Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Picking!

All year long I dream about Fall. Of course I still love all of the other seasons (with Christmas-time being a close second), but there's just something about September, October and November that make me the happiest. Maybe it has something to do with growing up on the East Coast, and all of the vivid memories I have of so many Fall adventures. Cinnamon sugar donuts and hot apple cider after apple picking, hot chocolate on a cold Autumn morning while we watched soccer games, the hay in our jeans (and everywhere else) after a long morning at the pumpkin patch...the list could go on and on. And now being a Mom, there are some traditions Hank and I hope to create for our own little family too.

Growing up, the pumpkin patch was always such a special time. We'd take it incredibly seriously, laboring for what seemed liked hours trying to find the perfect pumpkin to carve. My sister and I always had the best time, and it's so neat now to see Henry doing the same thing with the biggest grin on his face.

We're lucky enough to have Freeman Farms nearby, a farm that is totally reminiscent of the East Coast farms I'd visit as a child. Their Pumpkin Festival is full of so much for kids to do- they have a U-Pick pumpkin farm, sunflowers fields, hayrides, train rides, a merry-go-round, pony rides, a petting zoo, dog and horse shows, tractors for kids to ride and sit on, horses and donkeys, a huge pond full of geese, a corn maze, tons of farm-fresh food for a really great price, and many different areas for photos. And I think I'm still missing some things!

This year we had a blast. We've been going to Freeman Farms for a few years but this year was the best yet because Henry totally got into it. Between the pumpkins ("I pick a pumpkin!"), the train and Henry yelling "Choo-choo!" the entire time, and the hayride, I'm not sure which part was his favorite. It was such a fun day!

Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Pumpkin Patch 2012

25 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures! Henry's hair is getting so long! I love it!!!!

    PS I've always loved your fall pictures :-) Its my favorite time of the year as well (its also my birthday month) but I LOVE all the colors, pumpkins, wearing warmer cloths and the cooler days and nights :-) fall is magical

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me so happy! i adore all of the photos!

    p.s. henry and i have matching hunter boots! red all the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't wait til my little guy grows up a little so we can take him pumpkin picking!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this experience was more magical, due to the fact that Henry is old enough to enjoy it. There is truly nothing like autumn on the East Coast, but I am so glad you found something with similar ambiance nearby. I went pumpkin picking on Columbus Day - I wrote about it on my blog, if you'd like to read about it.

    http://www.shortgirllongisland.com/2012/10/the-great-pumpkin-caper.html

    Hope you are having a wonderful week so far. As always, thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures and Henry's little smile are incredible :) I love autumn - I wish we had just a little bit more of it here in Utah. I'm so excited to go on pumpkin patch dates soon. Our favorite place locally is called Cornbelly's - it's ridiculously cheesy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh god, he has the cutest hair in the world! He makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! and it looked like you guys had it all to yourself! FUUUN! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wish we could do that here in australia, but aussies aren't really into halloween :( looks like a lovely time x

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, I'm digging Hank's facial hair.. Looks great on him!

    Second, you still have sunflowers?! Up here in the Okanagan (I like to think our weather is quite similar) they wilted a few weeks ago.

    Third, you're looking beautiful as usual!

    Fourth, Henry is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you guys had fun. I love the fall season. We'll be visiting a similar place here in New York this weekend. The place we have has a cow train that our kids love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The one thing I miss about the US the most is going to an orchard in autumn and picking pumpkins.

    Hitchcockesque blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been hoping to plan a trip to the pumpkin patch soon too! I saw a photo of your little guy on IG the other day and meant to comment on how sweet and adorable he is! I love these photos, you have one very beautiful family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh. The hair on the train ride pic makes me SMILE! That's great! Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the pictures you take of your family. Always so beautiful. Mesa is always still hot when it's pumpkin patch season. It makes it a little harder to enjoy it, especially with a little one. I'm jealous of your beautiful weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable :) I've always wanted to go pick pumpkins! Maybe next year. I think we have a similar place not too far. This year we just went to a place on the side of the road, but it was still fun. You got some GREAT pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cute! I love Henry's little red boots :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! You're creating such wonderful memories with your family, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos! Henry is SO adorable! :)
    Happy Fall xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks like so much fun! I love that they have bunting hanging in the pumpkin patch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awe, this looks like so much fun! I love pumpkins and going pumpkin picking. This year we'll be missing out, as we are heading to NYC for a vacation. Maybe I could arrange to go pumpkin picking in NY. Hmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay this may be a crazy question, but we don't have pumpkin patches over here (Scotland) so....what do you do with the pumpkins once you pick them? Eat them? Do you just buy one? What other stuff do you do at the patch? I'm intrigued! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Miss Matryoshka

    We carve them! :) We scoop out the seeds and roast them too. Some people bake with the insides, but we don't.

    At our patch there are tons of things to do like a petting zoo, hay ride, etc. Click the link up there and I think our farm has videos! <3

    Wish you could come join us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like tons of fun! I love fall too! I wish it would cool down here in Tucson! I am so not meant to be a desert rat. haha! Newest follower! Loving your blog!

    Lauren
    www.lifelovelauren.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips