Friday, February 1, 2013

The Days are Long, but the Years are Short.

The look.

It's weird, to think about Henry being older than he is now. And I know I said that when he was just an infant, then when he turned one- I said it constantly. It was hard to picture him one day talking, walking, doing anything other than laying there on his baby blanket making those cute little sounds. But lo and behold, he grew more and more (and more), and at every stage I thought the same thing, surprising myself every time he was suddenly onto the next stage.

Lately though it's been different- I've been having these flashes of what our little guy will be like when he's much older. And I can imagine it, suddenly. I can see his little preteen eyes rolling, I can see that look he gives me now, the one that says, "C'MON MOM..." and I can envision him giving me that look in years to come. His hair, those hands, those running feet, one day all grown up and doing their own thing.

It's wild isn't it, how fast it goes. I know, I know, how cliché can I be? I say it all the time, everyone says it all the time. It's a well-discussed topic on my blog. And before I was a Mom people said it constantly; "oh, wait until you have kids, those days will fly by and before you know it you'll have a grown adult on your hands." I would always smile politely, but in the back of my mind I'd be like, come on- time is time! But as you can probably guess, it is not. Time is indeed much faster when there is a child involved- double speed, triple speed, and through every day-week-month the pace only quickens.

So these little mornings Henry and I have- regular old mornings like today- where we go out to breakfast, go to the park, adventure somewhere new, these days are numbered. I realize this. There's a little hourglass of his childhood whose sand is always falling. And although he is only two and we have a long way to go, it's always on my mind. The days seem so slow sometimes, but I know how quickly they all go by. So I savor them, I put pieces of them in different places- on my camera, in my mind, I stamp them permanently onto my memory.

Henry was once an infant, an unbelievably small little thing that cooed and hiccuped and nestled into the space between my neck and my shoulder. And then he was rolling, crawling, walking, running. He was making noises, then words, then sentences- and now he tells me everything on his mind, stories and hopes and plans. And now that I can see my little guy becoming a big guy, I can finally envision it and see it happening. It's hard and it's beautiful, and true to human nature I want to stop it all at once and keep it going to see what's next.

And I think this sums it up perfectly: "The days are long, but the years are short." Hourglass sand and bits of memory, days and weeks and months, all rolling into the big picture.


Quote source- and be sure to watch the video too.

26 comments:

  1. I love the title of this post so true! And Henry is beyond adorable, that giant donut is a close second.

    http://www.thecharleygirl.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charley! I originally heard it in the book The Happiness Project. Have you read it? I loved it. :)

      Delete
    2. Ohhh, I've heard it but I haven't read it yet. I'll check it out, thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have this quote on a chalkboard in my kitchen to remind me to stop stressing and enjoy it now.
    His eyes are adorable.

    Up for a yoga challenge?
    www.littleoldsouls.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have it displayed in your home! Such a good quote.

      Delete
  3. This picture is so precious - what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! And Henry says thanks too. ;)

      Delete
  4. Haha i was just having this same discussion with a friend. It dawned on me the other day that my "baby" boys 17th bday is looming.... 17!!!!! Where did it go?!?!? I remember thinking when he was a wee lil one & me a young teenage mom how strange it would be when he was the age i was when i had him...now we are here and i just reflect on how far we have come together. Think about the man he has become, realizing that he has taught me far more than i could ever hope to teach him. Realizing that it is he who has made me who i am today. Without him, i know i would not be here today with the sun shining on my face. I have no regrets, i only wish i could bottle all these years up to enjoy forever and ever. One day he will leave the nest to continue on his own journey.

    Thank you for sharing

    Xo the rebel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 17! Ahh! That seems so far away but I know it will be here before I know it. It's weird to me to think about H being that age- especially since that is the age I taught. I loved this comment, and thank you so much for sharing it here. You're wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! I truly think YOU are wonderful and love reading your blog!

      Xo the rebel

      Delete
  5. My oldest is 18 ~ and yes, it certainly does go by faster than I ever imagined it would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda that's amazing! I can't even imagine H at 18. One day though I'll have to. hah!

      Delete
  6. Another lovely post Dani as usual! It made me cry! I love watching my girl grow but I feel like the days are slipping through my fingers! She is almost one. Where does it go?! Harriet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Harriet! So sorry I made you cry too. ;)

      Happy almost-birthday to your little lady.

      xo

      Delete
  7. I think about feeling this way a lot because I don't even have children yet and I'm so, almost painfully, aware of time slipping through our fingers. I remember living with my husband's family right after I moved to Kentucky from Florida (on a whim) and wondering if I made the right choice, then getting engaged years (that flew by) later, wondering what our wedding would be like, wondering what our home would look like- and now it's hard to imagine not knowing those things! One day it will be hard to imagine not knowing what it's like to have my own little one! So, so strange and hard to comprehend sometimes! Ahhh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I was the same way before kids too. Like Hank and I would be doing something and I'd think about how these were the days we'd miss. I know I blog about this stuff all the time but it's SO on my mind. We are too peas in a pod...

      Delete
  8. I have been feeling this way so much lately! Little flashes of my little guy growing up. It's exciting but sad. Like won't these days just stop for a second? ah. So well put in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura I am so there with you. I SO want to just have a little pause button to press every once and a while. Thank you for reading. <3

      Delete
  9. I am sitting here with Jarvis in my arms as I read this post. Breathing in his smell that is changing from little baby scent to little boy. I know what Jarvis will look like when he is older, so much like his Dad. But I don't want to know grown up Jarvis yet, I want my little Bubba boy, and I want to enjoy every minute of it.

    ps Henry is one special soul, those images just shine with so much of his energy.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more. I see it everyday with my little one. You and Henry are the sweetest.

    madiandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard that one before, but I always liked the Modest Mouse version, "In this life that we call home, the years go by so fast but the days go by so slow." Or something to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Posts like these so make me look forward to motherhood someday. As more and more of my friends become mothers and I'm still working on finishing my [seven year] bachelor's degree, it's easy to watch them grow into mothers as well as watch their sweet little bebes grow up and wish I were in their shoes. Some days it's difficult to remember that since most of them are a good bit older than me, they've already lived out these days and someday I'll appreciate that I waited just a little bit longer to enjoy these solo days with my husband so that I can savor each day with a little kiddo a little bit more as well. :)

    Very sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember when my eldest was tiny and i didn't want her to be, like, 5 or whatever aha. I just couldn't imagine it and I didn't want her to change. She'll be 9 this year!
    My youngest just turned 4. From my personal experience the best (cutest) age is definitely 3 years old <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Time passes even more quick when you have multiple children. I have three sons who are aged 10, 8, and 3....it's like a day passes in an instant. I cannot believe my oldest will be in junior high soon - that freaks me out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You end up making me cry every other post! I think its because your words speak right into my mama heart, especially since Judah and henry are two weeks apart. I can't imagine a day when I wont take Judah to the park or have our lazy play days or donut dates. It does slip by entirely to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post. I completely relate. I look at my oldest girl, Violet, and feel so much emotion because she growing up!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips