harmless can trigger a bad thought or memory in someone and they project their past hurt onto you. I got this from my previous wordpress blog that I had for years before I had Judah, I had a family member who read to much into my happy posts thinking I was saying I was happy not being around her, when that wasn't the case I was happy because on this day I hung out with so and so and they truly blessed my heart and if I hung out with that family member that day I would write the same thing. Its just she perceived it differently because of something in her past that was triggering a bad memory of her thinking she was being abandoned (not sure if I am making sense) but its not you!

    I love that you Anita and Andy went to Vegas, it was so much fun watching it all through IG and I thought in my head Vegas (with all the wonderful food) actually is a pretty good place to go while pregnant ;-)

    Checking out those blogs tonight! I love Katy V! She is just a doll and I adore her two little girls

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so happy you're watching Nashville and loving it. I saw it and was instantly obsessed, but no one else (at least around here) seems to be drinking the kool aid (admittedly not the best metaphor).

    It sucks when people try to turn what you say into something that it's not. It's so much easier to be a jerk on the internet, and unfortunately people seem to have taken that and run with it. Luckily, I've found so much of the internet community (at least the part that I choose to be a part of) so positive, but for me, it's usually the bad stuff that sticks out. If it can't be all amazing encounters, here's to hoping that there are 100 amazing experiences for every negative one. It's brave to open up your life (even if it's just part of it) to the world, and everyone should have the decency to be respectful of that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Every one of your "currently" posts includes some lengthy discussion of why you blog, worrying about what others think etc.... If you are that concerned with such things then stop sharing every minute detail of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Anonymous,

    Actually not every one of my "currently" posts includes lengthy discussions about why I blog or worrying what others think, etc. Maybe the last couple have, but it's because I was right in the middle of dealing with things of that nature. Lucky for you I decided to never participate in the negativity or read it again, so you will be spared of any more of it. But if you were a long time reader of my blog you'd know that I hardly talk about things like that, and HARDLY share every minute detail of my life. Either way, thanks for your comment, it reminded me yet again to just move past it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've already emailed you about this but I volunteer as the online fundraising coordinator for the Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue. Maybe you could find something you're passionate about and do some online volunteering while Henry naps/plays.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your currently posts!! Thanks for the inspiration :) Take a look at mine. http://unpredictablime.blogspot.com/2012/10/currently_17.html

    -Jae Anle'

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can I just say it is appalling to me that people take the time to write negative comments on here. If they do not like or agree with your blog then why the hell do they read it? It makes absolutely no sense to me. This is a personal blog, it's meant to be about your life! It's also meant to entertain others, if you're not entertained then go somewhere else. Sorry, I just really dislike people that are mean.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Don't you love folk who hide behind 'Anonymous' posts? Yep, I scrape on the sarcasm like a salty layer of Vegemite on toast! Danielle, I've followed your blog for over a year now, I went so far as to read back into your archives because you are one cool chick and one heck of a writer and storyteller. I enjoy reading your posts and I love your honesty. Things I've read on your blog have led me to other cool websites, more shops (dammit!) and great people so thank you for that! I haven't seen Amelie for years and years so guess what I'm going to collect at lunchtime? I thought of you when I was in Vietnam recently when I saw the whole series of Gossip Girl on DVD. I didn't buy it unfortunately, I was already overshopped and baggage over the limit : (
    I hope you'll visit me sometime : )

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mine will be posted tomorrow:

    http://belleinthenorth.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's remarkable to go to see this web site and reading the views of all friends about this article, while I am also eager of getting know-how.

    My website :: waist height ratio

    ReplyDelete
  35. when I saw the whole sequence of Rumors Lady on DVD. I didn't buy it unfortunately, I was already overshopped and luggage over the restrict :
    cheapest rs gold
    FFXIV Gil For Sale

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips