Monday, January 21, 2013

frozen yogurt cones and that newborn baby smell

I swear, every Sunday night Hank and I are already looking forward to the next weekend. I wish our whole life was a weekend, although I guess then it wouldn't really be a weekend. Special things need to stay special, I think. But this was a good one. It was full of baby snuggles with our new niece, and so much family time. We had a date night planned for Saturday night but instead decided to stay in with my parents' and enjoy dessert on the couch. Just as wonderful.

It's funny- we've had some fancy weekends, some busy weekends, but I think the most fun weekends always seem to be the ones where I don't ever get out of my comfy at-home clothes. Simple is best.

This past weekend was full of those kind of simple things: frozen yogurt cones, that newborn baby smell, a certain toddler learning how to roll down grassy hills, and belly laughs- lots of 'em. It was the best kind of weekend, and it's Monday night and I'm still smiling from all of it.

And before I sign off, here's my Try-Make-Do: I tried a new dish at my favorite Thai food place in Mesa (it was a fail, but at least I finally branched out!), I made Henry smile even more than usual with all of the time we spent outdoors, and I got a chance to have a whole afternoon to myself. It was so wonderful. Who knew a solo trip to Target could be so therapeutic? And miracle of miracles, I somehow emerged without buying a thing, which most people know is a definite feat when talking about the black hole of cute (yet unnecessary) Target items.

xoxo

Weekend in Mesa 1/20/13 Weekend in Mesa 1/20/13 Weekend in Mesa 1/20/13 Weekend in Mesa 1/20/13 Weekend in Mesa 1/20/13 Weekend in Mesa 1/20/13 Weekend in Mesa 1/20/13

23 comments:

  1. Congrats on becoming an aunt, she is so cute!
    also, what blush do you wear? your face always looks so bright and fresh=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! I'm actually not wearing any blush in that photo at all. I think that filter (Amaro on IG) must be magic because I have been breaking out terribly the past couple of weeks and my skin looks pretty clear there! But thank you for the kind words anyway. ;)

      When I do wear blush I wear Bare Minerals Ready blush in The Faux Pas (pinkish) or The Aphrodisiac (more peachy).

      Thank you for stopping by!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Simple is always best - this is so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Leanne! :) And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous weekend! Your niece is precious. I am always fascinated by babies with a lot of hair because, as I like to joke, I didn't have any until I was 4. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so fascinated by her hair too! I can't even believe how much she has. I think it's even crazier because my sister and is a total blondie and didn't have much when she was younger either- and now her daughter has SO much. Too funny.

      xo

      Delete
  5. Your niece is just precious! Congrats, Danielle! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solo trips to Target are definitely therapeutic, but leaving without buying a thing? Wow. Not sure I've done that yet.
    What a sweet niece you have! It catches me so off guard seeing photos of folks in shorts -- it's something like 9 degrees here today but I'm told it feels like -16. Enjoy your above freezing winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh where we live is cold too unfortunately. So whenever we are down at my parents' I'm outside 24/7. It's so lovely in Phoenix right now...but it won't be in a few months when it's 115 degrees (SO HOT!) so it keeps me from getting too jealous. ;)

      Delete
  7. Mmmmm...an afternoon solo. :::reverie::: With my two lil' beauties, I think my favorite part of hightailin' it on my own is how simple it is to just get outta the car without unlatching any carseat belts. It's the little things, right?
    Hooray for happy weekends! Now bring on the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple weekends are the BEST! What's your favorite Thai restaurant in Mesa? I love Latitude 8 in Chandler. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree--> I think every day was a weekend BUT i think special things need to stay special. I'm glad you had a magical weekend.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy is beyond precious! Aren't weekends wonderful? On friday nights when I leave work, I ALWAYS want to dance across the parking lot singing Rebecca Black's song Friday because I'm that happy it is the weekend haha

    I completely forgot about Try-Make-Do. This weekend perhaps I'll remember.

    Have a wonderful Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a marvelous weekend. The best for my family are always the ones where we stay simple and get to enjoy time together just playing and having fun!

    All of these adorable baby pictures I keep seeing everywhere is not helping my baby fever! :) Your niece is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so fun being the aunt instead of the momma! I mean, being the momma is wonderful on its own, but being the aunt is just FUN. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. becoming an aunt is SO exciting.
    and your sister....she is a replica of your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your niece is absolutely breathtaking, and your sister looks amazing, already out and about like giving birth ain't no thing. She's officially my hero. It was weeks before I wanted to go for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that you tried a new dish at your Thai restaurant--my husband and I usually always order the same thing, and he's been really trying to mix it up. He has had a lot of fails in the process though, but last time was a win for the both of us. It's hard when there's something that you know you LOVE (but it's easy to get burned out on it too).

    Also, your niece is precious. Congratulations to your entire familly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the new addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that last photo is so great

    <3

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips