Monday, May 6, 2013

10Ks and bawling like a baby

Whiskey Row Marathon 2013

Have you ever experienced the person you love really, really take steps towards becoming their very best self? It's AMAZING. I could go on and on about this, but for the sake of not embarrassing Hank and keeping this post to the point, I'll just say that over the past year Hank has gotten super into fitness. And it's not like he was ever some couch potato- he's always skateboarded, and played basketball and soccer growing up- but over the past few years he hasn't always been the picture of health outside of some stints of running. This past year though, a fire was lit under him and he's completely changed his life through CrossFit and training on his own. It's been so inspiring to see his transformation. And I'm not even talking about the physical aspect; mentally and emotionally he's just become this insanely positive person (who was already a super positive person, so imagine that) who inspires me daily.

So when he decided to run the 10K (6.2 miles) at the Whiskey Row Marathon this year, it was such an exciting thing. He never imagined himself doing something like this, and more so, enjoying it! He finished well under his goal and right after finishing said "I should have done the half." And later that evening decided on his next race, a half-marathon taking place in a couple of months.

But the second part of this post's title? Let me fill you in...

So the three of us woke up extra early on Saturday morning and got ready for the day. Hank ate his protein bar, I got Henry fed and clothed, and we headed out the door by 6:45am. The 10K started at 7:30am so we arrived downtown with plenty of time for Hank to get warmed up and ready to run. I had Henry in his stroller, so we walked around for a bit, admiring all the awesome neon running gear and visiting some of the booths, and eventually got a spot by the start so we could watch Hank take off.

Whiskey Row Marathon 2013
Whiskey Row Marathon 2013

Henry was in good spirits, cheering and laughing as the count down began. "3, 2, 1...GO!" And they were off.

Whiskey Row Marathon 2013

Being the over-planning person I am, I had already staked out our spot at the finish line and decided my game plan. Rather than standing and waiting for 45 minutes for Hank to finish up, I planned to pull one of the park benches right over to the edge of the runner's path and got a prime spot to watch the participants come in, where I would snap an amazing photo of Hank running by in his FIRST RACE EVER! Yeah!

Whiskey Row Marathon 2013

So I did just that. I got the bench, ended up sharing it with two of the sweetest little old ladies whose husbands were in the 90s and have been running (now walking) the 10K for over 20 years, and kept Henry occupied with a juicy apple.

Henry, 18/52

I was so excited for Hank to come through that finish line, and once the 40-minute mark hit I began obsessively watching around the corner for his red shirt and orange sunglasses. My camera was set to on, my iPhone video was ready to go; I was prepared. Henry had moved onto wanting a Larabar at this point so I reached down to grab it, and as I opened it and gave it to him, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

Guess who it was?

(cue tears)

HANK.

Ugh! Somehow in that one moment of me looking down I had missed him coming through the finish line. I immediately burst into tears and skipped over the cute kinda-crying stage and went into the full-on ugly cry. I HAD MISSED IT! And I know it might not be a big deal for some, but it was to me, and especially to my over-emotional pregnant self. It was beyond just snapping a photo- I had sat there for close to an hour watching all of these people finish, watch all of them accomplish this great thing, and I wanted to watch MY person accomplish his. It was his big moment. And I missed it.

Maybe 30-seconds into my big cry I realized that my husband, who had just achieved this great personal goal, was comforting ME, and I hastily stopped the waterworks. Isn't that the worst, when you realize you're making something that is so, so not about you, about you? And that's what I was doing. Luckily though it took me a second but I got it together and after begging him to pretend to cross the finish line again (he wouldn't! haha) we snapped some photos of him BY the finish line and celebrated and cheered and I cried some more...but a happy cry this time. Definitely happy.

Whiskey Row Marathon 2013
Whiskey Row Marathon 2013

36 comments:

  1. I love this post! I smile every time you talk about Hank and yourself. My husband is a cyclist and I get supper into it, jumping from one point to another trying to get the perfect shot. Tell him good luck with the half from the random reader world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an awesome post! I would've probably cried like crazy just watching my husband cross the finish line - whether I got a photo or not!

    I'm getting so inspired by runners - I'm signing up for my first 10k in August!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww what a bummer! I don't blame you, I'm training for my first half right now so I know what a big deal it is for someone. I totally would have been bawling too if it was my hubby/friend! But congrats to Hank! What an awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried too! Lol pregnant hormones here as well so much so I'm crying because I would feel the exact same way! What a great accomplishment though for Hank!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww you poor thing!
    I've been there before...all of a sudden it hits you like "What am I doing? This isn't about me?!" I am a super emotional lady so I for sure have been there.

    I am so glad you got to still get some photos of him by the finish line, and the cute story!

    xoxo,
    Tara O.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww I'd be so upset too!!!! But at least you know he finished it and you can be proud to say that!
    I ran my first 5K a month and a bit ago and I want to run in a 10k so bad but we don't have any anytime soon unfortunately. So I'd either have to travel or run one on my own!!! I LOOOOVE running. Definitely a new to me passion :)

    Jessica
    www.littlemapleleaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha aw, those hormones'll getcha...the *near* finish line picture is great. good for hank! that rocks :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, this post is so sweet. I have been following your blog for a couple months now but this is my first time commenting. I cried reading about how sad you were over this because I felt what a testament it is to your pride in your husband.

    That, or maybe us Danielles are overly emotional haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have cried a little too :)
    But that's so cool for Hank! Congrats to him!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww, such a sweet post! it is really amazing when you see the person you love accomplish something you always knew they could accomplish...but maybe they never knew it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is brilliant! Races are great for goal setting.a half is def the next step for hank,fab

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marathons are incredible & it makes me so happy that Hank was able to run one. I'm sure you are one proud wife. Congrats to him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go Hank!! I absolutely get the whole watching someone become their best self thing. My husband has started running marathons (I've been at the finish line for 4 now!) and I become a crazy ball of anxiety as it gets close to the time he should finish. The thought of missing him run by is so overwhelming! I don't have a small child to pay attention to just yet though, so it's a bit easier for me to not miss him! STILL I am terrified that I will - and I picture my reaction being similar even though I've already been to 4!

    Congrats Hank!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Free Facebook Likes, Free Targeted Facebook Likes, Make Unlimited Likes on your Facebook Fan Page, Facebook Share, Facebook Followers, Facebook Post Like and Share, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Follow, LinkedIn share, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes
    Social Media Marketing is the easy way to increase your Folow Likes and Subsribes
    getlikefast.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I could so have done the same in that situation - but great for him that he did the race and enjoyed himself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I blog often and I truly appreciate your content.
    Your article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to book mark your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I subscribed to your Feed as well.

    Feel free to visit my web-site Wiki.depechemode.ru

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's amazing!!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If some one needs expert view on the topic of blogging and site-building after that
    i suggest him/her to visit this blog, Keep up the good work.


    My website :: Ford ranger

    ReplyDelete
  19. So great! Congratulations, i bet you're so proud! Looks like you had the loveliest weekend.

    -Jade
    gracious-silhouettes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bravo. I'd be so proud. Congratulations to Hank, that's quite the achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its not my first time to pay a visit this site, i am browsing this website dailly
    and take fastidious data from here every day.

    my blog: kliknij

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh that is the sweetest...congrats to Hank on such an awesome achievement (discovering your best self).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awwwww, such a sweet post. Yea for your mister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. aww thats so sweet. It's quite an achievement!
    also how big is Henry getting! x
    http://www.tigerlillyquinn.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing - congrats to Hank, and your hormones! I imagine I would be exactly the same in that situation! :)
    www.everywordhandwritten.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. That sounds like something I would do! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this story is amazing it made me tear up and smile! what a great achievement for him and experience for you all.

    Zoe x
    http://gypsiesister.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  28. My husband started running last summer and is so dedicated. I've been trying to convince him to start racing as I think he would really benefit having a goal and purpose other than just being skinny and fit. And he would enjoy the competition. I signed us up to do a 5k together though, so that's exciting! And he's pretty stoked. He doesn't know it's a color mob run though...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, Dani you sweet thing you, hahaha, I would have totally been a sobbing mess too, that's so my style! You poor thing. Congratulations to Hank! What a proud moment! Sending you love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. haha awww. I loved this post, sweet friend. You have such a good heart. Yay for your husband, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats to Hank! What a great accomplishment. Dani, you are the sweetest. I probably would have cried too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You guys are so cute. I would have cried too. I was an emotional mess this last pregnancy so I feel ya :)

    Kayla @mamanemery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. awwwww, oh no!! I totally understand. And that feeling of making things about you - I've been there, and you're right, it's the WORST. Yay for taking pictures afterwards though, all works out in the end. And you're right, people you love doing awesome things is always awesome.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips