Thursday, February 21, 2013

Read & Do: If You Give a Moose a Muffin

Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13

I talk about it often, but growing up I was lucky enough to have a Mom who was not only an elementary school teacher but also a librarian, so my life was always books, books, books. And so often my Mom would also do an activity with us that went along with whatever book we were reading that made the pages come to life. I have some of the best memories of cooking food and making fun things with my family in our little yellow house, tucked away in the forest. And now that Henry is older and is all about making things and helping out, I thought it would be fun to start a tradition where we do the same!

For the first Read & Do I picked a book that has been on heavy bedtime reading rotation lately- If You Give a Moose a Muffin. Henry LOVES this book, and I like it too; the moose is huge and silly, and the story is adorable. It's by the same authors of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, so I'm sure you can guess how the story goes.

So this morning we read the book for the 1000th time, then we got out muffin-making ingredients (and blackberry jam, the moose's favorite!), and got to baking. We used an old favorite clean-eating oatmeal-applesauce muffin recipe I make often, and I'll include it below as well.

Henry and I had the best time getting covered in flour, counting out all of the ingredients, and then eating the fruits of our labor. He kept saying "I made these, Mommy!" with a huge smile on his face. I already can't wait to choose our next book, and I'm thinking next time I should get out the tripod so I can snap some of us together, too. Enjoy!

Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins (from the Eat-Clean Cookbook)

Ingredients:
1 cup dry, old-fashioned oatmeal flakes
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup skim, rice, soy, or almond milk
2 egg whites, beaten (vegans, you can substitute egg-replacer also- I've tried it and it works well with this recipe)
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
2 tbsp + 1tsp canola oil
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup dried fruit of your choice (try to get unsulfured and unsweetened if you can)

Directions:
1) Preheat over to 375 degrees. Prepare muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2) Combine oatmeal, applesauce, milk, eggs, flax and oil in a medium bowl.
3) In another medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, including dried fruit.
4) Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it. Stir until all ingredients are just combined.
5) Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 15-20 minutes (we baked ours for about 15-16).  Cool and enjoy!

Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13 Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13 Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13 Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13 Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13 Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13 Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13 Making muffins with Henry 2/21/13

32 comments:

  1. Such a sweet idea Danielle! I'm definitely doing this with my little ones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever idea. I love it! Henry is such a little ham, he is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fantastic idea! What beautiful memories Henry is going to have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look so yummy! Lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness! you may very well be my favorite momma!!! and henry! my, how big he's gotten!! so so so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've got an awesome read and do for you! especially with dr. seuss' birthday coming up soon. read "bartholomew and the oobleck." and then make oobleck. it's so easy, and so much fun to play with!

    http://delirious-rhapsody.blogspot.com/2011/03/gage-and-oobleck.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a read & do--I will have to do this with Parker. Connor is already enamored with reading, but maybe I can find a good activity to do with the both of them.

    What a great way to support the love of reading/books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You also need a little step so he can reach the bench. Me too, mine currently sits on the bench.

    Bettina
    www.littleoldsouls.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those muffins look delicious! You have such a beautiful little boy.
    Very handsome moose also!

    -Jade
    gracious-silhouettes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet idea. I hope you will blog about your next book you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely wonderful idea!! Sounds like you had lots of fun, definitely saving this for the future family idea list! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic activity, I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how cute! i'm gonna try the cookie version of it with my early preschoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome idea! I'm totally down for it and the way we read in this house! This will be great. Not sure if I missed it but, what camera did you end up choosing? and what lens(es) would suggest? Cause these photos are great :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome idea for miniature humans, you are such an amazing mama!

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that series!

    We do this with movies too. Henry might not be as into the princesses as my little girl (we made beignets and watched Princess and the Frog) but he might like making Ratatouille and watching the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sweet- what a nice idea of a way to spend time together. I love those books too - we just read the Valentine's one yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha! Logie just did this yesterday with his Preschool! too cute. :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was JUST talking about "If You Give a Moose a Muffin" the other day with my hubby!! I LOVED that book growing up! Way better than the mouse one ;) I'm so glad I found your blog, you are just the cutest, and I love your sweet little family!! Congrats on the baby, too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh haaaayyyy cute blue-and-white Target bowls! We have the same ones, love 'em =]

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute!

    My blog: acolorfulcreation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great idea...and my Mom was also a librarian, so my childhood was greatly influenced by books. The twins already have quite the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My boys LOVE that book. THis is a grand idea!!!!!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the idea of doing an activity that goes along with the book! I love baking with applesauce. I'm sure these muffins are delicious. Recipe saved!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummy idea! What a great way to reinforce reading.

    We can totally do that with the Mouse/Cookie version we've been reading nonstop. I didn't know about the Moose version. Hello, library.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look delcicious! LOVE that you involved your little guy! I bet he loved it :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a sweet idea!! We have a couple of the other "If you give a..." books but not the moose one. I'll have to try this with my little guy when he's a bit older :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love baking with the kids I babysit. It's always fun and it is so great to see them being proud of what they baked themselves.

    These books is so adorble. I hade to make a pocorn garland after reading "if you give a mouse a cookie. =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. We just checked a book out from the library that does this. So many books to read with activities to go with each one. Such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this idea! It's such a fun way to bring books to life.

    xo Sara @ tinysugarbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Danielle, I am a long term reader, first time commenter :) We made these muffins yesterday and my son adores them.. its great to see him loving something so healthy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips