Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Favorite Things: Gifts for a New Baby

happybaby
Baby Henry. SO CUTE! 

I feel like there is a serious baby boom going on in my world right now! Is it the same in yours? And every time a friend or family member welcomes a new little one into the world, there's nothing better than giving a super thoughtful, super awesome gift. I'm all for following along with baby registries (I mean, washcloths and crib sheets are necessary), but I always like to add on something special, or maybe deviate all the way and surprise the new mama with some really neat items.

In the spirit of my new niece Lucy being born, I thought I would share my most favorite baby gifts from around the web!

First of all, have you heard of Little Hip Squeaks? Hands down my most beloved Etsy shop (or any shop really), and I can tell you from experience LHS items are the softest, best quality little baby things in the world. Seriously, get a load of those headbands! Amy, head Hip Squeak, is always coming up with new items and new prints, and this next season is so full of cuteness I can't even take it. I love making sets of leggings, hats or headbands, and a blanket (she sent Henry the cutest blankets ever!), or even just adding on a headband as a fun topper for a baby gift.

Best mail surprise ever- a package of gifts for Henry and my soon-to-be-born niece from the talented (and super sweet) @littlehipsqueaks. Seriously, check out her shop for the absolute cutest baby and toddler stuff EVER. I die over her prints. Thank you A

Secondly, Freshly Picked Moccasins.  We've tried all sorts of moccasins before tying out Freshly Picked and I can say that these are the best quality and the most comfortable of any of the many we've put on Henry's feet. I love that they're made by a fellow blogger and I also really love how even though they may be a bit pricier, they're such great pieces that can absolutely be passed down kid to kid, and really hold up! Henry has worn his gray and red pairs a million times in all sorts of weather, walked a million steps on all sorts of ground, and they still look great. Plus, have you seen the new spring colors Susan shared on Instagram? So perfect. We love Freshly Picked and appreciate them sending us some moccs to try out.


H's Freshly Picked! Thanks FP!

Another favorite shop is Gingiber, who I discovered when they became a sponsor of mine. I am absolutely in love with everything in their shop, but especially the adorable (and well-priced) pillows. She also has prints, calendars, wall decals, you name it. A total one stop shop for a new little one, and mama. I'm especially in love with this fox pillow.


Another fabulous go-to gift is the Mini Book of Names and Faces from Pinhole Press. We are HUGE fans of Pinhole in our house, and always love their high-quality, unique products. For Christmas they sent us calendars for all of the grandparents, and then we got this book for Abe and Lauren. It's SO cute and really simple to make using their website. You just upload the photos you want to use, and create a mini-board book. It's really the cutest idea!


Some other items I love: this personalized embroidery hoop, these milestone baby cards, and this adorable alphabet onesie from Hello Apparel!


I've also gotten Moms diaper cakes (check out these awesome ones at eDiaperCakes.com), and those have gone over so well! Adorable and functional- perfect for a new parent.

Do you have any go-to items for new babies? I'd love to discover some new, fun shops and items so feel free to share in the comments below!

xoxo


34 comments:

  1. Thanks for these fantastic ideas-for any of your Arizona readers in the Valley, Changing Hands Bookstore in Tempe has a stellar baby gift basket that is my go to gift and it's a great way to support your local booksellers as well :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful list! I wish I was given these things when my son was born, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle! I'm honored to be included on this list! Thanks so much! And I am big Gingiber fan as well! xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...those moccasins basically make me want to have a baby, like stat. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually just ordered a couple blankets from Little Hip Squeaks for my baby recently! Also I spy my banner in the Pinhole Press book :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sooo cute. I can't wait to see my little nephew!

    xo Ashley
    luckylittlebird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable gifts! I crochet so make little baby hats when I can.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all these things!!

    Lately, I've gotten a couple sets from this shop...
    "Baby Sushi Kits" http://www.etsy.com/shop/sisterina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great suggestions - one of my best friends has just had a baby boy and its hard to find unique baby gifts, the fox pillow is so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the alphabet onesie and the milestone cards, I think I need to go sh!

    I've just made these DIY alphabet flash cards with my toddler. You can use them to make door name tags also. Perfect for babies and little people. http://www.craftylittlegreyfox.com/_blog/Crafty_Little_Grey_Fox/post/Alphabet_flash_cards/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out www.handmade4babies.com
    Handmade baby blankets, sweater sets..very cute, good quality.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this round up! I fell in love with the milestone cards, oh my goodness! My favorite baby shower gift is to pick out 3 or 4 board books and put them in a cute basket. This was by far my favorite gift I got when my son was born. The best ones have bold black and white graphics or some sort of texture, and its a gift that lasts for months and months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE! I just ordered the headbands from little hip squeaks for my 2week old niece Sylvia. I think I may just have to order the fox pillow as well, since her nursery them is..wait for it.. woodland creatures (I die). So much etsy, not enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is this a sponsored post? Definitely cute things featured here, but it honestly reads like an infomercial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marion!

      Oh no - so sorry you think it reads like an infomercial. That sucks and I will keep that in mind next time I do one of these! But NO, this post is not sponsored in any way. I always label my sponsored my as such- I want to be as honest and up front as possible with my readers- but in retrospect I probably should have said something about it NOT being sponsored. I'll add that in now, and do that next time.

      Thanks for the feedback! <3

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the response, Danielle. I hope I didn't sound rude. I thought for sure it was a sponsored post (or you at least received the goods for free), and I don't like when bloggers aren't upfront about that.

      Delete
    3. Hi again!

      You're welcome, and no you didn't seem rude at all! I really do appreciate feedback like this.

      To me, a sponsored post is paid for by advertisers or companies/shops, and this was just me, sharing things I have come across and love. A couple of the items were gifted (like the Pinhole book- which I talked about in the sponsored post I did with them during the holiday season), but I don't feel like I need to say "this was gifted, I bought the other two," when no one is paying me or encouraging me to write the post. I hope this makes sense. My intention is never to be sneaky or shady. If I am paid for a post or given items and paid to write about them, I will always disclose that. Your comment does make total sense to me though and I will keep that in mind moving forward.

      Thank you again Marion for being honest and sweet, and taking the time to leave a comment! :)

      Delete
    4. ps I also changed some wording so it is clear on the gifted items. The more I thought about it, you're right that even though it isn't a sponsored post at all, that is part of full disclosure!

      <3

      Delete
    5. classy lady! I like how you handled this.

      also, I keep looking at the Gingiber prints and even that fox pillow for my June baby girl. I need to get crackalackin on getting her stuff

      Delete
  15. love that abc's onesie! i might have to get that for my future niece/nephew! i have never been on the prowl for baby things until my sister got pregnant - so loving all of this. :)

    p.s. if you are looking for baby girl headbands, i do have a few in my shop and some custom ones, too - http://www.muchloveilly.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great ideas! And Pinhole Press? Amazing range - my nephews (and some of my grown up friends) are getting SO MANY gifts from there, come their birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such cute things! I love baby presents, it's always so nice to branch out from the registry and add something personal.

    I have a thing for mobiles and they make beautiful ones, for kids and adults!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheWonderlandStudio

    I love functional gifts too. This shop has wooden tissue holders shaped like whales, giraffes and ponies! in lots of fun colors.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/shopSparklyPony

    I just ordered from this shop for a present to a friend's little boy. Beautiful things and eco-friendly
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/littlesaplingtoy

    I'm done now :D
    Have a great week!
    liv

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is the same in my world. It seems that everybody is pregnant or has a baby. I find it lovely. I can't wait to be a mommy but I have my wedding in june and after that we have to renew our flat. After that... who knows... :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are nice items and all but I really don't understand how this is not considered a "sponsored post". I mean if you receive items C/o how is that not sponsorship? People send you their products out of nowhere left and right to "review" or even just as a "hey we think you would love our product" and then you write about them. Of course it is your opinion and you are not writing these things because they asked or told you to but it's still sponsorship and reads as such. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually agree, I didn't think of it this way at all when I did the post, or to be honest even until the commenter up there pointed it out, but you're right. If this was a fashion blog and someone sent me a piece to wear I would have to put c/o. A fashion blogger isn't typically paid to wear the piece, but sent the piece in the hopes they would wear it. Although only a few of the things up there were gifted you are right that they SHOULD be c/o. I still don't consider this a sponsored post but I totally agree with your two cents! Thanks for chiming in. Will be doing things differently from here on out! <3

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the great reply. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  20. I have one of the Gingiber fox pillows! My son loves it...he walks around the house hugging it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love baby showers! I think diapers cakes are a great gift/decoration for future mommies. I have a shower in two weeks and I really hope my cousin with love it. It is filled with diapers, bibs, onesies, everything you could need.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are no babies in my life currently, but I had to drop in and say that little baby Henry is ADORABLE! And his face looks so much the same as his big-boy toddler faces. It's hilarious to me when babies look totally different as toddlers, but Henry was rockin' the big eyes, big smile thing from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. literally in LOVE with this post. i have stumbled across many of those items! just wonderful (:

    ReplyDelete
  24. Unfortunately there are no babies in MY life right now, but we're trying, trying, TRYING darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. it's a crazy baby boom for my friends lately too! love all your picks..i have been favoriting little hip squeaks stuff on etsy for my future kids ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous little knick-knacks for the little ones! If you’re looking for more with both comfort and style, http://mybabygift.com/ has a large selection, and what’s neat about it is that there’s a range of items for not only infants but for mothers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cute gift ideas for new born babies. =)

    ReplyDelete
 
Blogging tips