Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Yesterday.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'" from Fred Rogers. Thanks for the quote @adrianam. ❤

It can be hard to put things into words when you feel like it's already been said...and said a million times over. What else is there to add? Why say anything at all? In times of tragedy or sadness, when everyone seems to have an opinion or something to share, it sometimes can feel so redundant or even wrong to want to share your own thoughts too...

I still can't figure out though, if there really are worse things happening in the world now, or if I am just more tuned in to what is going on. Still trying to figure out if maybe this is what growing up is- opening your eyes to the things you've been lucky enough to be sheltered from all along.

I'm not sure, but after days like yesterday I struggle with an angry part of myself that wants to hate the world, hate people, hate humanity. I think about the fact that days like yesterday are a normal part of life for people all over the globe. A normal thing to see on the news, to hear in the streets, to talk about with your friends. I think about how much I detest bringing up children in this world, and I wonder if maybe I'm being selfish by wanting to have more. But this is balanced out by the other side of my thoughts and feelings- the side that sees people helping, running towards a crisis, moving forward to fix, to do, to try and make things better. The side that does believe in good, that does believe that even though there is so much bad in the world, there is more good. And this is what matters.

Now that I'm a parent I think about "the world" a lot, both in a broad sense, and in this little world we've built inside our home. I cannot control anything, but what I can do is take every single day and teach my children that they can choose love, even amidst times when it seems so much easier to choose the opposite. And that lesson and choice starts with me.

I can't be sure where the world is headed, or what's next. It's scary, and I know the older I get and the more my eyes open to what's really out there, it will only get scarier. But like Rachel said in her post this morning: "Can we be kinder?  Can we be more open?  Can we be more considerate?  Can we be a little more selfless?  To everyone?" I think that is a starting point.

I don't know much, but I know that I can begin with my little world right here and right now, and even though it might not be a lot, it's a start.

xoxo


12 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Dani. You say what I feel. Why are we so far apart?! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words Dani. There is so much bad in the world, but we also have to remember the good....and cling to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it starts with everyone being an advocate for children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't have said it any better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so well said. i considered a lot of the same things on my blog today....especially about how the older I get the more these tragedies affect me. i think being young givs someone of security and innocence and you never think bad things will happen to you. at least that was me. now i tend to obsess a little too much when things like this occur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it's selfish to want to bring children into this world. Is it scary for the parents? Heck yes. But I think it's quite important to have good, loving, caring people bringing children into this world. Because you are going to teach these children to be good, loving and caring. And the reality of those that create the bad here now won't be the reality of your children, and I am a firm believer that we won't ever have too many good ones.
    It's scary, and it's easy to clam up, and I get angry, so angry at these faceless people that hurt children and other people that they don't know, or even that they do know. But I have to remember that my anger only hurts me, and I can't let them win.
    I think there's something to be said for a change to the news. I think that if there were more awards given for good deeds, not even awards, but attention, maybe it would be something to strive for. I think a lot of these cases, a lot of these events are created by people that want to feel powerful, that want to feel good about themselves, and so in the panning and then the doing of these horrible things they are actually feeling good. It's backwards and awful and I'm not sure I know how to change it. But it is a thing happening. Glory for the guts of others. I find it sickening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its a daily conundrum between my husband and I, I've found enlightenment from reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, also the Story of B is also a must read :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life will always present challenges and we will always wonder why people do what they do, why do things happen to someone we love.

    The world needs children to be brought into the world that will be taught right from wrong, good from evil and just to love life itself; take nothing for granted.

    What happened the other day is I don't know... horrible. Someone was saying that how can man do these sort of things and that there is no hope for us. Someone then asked him to watch the footage again and note how many people were running to the bomb site; whilst we have these people there is always hope, just like you said.

    Keep being kind and don't let anyone bring you or your family down.

    Our hearts and thoughts to Boston.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful. It's true that all we can do is teach our kids to be kinder and more caring. That part of life seems like it's been swept away for many sometimes, but there's a shift happening somehow. Times like this do bring anger, but if we turn it to see the good that heppened, we realize that the good often outweighs the bad. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful post, you have a lovely family. I always enjoy reading posts about you guys.

    -Jade
    gracious-silhouettes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sums up how I feel. I get so frustrated with the world that I actually just try not to think about it at all. It even puts me off having children to think they could be in an even more terrible world when they grow up. I need to reflect on what I can do to be a force for good in the world x

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips