Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Currently.


Watching: Allllll the holiday classics I force myself not to watch until the holiday rolls around. Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year, but especially special as far as music and movies. Some of my all-time most-loved films: the original Miracle on 34th Street, the very, very old Babes in Toyland (thanks to my Mom having us watch this every year when we were little), the old Frosty and Rudolph, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, and the Grinch cartoon. Hank and I watched Home Alone on Sunday morning and I was in bliss- such a great holiday movie. Am I forgetting any old favorites? What do you watch every year?

Listening to: I've been on a Gaslight Anthem kick lately. They're always my favorite band, but recently Henry has been asking to listen to them too. He says, "Rock 'n roll, Mommy?" And until I put on Gaslight he'll say "no, not this one," until I find the right band/song. Quite a taste for music, I tell you! I think his favorite album is Sink or Swim and he always seems to bop along a little more to We Came to Dance, which just so happens to be my favorite song too. Haha. Other than that I'm still listening to the Cloud Atlas soundtrack and while doing cardio my favorite song has been the wildly inappropriate No Lie by 2Chainz and Drake.

Planning: So much- little Lucy is set to arrive next month and we are getting so excited! I can't wait for Henry to have a little cousin to play with, and for our family to have another baby. I'm also so happy that Lauren is also going to be staying home with her, so we will have so much more time to get together. Even though we live three hours apart it will be a lot easier for her to drive up and spend the night for a few nights and vice versa. Other things we're planning- Disneyland, the annual girls' Christmas party, and I've been working on an overall goal to focus on in 2013. Hank and I have been into choosing "themes" for our year (how nerdy is that?) and last year we were successful in achieving those- especially Hank!

Thinking about: one of my favorite blogs shared this quote yesterday: "I looked on child rearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully as interesting and challenging as any honorable profession in the world and one that demanded the best that I could bring to it." -Rose Kennedy. Isn't that beautiful? No matter if you stay at home with your children or work outside the home, once you're a parent being a mother is your number one job, and I think it's a such a beautiful sentiment and one that completely resonates with me. I also really loved this post on being who you really are and it really made me think. The older I get the more I crave authenticity and the more I just want to be ME. It's a good feeling to know I am working on that everyday, and to have a much deeper understanding of what exactly "me" means. It's a lifelong process to really know yourself, but each day I get a little closer. A quote from that article- "Every time we make small decisions to fit in, whether as a child or as an adult, we are burying a little part of ourselves down deep. This is really serious business, this denying of who we are." Embrace your weird!

Reading: I am just starting a couple of books- The Parent's Tao Te Ching and Reached. I began the first book last night and found it to be incredibly inspiring. I think it's a really great approach to parenting, and although I don't subscribe to any sort of philosophy you can find in a parenting book, I definitely enjoy grabbing pieces of knowledge and experience. The last parenting book I read was Bringing Up Bebe and I enjoyed that for the same reasons- I didn't take the whole thing as a "how-to" but more as a way to broaden my horizons and open my mind a bit. Plus, that entire thing was pretty fascinating! Have you read it? The second book on my list, Reached, is the third book in the Matched trilogy by Allie Condie and I am highly anticipating digging into it tonight after Henry goes to bed. I loved the first two, so I'm hoping the final piece is just as great.

Making me happy: Christmas everywhere, our little town and all of its holiday traditions, Ezekial cinnamon raisin toast with butter, Henry sort of, kind of starting to branch out and try more food, CrossFit and doing more and more of my workouts Rx, learning how to do new things, and adding new recipes to our everyday favorites. And on that note, do you guys have any food blogs with healthy, whole food recipes you'd recommend? 

So, how about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments for everyone to check out. And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

41 comments:

  1. I posted mine yesterday :)
    http://dailydoily.typepad.com/peaceloveandcupcakes/2012/12/curre.html

    I said I was watching Four Christmases. I love that movie & think it's so funny. Other favorites that aren't really Christmas movies but take place at Christmastime are Serendipity and Untamed Heart (sort of depressing). I also like Elf and the Santa Clause.

    My favorite song to run to right now is "Snapbacks and Tattoos" by Driicky Graham. If you haven't heard it you need to :)

    ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. you spiked my curiousity with these yearly themes... will you be sharing more about that soon?? Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the xmas favorites you missed is A Christmas Story. I watch it every xmas even when TBS puts it on for 24 hours. Also a Charlie Brown Christmas is a favorite of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Also, "Bandz A Make Her Dance" by Juicy J ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my very best friends runs a Vegetarian/Gluten Free/Dairy free website called Delicate Princess Tummy (http://www.delicateprincesstummy.com/) that features a ton of healthy recipes and tips!! I think you'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home Alone is a Christmas classic!!! Along with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacay :) Loved your Currently post and thanks for the inspiration!!

    http://www.unpredictablime.com/2012/12/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite movies (not a classic I know) is Elf. That movie cracks me up EVERY single time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Christmas Favorite: Frank Capra's 1946 It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I probably watch Elf at least a dozen times in December- I literally never tire of it and even though I own the DVD I still get excited when it's on TV. Love Actually is another fave of mine, Family Man, and every Xmas Eve we watch It's a Wonderful Life. It's nice having movies you only watch for a few weeks- makes you feel cozy and excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still winding down from my big 30th birthday over the weekend (posted a recap today here: http://bit.ly/Ud7EAt). I don't feel old which is great, I just feel excited (Danielle I think you'll appreciate the post I wrote about turning 30 here: http://bit.ly/Yf28pp). We have so many fun things on the horizon, plus it's the holidays and I get to spend a lot of time with friends and family. Feeling pretty spectacular I must say!

    Strive to Thrive,
    Nic
    www.Thriving-Wives.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my best friend's has a blog called Vegenista.com. Her archives are full of wonderful tasties! Happy holiday season to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danielle! I always eat up every word for the Currently posts you write. I LOVE Home Alone and since it's not on Netflix, I plan on buying it at Target soon. Thank you for posting such a heart warming post, I'm so getting into the holiday spirit as well and am savoring everything. :)

    Cathy Trails
    Revlon Just Bitten Giveaway


    ReplyDelete
  13. Christmas movies are the best! I always have one request every Christmas and that's to watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Best Christmas movie!

    http://www.teenyhippie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I eat paleo, and my faves are paleomg.com, civilizedcavemancooking.com, marksdailyapple.com, nomnompaleo.com, nourishpaleo.com, and paleogirlinthecity.com. Nom Nom paleo is amazing if you haven't checked it out, she takes paleo to a whole new level and has great pictures. And I have to thank your blog for helping me kickstart crossfit! I was always too scared and was just doing personal sessions but it became too expensive, plus you're missing the element of teamwork which is one of the best parts of crossfit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We do a "CheCiaraMas" movie festival every year.

    It's quite extensive but not to be missed are
    "Scrooged",
    "Rare Exports",
    "Elf"!!,
    "Love Actually" and
    "It's a Wonderful Life".

    We usually watch "It's a Wonderful Life" at the arthouse cinema we got married in. They have a choir come in for some singing, mince pies and mulled wine beforehand. This year they are mixing it up and doing "Miracle n 34th street". Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have a bunch we watch ... Elf, A Christmas Story, Arthur Christmas, A Muppet Family Christmas, Charlie Brown Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, The Family Stone, While You Were Sleeping, Love Actually, as well as some of the ones you mentioned. It's hard to find time to squeeze them all in, but I feel weird watching them any other time of year. (Except maybe Love Actually ...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Food Blog: http://www.skinnytaste.com/ -- many of their recipes could be made vegetarian if that suites you best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! I finally participated in this for the first time: http://marriedcatpeople.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favourite christmas movies are Love Actually, Home Alone and the Family Stone, I can't manage to keep them until only the holidays especially not Love Actually which I think is brilliant.

    I did my own currently post which is here http://thelittlebluefishy.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I picked up your Currently posts a month ago with the intention of doing it once a month on my book blog. But for the past week I've faced heartache and my time slot which I planned to do my Currently posts came and went.

    I wasn't intending on doing it at all until I saw your post and it reminded me of it. Your post is full of happiness and family and I realized that despite the past week, my post can be filled with the same in some way or another. So, I did my post. Thanks for reminding me that it's not all doom and gloom -- happiness still reigns.

    Anyway, my currently post is here: http://soonrememberedtales.blogspot.com/2012/12/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. My 26 year old daughter makes us watch the Muppets Christmas Carol every year while we wrap presents. Yes, the Muppets with Michael Caine as Scrooge. I dare you and Henry to watch it-as goofy as it sounds you will laugh, tear up, and forget they are puppets-and you won't get the songs out of your head!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm new to your blog (and a first time commenter)...discovered you after having twins recently. I also have a Henry! Love your style and writing...I just did my first "currently" post, on my blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i made a currently post for the first time! thanks for the inspiration. :) have a happy wednesday. xo

    http://allison-lois.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made a currently post as well:
    http://porcelainheartivorytooth.blogspot.com/2012/12/currently.html
    As far as holiday movies I absolutely love Christmas Vacation and Scrooged. So good!
    I really need to start listening to some holiday music for reals. Haha. I know I'll get into the spirit even more once I do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love doing these! Thanks for the inspiration!
    http://stefanieshouldbearealityshow.blogspot.com/2012/12/currently-1205.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I posted one too, and probably couldn't say 'Christmas' more if I tried!

    http://tinteratoid.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/currently/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for the opportunity to post my "currently" as well! I loved your post!

    http://woundedfawn.com/2012/12/05/currentlygone/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really enjoyed the link to "10 ways to be who you really are". It followed on perfectly on a conversation my daughter and I were having. She turns 20 on Saturday and she made the statement "the older I get, the easier it is to be me". I agree, accepting who you are and your own place in this world takes time. I will forward Tamika the link you posted.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm another one for Muppet Christmas Carol... we used to watch it every year after thanksgiving while we put up our tree.

    I was also due for a life update: my most current "currently" post

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooh and my "currently" post. Thanks :)
    http://checiarastakeonlife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Danielle! Hope the week is going well so far.

    Here's my currently post!

    Cathy Trails
    My latest post “Currently”


    ReplyDelete
  32. I always love your currently posts. I want to get started on figuring out some goals for 2013. I have a good feeling about the new year.

    Oh man, I love Christmas movies too much. I have a list of over 25 that I love and must watch each year. No lie. Maybe a bit obsessive but so good.

    I'm going to go make my own Currently post and I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ah man, Elf, A Christmas Story and A Muppet Christmas Carol are my favorite movies. I would watch all of them over and over again.

    I'm a bit late too the game, but my currently post is here!
    http://ohdizzle.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/december-currently/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Took me a few days, but as always - thank you so much for posting this! I really love checking in and knowing what everyone is up to in the blogosphere in such a casual way, and it really is a good kick in the butt to update. :)

    http://whuffling.com/2012/12/06/currently-6/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I post my "Currently" posts on Friday. Here is mine for this week. Happy weekend!

    http://amandamaddox.blogspot.com/2012/12/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've been doing my "Currently" post on the 8th of the month, so I just got it up yesterday... http://fingersticksblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/currently.html

    As for food blogs, I like Green Plate Rule { http://www.greenplaterule.com/ } and because stomach issues have me going gluten free these days, I love Delighted Momma { delightedmomma.com } and Gluten Free Goddess Recipes { glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com }.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love these posts! I've been seeing them around and always love to read yours. A little late in the comment feed, but here is mine!

    http://www.notesfromtheslife.com/currently/

    ReplyDelete
  38. I put up my first Currently since August! It also mentions all the Christmasy goodness that I'm enjoying right now. Most favorite season of all!

    http://jamieandsam.blogspot.com/2012/12/currently-i-am-lately-ive-been.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. My little guy LOVES Rudolph and wants to be a dentist like Hermes. So cute!

    A little late, but here's my currently post: http://followk.blogspot.ca/2012/12/currently.html

    ReplyDelete
  40. Restarted my blog and began with this post :).

    http://courtatort.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete