Thursday, March 14, 2013

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures


You know when you see something once, then all of a sudden see it everywhere? That's kind of what happened with Beautiful Creatures. I had never heard of it before, but suddenly after seeing mentioned on a morning news show, I saw movie previews, Amazon recommendations, you name it. And then later that week I was between books when I decided to just give it a try, even though it looked kind of cheesy. Thank goodness for book samples on the Kindle, right?

So I downloaded a sample and was immediately hooked. I LOVED it, and bought the book right then and there. I stayed up for a good hour or so reading and enjoyed every minute.

A couple things about this book- it's a YA title, so it's in the same vein as Twilight. I wouldn't compare it to Twilight as far as writing (the writing in Beautiful Creatures is much better) but I would say that it's in that same genre- magical, mysterious, with a fantasy element. But that's where the comparision ends. The story is a Southern Gothic, and tells the tale of Ethan Wate, a high schooler living in a small, sleepy South Carolina town whose entire world is turned upside down upon the arrivel of newcomer Lena Duchannes, even though she has haunted him in his dreams for months. I don't want to say another word because I feel like part of the magic for me was knowing nothing about the story- but just know that I was left holding my breath until the very end, thoroughly enjoying the magical journey these characters took me on. And at 563 pages, it's a long journey- which was so welcome. So many YA books these days feel rushed but because the book is so substantial, characters were incredibly well-developed and I was really able to get into the plot.

And even better? When I finished the book I realized it was part of a four-book series. I started the second right away and it was JUST as good as the first. I'm on number three now and loving it too.

I highly recommend Beautiful Creatures (and the series) if you're looking for a little escape- if you like fantasy and suspense, or even if you just like romance. Some people may find parts of it cheesy (I didn't at all, but I know I'm not always the most cynical person). Overall though, I feel like most readers would enjoy this book, as there's something for everyone. 

Have you read it? What did you think? If you do decide to give it a try, please let me know your thoughts!

xoxo


19 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a new book. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Bettina
    www.littleoldsouls.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this yet but I want to now! Thank you for the recommendation.

    I'm going to go see if my library has it.

    The Brayn of Chalayn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the entire series and loved every second of it! It is the perfect escape into another world and, like you said, much better written than Twilight. So glad to hear you're liking it as well!

    Cheers!
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm a sucker for these kinds of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I'll have to read this series after I finish the infernal devices/mortal instruments series by Cassandra Clare! You might love those, too. A fun YA fantasy series. I get SO wrapped up in the characters and the love triangles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a young adult/new adult junkie. This book has been sitting on my sample shelf for awhile, hoping to finally dive into it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking for something good to read, thanks for the rec I'll be downloading it to my Kindle tonight ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Added to my wish list on my library website.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished the series (which I read in a week!) and loved it. Couldn't put it down, and am seriously sad that I'm finished with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The timing of this review couldn't be any better!!!! I'm in need of a good book that isn't going to give me nightmares :)
    I've been reading Gillian Flynn's Dark Places, and it's DARK! I think I need to keep is as an afternoon at the cottage read rather than before bed reading :)

    Can't wait to go download Beautiful Creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did not love this book as much as i thought i would. The writing is def well done and there were a couple twists that def caught me off-guard. Didnt think id pick up the second book but your reviews on it makes me want to give it a second chance. So we shall see... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just picked this up from the library! Can't wait to start it! and then see the movie :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm on the third book too and thoroughly enjoying them. I cant wait to see the movie when I've finished the books xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've dad this one and am on the 2nd book. I enjoyed the first one a lot. The 2nd one seems to be moving along a little slower but I'm sure things will pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been trying to decide whether or not to get these and you have convinced me, I love a little bit of escapist reading now and agin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the book so much! I began reading it shortly after my grandpa died and I was waiting for the funeral arrangements to be made before flying home to start a new job. I needed the distraction and this book provided that for me. I am unapologetically adding the link to my review:
    http://soonrememberedtales.blogspot.com/2013/02/beautiful-creatures.html

    But I'm so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. After your recommendation for the Silver Lining Playbook (so good), I have to see what this new book is about too...we seem to have the same reading tastes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Missing books like crazy. My daughter broke my kindle and I have not read anything in over a month. But will keep this in mind once it is replaced.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I started reading this and got about halfway through and liked it. My friend was dying to see the movie since she had already read the book all the way through. The movie was TERRIBLE. I liked the actors and everything but it was SO CHEESY. My friend said the book was a million times better and I agree even though I'm not finished with it yet. She went on the read the entire series and loved every minute. So ladies, give the book a chance even if you didn't like the movie!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips