Thursday, November 15, 2012

It's a good week to be Henry Hampton.

Oh, to be Henry Hampton for a day. Hank and I often joke about it when I send him photos while he's at work, always laughing over how good he has it, with those park days and sandwiches with the crusts cut off, and never-ending cups of milk. It's the good life for sure. And this week is an especially good week to be Henry.

I'd say the highlight so far would have to be Sesame Street Live. A big group of us went with all the kiddos and it was so, so great. Hank and I might have been the only parents in the audience crying though- we are both so sappy and got overwhelmed watching Henry's joy and excitement over being so close to the characters. When I mouthed "I'm crying!" to Hank over Henry's head, and he responded with "ahh, me too!" it was definitely one of those funny moments I'll be filing away right along with Henry's adorable first reaction when Big Bird came out. It made my heart melt into a huge, huge puddle right there in the arena and I don't think I recovered it until the very end of the show. It was such a fun night and one of my favorite parenting moments yet. Who knew Big Bird and Elmo could ellicit such emotion?!

Sesame Street Live 11/15/12
Sesame Street Live 11/14/12
Sesame Street Live 11/15/12

This week we've also kept busy doing arts and crafts. After watching this video over on Small Fry, Henry exclaimed "I paint too, Mommy!" So I got out the watercolors and we created some masterpieces. Henry was partial to the reds and blues and it was so fun to watch him figure out how it all worked. His art is now proudly hanging on display in his room and on the fridge, and this morning he stopped and said "I made that!" with a huge smile on his face. Before I become a parent I would think about moments like these, and it's pretty darn awesome to see them come to life.

Painting with Henry 11/12/12 Painting with Henry 11/12/12 Painting with Henry 11/12/12 Painting with Henry 11/12/12 Painting with Henry 11/12/12

This week has been full of some good outdoor time too. We've been trying to soak up every bit of the fall before our cold winter sets in and snow keeps us bundled up inside. We're lucky enough to have a couple of great parks close by so we can either walk or drive right down the road. Although whenever I really take a look around, I feel like parks are the biggest toddler hazard in the world. All of those places to fall from, hard bars to knock your mouth into, slides to go down haphazardly...it all gives me a bit of anxiety. I feel like "park time" also equals "cardio time" for parents. Am I right?! Either way though, my little daredevil loves it, and it's neat to see him be so fearless. More so scary, but still pretty neat.

Park with Henry 11/14/12Park with Henry 11/14/12Park with Henry 11/14/12

xoxo


22 comments:

  1. This post is absolutely adorable. I love when I hear parents taking the time to enjoy their children and soak up all the awesomeness they bring to our lives. Kudos to you and Hank for raising such an amazing son.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cry when my kids talk to santa. and we are taking my boys to disney world this march. thinking about them seeing some of their favorite characters already makes me tear up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry has a good life because he has good parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have to say, you are not the only one who almost cried during Sesame Street Live. When my husband and I took my daughter (who was 2 at the time) I got a little teary eyed for the same reason. He looks like he had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh he is one cute kid. And you can see the happiness i his eyes. Henry has some fantastic parents :)

    Jessica
    Www.cinnamonandspiceblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks so much like you in the picture of him smiling with his paints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also worry about how most of the parks do not have enough sun cover.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, this is the best!
    max's dad and i had the same reaction when we took max to see monster trucks when he was 2 or 3...haha. a less-sweet atmosphere than sesame street...but tears nonetheless...haha.

    you're the best mama to your guy! i love seeing how much you cherish each other...my, does it ever go fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son was wearing the EXACT outfit the other day- exact same shirt and toms! I passed the phone over to my Hubby and said what's not right about this? He was so confused about what park this was until I told him to look closely, that it wasn't Grayson! Their hair is pretty much the same length and color, too. So crazy... :) Grayson turns 2 tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Youre such a wonderful Momma. Henry is so lucky to be so loved by you two (and so many others!)

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Danielle!

    This is sooo incredibly sweet. What a lovely post. Henry is so cute. How old is he? He looks about the same age is my son, Roman... maybe a little younger. Roman is almost 2 1/2.

    We actually wanted to take him to Sesame Street Live... it's coming to Portland in December, but we weren't sure if he'd sit through it. Also, I was wondering (maybe this is so stupid to ask) do the characters talk? And do they sound like the real characters if they do talk? I always wondered how much like the show/movies it is.

    It's so cute that you both get all sappy when you see how happy he is. I am the same way, too.. I usually get that way when I see Roman playing with another little kid, and sharing toys or something. So cute!

    Hope you enjoy your weekend, dear.

    xox, amber

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh it's those little moments! I love soaking up every bit of life with my daughter <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. i know what you mean by "park time" equaling "cardio time" for parents. i'm totally that crazy mom running around shouting "be careful". sometimes i feel like my heart will jump out of my chest when i watch lily play at the park. not because she's so darn cute (because she is) ha ha, but because it causes me physical pain to see her fall down!! i try so hard not to be a crazy "helicopter parent" but jeez it's tough!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear I am not the only one. I didnt used to be this sappy but once I became a mom everything my child does makes me cry! I cried the other day at the doctor's office because my toddler was just being so cute and polite when the doctor asked him questions. He was acting so grown up, I couldnt help but to shed a few tears.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got nothing to say but "Aaaaawwwww!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so awesome to be Henry because he has got amazing parents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sesame Street live? Amazing! And, oooh, I can really see you in his smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You guys are such fun parents! I hope I'm the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Sesame Street Live. My kids would absolutely void their bowels, they'd be so excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. you make me want to be a mom ahaha this is so adorable. i love it! henry is too cute :)

    ReplyDelete