Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Dressing a Boy


When I first found out our Henry was a he, so many people mentioned how sad it was that there were SO many cute items and clothing for girls, but none for the boys. I was bummed out at first (have I ever mentioned the watermelon bathing suit breakdown of 2010?), but then realized that everyone was wrong! Dead wrong! There are a million cute things out there for boys, with more options coming out by the day.

I regularly get emails and comments asking for tips on dressing little dudes, and although I'm no expert, I thought I would put together a post full of links to our favorite shops, and some tips and tricks that work for us. I'm sharing links to stores here, but keep in mind that second hand shopping or thrift stores are awesome options too. And speaking of second hand, now that we have another boy on the way, I'm grateful I get to pass my favorite items right on down. Dressing a boy is FUN people! And who says there aren't great clothes for the little guys anyway?

1. H&M hat, tee and plaid shirt. Old Navy girls skinnies. Freshly Picked moccs
2. Target cardigan. Zara tee and jeans. Sperry shoes
3. H&M hat, Old Navy jacket, Neff watch, Old Navy jeans, Sperry shoes

My three favorite big box shops for boys:

Zara

This is hands down my most favorite online stop for Henry's clothing. Their prices are pretty reasonable and they offer both free shipping and returns on everything, no minimum purchase. This is where I've found Henry's cute European-style bathing suits (at $12.90, what a steal!) and a lot of his colored denim and cute tees. Also be sure to pay attention to their end of the season sales- amazing prices on everything and a great time to stock up.

Old Navy/Gap

This is the best shop for cheap basics. Old Navy is cheaper than Gap, but if you hit the online sales (up to 40% sometimes) you can get killer deals. Henry's denim cut off shorts are from Gap- always lots of questions on these- and most of his striped shirts are from Old Navy. And for the baby boys, Gap is my favorite place ever- they have the softest, cutest baby things.

Mini Boden

This store is a little bit pricier, but the quality is the best, and they offer a lot of cute things that can dress up your basic outfit. I love their winter coats, and they have some of the most adorable tees and hoodies around.

More big box favorites: J. Crew (expensive, but wonderful for special occasions), Target, H&M (best cardigans!), American Apparel, Walmart (ugh...but they have great hoodies and leggings).


1. Wishing Elephant cardigan. Old Navy tee. Gap jeans
2. Walmart hoodie. Old Navy jean jacket. Zara jeans. Freshly Picked moccs
3. H&M hat, Old Navy sweater. Gap jeans. Freshly Picked moccs

Besides the big stores, there are many, many amazing small businesses to support that have wonderful things for boys.

Little Hip Squeaks is an Etsy shop run by a sweet friend of mine, and she makes some of the cutest leggings and hats around. So many of the LHS prints are gender neutral, and what's cuter than a toddler boy in a comfy sweatshirt, moccasins and leggings? (answer: nothing!)

Freshly Picked. Anytime you see Henry in moccasins, they are Freshly Picked. FP sent us a whole bunch awhile ago and it was the first time we'd ever tried them. They can be a bit pricey for some people but you have to take into consideration that they are handmade, 100% leather and last FOREVER. Seriously, my kid is a rough and tumble kinda toddler and has worn his moccasins in all sorts of environments...and all of his pairs are still going strong. Totally worth it. And the best part, they're totally gender neutral too, so you can pass them down from kid to kid, or friend to friend.

Hi by Hello Apparel. Another friend-run business that makes super cute items for little ones. They also have great sales on the regular. Be sure to check out their tees, pullovers, and leggings.

Some other favorites: Darling Clementine for fun, original pieces. The Wishing Elephant for monogram cardigans. Candy Kirby Designs for leggings and blankets. Winter Wear Factory for made in the USA, all-organic goodness. Bobo Choses for really gorgeous onesies and tees. Thief & Bandit for awesome leggings and graphic prints.


1. H&M hat, Target sweatshirt. Old Navy girls skinnies. Freshly Picked moccs
2. Target polo. Zara jeans. Sperry shoes
3. H&M hat and sweatshirt, Zara jeans, Vans shoes

Some tips:

1. Take a look in the girl's section! Some of my favorite jeans for Henry are actually made for girls, believe it or not. The Old Navy toddler girls skinnies are amazing- just be sure to size up. Henry typically wears a 2T or 3T in boys bottoms and wears a 4T in the girls.

2. Staples! Henry wears a ton of stripes and I layer around them. Layering is key, and don't be scared to mix patterns. A striped shirt with a flannel over it, a plaid print with color block leggings, it all works!

3. Don't be afraid of color. Sometimes I feel like boys clothing is stuck in the same blue, gray, green cycle. Mixing it up with pops of neon or bright colors that might not be what people think of when they think "boy" can be such a wonderful way to change it up.

4. Hats, accessories and shoes. Henry is a total hat kid, and loves wearing his knit hats. Whenever I post a photo of him in his beanie people always ask "how on Earth do you get him to keep it on?!" We started putting them on him when he was little, and it just became a normal thing. He also sees Daddy wearing his baseball hats and beanies and wants to do the same. Our #1 spot for knit hats is H&M- that's where 75% of his hats are from. If you're looking for a snapback or fitted ball cap, we got Henry's Suns hat from Amazon (search toddler snapbacks) and you can find fitted team hats in toddler sizes at places like Lids in any mall.

For sunglasses, I've found that the best place for cheap RayBan-esque sunglasses is Target, and I've also had luck at Nordstrom. Henry also loves to wear a watch, and the red one he sometimes wears is by Neff.

As far as shoes, I feel like we've tried a ton, but it can be tricky to find ones that are not only good quality, but let your little one's feet move freely as they're mastering walking, or now in Henry's case, mastering skating, scooting and jumping off of tall things. Yikes!

Sperry Topsiders  (the Halyard lace-ups are our favorites)
Vans Authentics
Toms (the Botas line is our #1 pick)
Saltwater Sandals (BEST summer shoes ever- so durable and so worth it!)
Freshly Picked Moccs
Natives (a much cuter alternative to Crocs- also be sure to check out Old Navy for look-alikes)

1. H&M hat. Mini Boden Jacket. Hi by Hello leggings. Hunter boots
2. Old Navy denim shirt and tee. Zara jeans. Saltwater sandals.
3. Suns hat via Amazon, H&M tee, Gap shorts, Sperry shoes

Outside of these tips, be sure to browse around mamas-of-boys-blogs to get inspiration too. Some favorites: Small Fry, Dear Baby, Bleubird, Modern Kiddo, Heart and Habit, Deep in the Hart, Kincaid Parade, and be sure to keep your eye on Harper's Happenings as Mandy is expecting her first baby boy this summer.

Do you have any favorites I may have left out? Feel free to share links in the comments.

Yay for little boys!



40 comments:

  1. I'm having so much fun dressing my Henry...boys clothes are so fun with plenty of cute options, contrary to popular belief. We love Zara, Gap, and some boutique brands for special pieces. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh no I think it would be way more fun to dress a boy, I was never a girly girl myself and I just find little boy's clothes way more adorable! You've got Henry in some super cute outfits, he's so sweet.

    http://www.rafflesbizarre.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always, always noticed how colorful little Henry looks. I love the mix between blues, yellows, reds, greens... list goes on! Hooray to you, for being creative and making sure your boy transmits happiness. I mean it. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great tips and makes me want a baby even more :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dressing my son. I often get asked where I get his clothes from. A good bulk of Jarvis's wardrobe is second hand, Ebay and hand me downs that I refashion, or clothes I make for him. I love boys outfits so much fun. The only thing I miss about having a little girl is doing Jarvis's hair. I think this is the only way I feel limited.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have guessed you bought him girl skinnies but I can definitely see why. I'll have to remember that for the future if we ever have a boy lol. To be honest I love toddler boys clothes much more than girls. Mainly because the cute girl stuff I find is way out of my budget haha.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl skinnies...awesome. I hadn't thought of that.


    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always adored the way you dress him. A stylish little man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This shop has some of my favorite graphic boy tees. Gus loves his lumberjack punching a bear shirt and the diver punching a shark.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sharpshirter?ref=seller_info

    ReplyDelete
  10. My boys usually want to dress with a theme (scientist, skater, surfer, etc.). It actually makes finding clothes for them pretty fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is soooo great! Our little guy is in serious need of a spring wardrobe. I love the tip of looking in the girls' section. We just put Archie in a pair of his big sister's old jeggings and I almost died he looked so cute!

    Natalie of natthefatrat.blogspot.com does a round-up on babble of boys clothes that I always love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, he's always dressed perfectly. Love this post, even though I have girls! Great tips... (and we shop in the boys section for some girl things too)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you have no idea how helpful this is! it's nice that i haven't had to buy much for my little man but all the gift clothes we've gotten are all blue, grey, trucks, baseball ... boring. love your tips! we love looking in the girls section as well. some of my favorite pieces are from there. although i'm so against 'sections' i can't even begin to say! let clothes be clothes! who says my boy can't wear pink?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, your son has some style!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zara was my secret weapon when my boys were little. They had the cutest clothes there! Also, loehmans. If you have one, they often have designer kids clothes at great prices

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the links! I'm always on the lookout for cute boy's wear for my little one, especially since he keeps growing so fast. Will definitely be bookmarking these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love, LOVE this post!! I, too, have a little guy and adore the way you dress Henry so these links made this mama very excited to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you posted this as just last night I was moaning to my husband about how unfair it is how much more fun it looks to dress girls - we are having a baby boy in June. I needed some inspiration, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found when max was born it was hard as it was mostly babyish blue clothes but now he's older I love dressing him! And I love scouring the girls rails for things too. Max doesn't know the difference so I don't care! Boys are infact the best to dress haha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can have some amazing fun with boys. My Max was always dressed in the latest things, and they were never expensive at all.

    Your little fellow is very funky.

    Stephanie

    http://in-my-backyard.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can have some amazing fun with boys. My Max was always dressed in the latest things, and they were never expensive at all.

    Your little fellow is very funky.

    Stephanie

    http://in-my-backyard.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree! When I first found out I was having a boy I was ashamedly disappointed because I felt like my dreams of dressing a little girl were dashed. But now that I've been dressing him for almost 8 months I have found there is a lot of cute little boy stuff out there! I definitely agree about H&M cardigans and I'll have to check out some of of your other recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE this post! I felt exactly the same when I found out I was having a boy and now I LOVE shopping for boys clothes. Like you a dip into the girls section too, especially for cords :) Actually I started recording what I dressed Wilf in on my blog in a feature 'What Wilf Wore' although I need to update it soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was in the same boat and frame of mind ..until recently. I love next for boys clothes, now I have far too much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved Zara up until my little guy grew out of 3T and could no longer wear their "baby" sizes. This is so silly and just a matter of principle, but I am so annoyed by the fact that a size 4 shirt cost the same as a size 14 in boys that I refuse buy anything full-price from them, even though it's still cheap. You could make three size 4 shirts out of one size 14! I wish they would follow the same sizing that gap and old navy do, offering toddler sizes up to 5T. At least then we'd get a couple more years in of less expensive clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You MUST check out Mabo Kids (http://www.mabokids.com/). My friend from high school started this company and it is all USA made and SO cute. I love anything striped on a baby (check out those leggings!) I have a little girl but I'm considering buying her those gray corduroy overalls. Ridiculously cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok, Henry is the cutest dressed boy I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE this post! I have a children's fashion blog where i showcase what my two boys and my daughter wear. I am having so so so much fun dressing my two year old boy!! yay for boys!!
    www.thebluecloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the way you dress your little boy! I have twin 16mo girls myself. But I'm gonna pass this onto one of my friends! I have a question though... I've been seeing those super cute mocs all over and have been wondering how they are with walking toddlers. It seems like there wouldn't be much support since it's all leather. Does it hurt the soles of little ones' feet??

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the way you dress H, and I'd totally dress my daughter in some of these looks (that is, would she submit to my notions of normative sartorial conventions. She has other ideas, and a will of steel.) Anyway, I'm going to check out a few of these shops that are new to me, and dream!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such great style! We don't know what we're having yet...but I'm loving these boy ideas =)

    xo,
    Katie

    hellolittlebean.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. i love henry's style! such great tips! i'll keep them in mind if have little boys in our future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. The information in your blog is very informative. Keep up the good work. WLCI School of Fashion offers various courses and programmes in fashion courses, which are very interactive and prepares students for real fashion world.
    To Know More Information Visit:
    http://www.wlcifashion.in/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree with you totally. Everyone always says to me dressing girls are way more fun and I've seen a lot of disappointed moms when they found out it was going to be a boy. I love little boy outfits and hope I have one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your blog! And I agree, I was sad at first when I found out I too was having a boy but than I realized it can be just as fun to dress a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like you blogs because we learn a lot about the children dresses. children also like to wear the fabulous types of dresses on wedding and on the mega events like the Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved this blog and this post especially..! Seriously I too love these blogs as they are really helpful for deciding kids clothes for various functions and occasions. I was searching for Baby warm dresses and got redirected to your blog. Thanks for the help. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awww your son is adorable and stylish! Love the outfits you picked out for him!
    http://blog.blacknbianco.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips