Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Is this Livejournal?

us
a wonderfully grainy photo of us many Christmases ago, in the pre-Henry days. 

I have absolutely nothing to blog about today. And usually my motto is it's better to say nothing than fill up this space with a bunch of fluff, but I also happen to be a little bit bored and not in the mood to read (and not in the mood to sit and watch basketball with Hank), so here I am, blog friends. How are you today? I thought I'd pretend this was good old Livejournal for a second and write whatever comes into my mind. So here we go.

Today was a nice, normal day for us with just a touch of annoyance which I'll get to in a second. All weekend Henry had been waking up around 5:30am which is early, even for him! But thank god, he's back to his 7/7:30am wakeups. We woke up, I made him breakfast (berries and a waffle with almond butter), made myself breakfast (berries and 2 pieces of Ezekial bread with butter) and we relaxed for a bit and watched Dumbo (H's current obsession). We played for most of the morning until we started getting ready to head out to get my hair done.

Sweet Veronica switched around her schedule so she could watch Henry during my appointment, so I dropped him off and headed over the salon, only to walk and have the front desk tell me my girl had called in sick. They had been open since 9am and no one had bothered to call me at all, so after arranging a sitter and getting all the way out there I leave with my same old ratty hair. SOB FOR DAYS. I was so, so irritated. I understand things happen and the world doesn't revolve around me or my hair color, but I would have at least appreciated a call to let me know what was going on. Ugh. So that was my annoyance for the day.

To make up for it though, I did get to spend the time I would have been getting my hair done visiting at V's new house and seeing Courtney and her family. So there are some pluses! Henry and I spent the rest of the afternoon getting errands done, and by the time Hank got home from work my hair was no big deal, although after looking in the mirror I am thinking I need to find a new hair girl tomorrow. Darn roots.

A few thoughts:

I am fully in the ma'am zone. No more miss, or really anything except "ma'am" at any store, unless it's like a 75-year old man calling me young lady.

Why do I feel so awkward buying tampons? I'm 30! Honestly though, I hate it and feel super embarrassed to plop those things on the checkout. I'm probably closer to freaking menopause than I am to the beginning of it all, so I'm not sure if this silliness will ever go away. Am I alone in this?

Henry had the WORST tantrum at Trader Joe's the other morning. In my two years of parenting he's never really had a public melt down like this and it was insanely stressful. The lady checking us out made it 10x worse as she kept saying "breathe mama, just breathe" as if I was on the verge of freaking out. Which I was, but I wouldn't ever, if that makes sense. I was SO happy to finally get us out to the car, me pushing the cart full of groceries and Henry squirming out of my arms and screaming.

I need to quit eating the same thing everyday until I hate whatever item I've overdone it with. I think I may have ruined myself forever with bananas, if that's even possible. See also: Dr. Praeger's California veggie burgers and dried apricots. I need some variety.

This concludes a whole bunch of randomness. Thanks for indulging me guys!

xoxo


37 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Well, be glad Henry didn't do what I did when I was two. Apparently, I got mad about something while my mom and I were in a department store and started screaming "GD it! GD it!". (My father's side of the family loves to curse, so I must have picked it up from them!)

    blog.katmellon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hate buying tampons too BUT i bet that my husband was even more embarassed buying them for me today while i stayed in with our son haha hes a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I love, love your Livejournal-esque post! I would have been pretty sad about the hair appointment, too! So sorry that happened to ya! :\ The tampon thing made me laugh a little. I've been very weirdly un-embarassed to buy them as long as I can remember. However, I don't like it when someone (specifically a male) is standing nearby the aisle where I'm trying to pick them out... GO AWAY. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my 8 month old has started throwing tantrums already. Back arching , throwing things, pushing my hands off. Heaven help me when he reaches 2! Ps. Love this post!

    Bettina @ www.littleoldsouls.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this kind of post! Sometimes they can be so fun! I am always feeling judged by whatever I buy at the store. For art class, I had to make a run to the store to buy duct tape, golf tees, fake grass, lots of peppercorn (and lots of candy to keep we awake for the project!. The look from the cashier was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd be able to handle a temper tantrum more than some lady telling me to "Just breathe."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking the exact same thing!

      Delete
  7. We share the tampon awkwardness! You'd think we'd get used to it. Sorry about your first big tantrum.. My 4 yr olds big one was when she wanted to taste a green olive from the stores olive bar. LOL. Needless to say, she didn't like it.

    Also, I like the random post, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dani, I laughed so much reading this post...you're writing is always witty and entertaining even when you are only describing your day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hate Ma'am and Madam. They make me shudder. And feel old.
    Recently my nearly 3 year old niece called me a kid (which I loved), I still feel like a kid even though I'm 30.
    Totally with you on the tampon thing, I still hide them under other things in my basket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These posts are nice sometimes :) I enjoyed it.

    xo Ashley
    luckylittlebird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy these kinds of posts - and also, the salon totally should have called you, that's just rude!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes, the tampon purchase. Made 100x worse when you live on a military base and your check out involves about 30 Marines eying your pink and purple box *hangs head in shame*. No, I doubt I'll ever be juggling my feminine products up to the checkout, regardless of how universal it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post Dani! Totally with you on the tampon thing. So weird that we feel like this. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually love posts like this. I miss LJ so much because it was the ultimate place to vent and spazz out about things I loved, both at the same time.

    I'm pretty okay with buying tampons, though I do prefer having a female at the register when I'm making my purchases. What I'm more scared about is having to buy condoms for the first time! TMI? Maybe, but that's all a part of the livejournal theme.

    Also, I think sometimes I prefer the "ma'am" over the "young lady" comments. Working at a college this past semester has provided me with many moments when some older person has made some, "honey," "young lady," or "kid" remark. No, actually. I'm your coworker. I'm not a student. I don't need to have permission to use the copier. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hah! I used to be so embarrassed to buy tampons! I ordered a Diva Cup online about a year ago and haven't looked back. I love not having to buy tampons and they're less wasteful - win, win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every month I think about getting a Diva Cup! They scare me a bit though. Haha.

      Delete
  16. I tend to eat the same things over and over too. Especially for lunch. I'll usually eat the same thing for lunch for months and then one day be tired of it and move to something else.

    Henry just did turn two which means he's in the terrible twos. Pretty soon you'll get use to the meltdowns.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do the same thing with food... I eat the same thing over and over again until I don't want it again for several years. It sucks, because it's always something so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bwhaha the tampons tidbit make me laugh so hard! These posts are always really fun, they're very genuine and keep things really fresh compared to the sea of sponsored posts and really phony outfit posts (and even those are sponsored, too). I hope you do more of these candid posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So funny about the ma'am thing. I'm definitely in that category as well these days.

    And, what is it with people and the random parenting advice? I especially hate it when folks suggest you "relax," or in your case "breathe," like it's a switch or something. I've been getting a lot of that as of late: When randomly asked when my due date is and I say that it passed, I'm inevitably met with a command to "relax." Yes, it turns out that my baby refuses to come out because I'm uptight. Thankfully I have the neighborhood grocer to enlighten me...

    Finally, I still feel inclined to make several needless purchases with my Tampons. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am totally upset when people call me ma'am! Just like when people call me "Mrs Gregory." No, Mrs. Gregory is my mother-in-law. MS for me please :P And I'm also 30, so ... maybe something is wrong with me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. (Probably one of my favorite posts by you, just to let you know.)

    I couldn't agree more with all your random thoughts. I'm 35 and buying tampons is still a little weird. It may never go away.
    Ma'am always bugs me, I just don't feel like a "Ma'am"! Even though, I totally am.
    And I'm the same with food. I'm at a loss right now. All my go-to's are gross to me now, so I'm in that place where I have no idea what to eat. I need variety as well.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha I kind of love the random post, sounds like a day I might have (daily annoyances, then an upside, random thoughts, realizations). I don't have to suffer through buying tampons anymore, because I use a cup, but I know what you mean. I get embarrassed buying pregnancy tests even though I'm married, 30, and legitimately trying to get pregnant. I guess I still feel like some slutty teenager that everyone is going to judge. Weird!

    Happy hump day ma'am!

    Strive to Thrive,
    Nic
    www.Thriving-Wives.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Danielle, I love the random posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you buy a Mooncup you need never be embarrassed again!

    ReplyDelete
  26. get hank to buy your tampons! :-D i don't remember the last time i bought tampons because my husband usually stops by the grocery store on his way home from work. whenever i would buy them i only felt weird if there was a teenage guy as a cashier. because i was sure he felt awkward about it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I get mine delivered!! No joke!!! Amazon will whip you a GIGANTIC box of whatever size you need every few months and voila! Never run out + never have to go to the store for them + come in a cardboard amazon box = one happy gal!

    XO Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel like this post is a blast from the past from... 2009? Geze. It's been that long since I started reading? I love these posts! Do them more! :)

    LOL at the "ma'am" zone! And about the tampons, I usually just buy a HUGE box from Costco to hide among the other bulk sized everything. It's more awkward for me when I run out and have to JUST buy tampons (+ random stuff to try and be less obvious lol).

    I just remembered, a few months ago I vividly remember Blaine + I making a late night grocery store run. As we were checking out I looked at everything and realized we were buying tampons, midol, ice cream and one or two other things. How obvious was that? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I did that with kiwis! Ate so many of them that I can't even look at them any more.
    This is a good post- sometimes it's just good to offload. x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aw Danielle, I love these type of posts. Much more like old SS rather than the sponsored stuff. More of these please! xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. i liked this too -- it's nice when people are real and don't just talk about the good stuff. (im not saying dwell in negativity), but this was just a normal post!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Random suggestion: Instead of tampons, look into a DivaCup or MoonCup or something. You only have to buy one and you're good for the year. Something to think about ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lol I know how you feel about the buying tampons thing and I'm only 21 lol. I usually just get them from Walmart since they're cheaper and I use self-checkout lol. I remember one lady actually asked me how I liked a certain box of tampons. I was like uhm, can you just give them to me so I can go now?! Most awkward shopping experience of my life.

    I agree with the others though, I really do enjoy reading posts like these.

    Jazmyn @ Sugar Pink

    ReplyDelete
  34. I used to eat bananas every day for a year and a half and now I just can't eat them anymore. The weird thing is, I used to eat peanut butter pretty much every day as a kid growing up but I'm not sick of that. Who knows? haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like this post. a lot. I think I just really enjoy getting to hear random thoughts from people. It is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete