Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I'm Too Sexy...


It was my second year teaching high school English. I was 22, maybe 23. It was the start of a new school week in the Fall when I received the news that I had been nominated for "Hoopcoming Royalty" which is like normal Homecoming royalty, but for teachers rather than students and as a part of our "Hoopcoming" basketball game. Fun. Until I heard that we had to do a dance during the pep assembly that upcoming Friday. First of all, I am never one to shy away from dancing, or even being in front of a crowd dancing, but already being the youngest teacher on campus and then shaking my booty in front of my fellow teachers, students and hundreds of other teenagers? No way. Never. Not fun.

I tried to get out of it, I did. But the girls on student council let me know I couldn't let my partner down and being my sensitive self, I was overcome with guilt and promised to participate.

I got over my initial fears, and wrapped my head around the task at hand. I could do it! And no offense to my partner, a male teacher in the Social Studies department who shall not be named, but I got stuck with a dud, a too-cool-for-school kinda guy. Regardless though, we discussed our plan, and what would happen. We'd seen enough of the kids' Homecoming royalty pep assembly shenanigans to know the drill- a song we picked would come on, and the two of us would go to the middle of the gymnasium and dance for 20, 30 seconds max. I assured Mr. Cool that it wouldn't be so bad. We could pick an old, silly rap song and more lip sync than anything. We'd be okay.

But he refused.

So what was I to do? I certainly wasn't going to go do it on my own, so the gracious student council members said we could just be announced and walk out there at the end. Kind of lame, but better than doing it on my own.

The week went by stress-free. I didn't have to rehearse a silly dance, I didn't have to anticipate being embarrassed. It was pretty awesome!

Then Friday came. The assembly began and soon our part came up. We were last of 4 other pairings since we were just being announced. I still thought it was totally lame, but I went along with it. Couple #4 went...then we were up. Mr. Cool and I walked out to the center of the gym, ready to be announced, give a little wave, and walk off. But instead, something else happened.

I'll never forget it. We were about six steps to the middle, our feet echoing in that silent gym as I'm sure the students were anticipating what dance we would do. And instead of what I expected, a song came on the loudspeakers.

Too Sexy by Danielle on Grooveshark

"I'm too" (wait? what?) "sexy for my love," (holy shit, no way is this happening...) "too sexy for my love," (Jesus H. Christ.) "love's going to leeeeeeeaaave" (yes, this is happening).

The beat began.

In that moment I wasn't sure what to do. My partner, the 6'4" basketball coach, notoriously stoic and straight-faced, continued to be stoic and straight-faced. And me, the 5'3" English teacher, notoriously goofy and pretty smiley, decided to channel my inner-Grandma dancing at a wedding, and dance around my stoic partner, who was still standing there in the middle of the gym, unmoving.

I'm not sure why I chose to do this, or what came over me. It was truly a slow-motion moment, a car accident, something I'm sure if you saw happening you wouldn't be able to look away from. In less than a second I became a dancing, shimmying fool. My subconscious had apparently choreographed a number to this song sometime in the 90s and there I was, in front of hundreds of teenagers and my colleaugues, performing it.

In the middle of my 30-second routine that felt like a lifetime, I remember seeing faces. Some surprised, some horrified, some astounded. But I kept dancing. And when the music ended, there was a slow clap. A slooooooow clap. And then cheers as we walked off, either excited about my awesome moves, or excited that it was over, who really knows...

You'd think one of my most embarrassing moments in a high school would have happened to me while I was in high school, but no. It was in my twenties. And in front of all the people I worked with, and all of the little people I had to have authority over, even after they saw me shaking it to "I'm Too Sexy," and even after I was already mistaken for a student every day of my existence. A few life lessons though: one, never assume someone will do what they say. There might always be someone in the group who thinks it's funny to throw some Right Said Fred in the mix. Two, speak up. I should have demanded a different partner so I could have done a fun rap routine, or on at least worn a banana costume like the PE teacher did. Way cooler. There are other lessons here too, like who cares what people think, get over yourself, etc. But most importantly, perhaps the lesson here is that I should channel my inner-Grandma at a wedding more often because guess what? I WON.

xoxo

31 comments:

  1. hahaha! Such a funny experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! (More embarrassed in my twenties i mean) Though I don't have a dancing story! I think it just goes with the highschool teaching territory.

    Bettina
    www.littleoldsouls.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be end of mine day, however before finish I am reading this enormous post to increase my experience.

    Feel free to visit my homepage :: diet plans for women

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great ending to an awkward situation. Well done girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Bettina is right. there is a special kind of embarrassment that comes with teaching high school when you're young, or maybe I just say that because I was homeschooled and my first day of high school ever I was the teacher. Me and another teacher did the Jimmy Fallon/ Justin Timberlake History of Rap for a talent show two years ago- as someone who mostly grew up listening to Phish, it was a pretty weird moment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there to experience that epic day! You are so brave and hilarious for doing that. And said teacher/basketball coach was painfully stoic and serious. Even when he laughed he rarely smiled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is perfect! I always loved when teachers stopped being serious for a moment and just let their crazy side come out - well, I guess every student loves that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha! i joke all the time that as a teacher we never get to escape so many of the horrors of high school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freakin' A RIGHT! LOVED this story. You GO, sista!

    At the pep rally on my first year as an English teacher, they made us answer embarrassing questions and walk around a circle to sit in chairs with students. If people ended up on the same chair, we'd have to sit on students' LAPS! Weirdest, most uncomfortable game EVER. But at least there was no Right Said Fred. :)

    Cally
    www.frommyhearthtoyours.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is too hilarious and I wish there was a video of it to complete the awesomeness. I'm so happy you danced, Grandma style and all. I could of never done that and I would of just stood there like Mr. Cool. Not because I was too cool, but because I'd be too shy and embarrassed for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness!! You brave soul, I would have died! Bravo for making the best of it and uh WINNING at the end :). Wish someone had recorded that..or maybe not.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! What a great story, and it's a great message to send to the students. Instead of freezing, you just went with it regardless of what everyone thought. I also wish there was a video :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad this moment wasn't captured by video! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun story, thanks for sharing. I worked as an inclusion aide at a high school while I was in college and I too was always mistaken for a student.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hah. I loved this story! Well worth the twitter spam your now getting :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this story! I love channeling my inner grandma dance ! So awesome : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great lovely story! Interesting and made my day!!!
    haha

    Cheers
    Mike
    www.migrationavenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my god. Thank you for sharing this! I literally was laughing out loud over here, while picturing this whole story in my head. But as embarrassing as the story is, I think you are even more awesome now. This is too great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness. I can totally picture the "is this really happening? "yup, yup it is" "holy goodness what now" - literally, I was in slow motion there with you. Good for you getting through it - and for winning :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my gosh. thank you so much for sharing this story, ha! you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Social Media Marketing is a very easy way for Marketing and Advertising, Now you can Get Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Favorites, Youtube Views,Subscribes,Likes, Google Plus Followers, Stumbleupon Followers, Digg Followers, Websites Visitors and Much More.
    Just Visit the Website and Start Promoting now without any Charges
    GetLikeFast.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Social Media Marketing is a very easy way for Marketing and Advertising, Now you can Get Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Favorites, Youtube Views,Subscribes,Likes, Google Plus Followers, Stumbleupon Followers, Digg Followers, Websites Visitors and Much More.
    Just Visit the Website and Start Promoting now without any Charges
    GetLikeFast.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips