Thursday, May 23, 2013

Birthdays & Pregnancy & Foam Pits & Graham Crackers

Father's Day 2012- Flagstaff
Summer's almost here!

There's so much to say, and to write. First of all, thank you guys for all the input on Tuesday evening's post. It's amazing to know that I am so not alone in these thoughts! I'm sure it will be a topic I'll revisit in the years to come, but for now reading all of your different perspectives gave me so much insight. Thank you.

So, update time. Life is good. My 31st birthday is in less than a week and I'm excited. My Mom always likes to say that it wouldn't be my birthday without a little crying on my part, but now I'm pleased to say the tears are usually reserved for happy reasons. Growing up though, I was such an emotional kid that I have some vivid memories of getting so, so upset during my small family birthday parties. Even as a little one I had a strange perfectionist flair, and I often had expectations that didn't match up to reality. And at age eight, I was a little too young to understand that I needed to let go of that. I can recall one birthday (and we have photos to illustrate this) where I blew out the candles too early, resulting in tears. Another year my Mom made a chocolate cake instead of pineapple upside cake, and of course, I cried. And yet another where I was given my first training bra (A BRA! Horror of horrors!) in front of some of my extended family. And you guessed it...tears! haha. Oh, emotional me. But nowadays my birthday tears are all happy and I hope this year is the same. Just no training bras or premature candle blow-outs, okay?

As far as the pregnancy, yesterday marked the first day of the third trimester. Um, excuse me? Where did the time go? I certainly don't feel like I should already be 27 weeks pregnant, but here I am, and here's that growing bump too. I've been feeling really great up until this week, when the fatigue kind of came back out of nowhere and has me wanting to sleep everywhere, and anywhere. I am NOT a nap person. If I fall asleep for even ten minutes I have the worst time getting to bed at night, but it's been unavoidable the past couple of days. I sit down for a second once Henry goes down for his nap, and I'm out like a light. The only other pregnancy thing going on is anxiety. This happened last time I was pregnant too, and it's not fun at all. Nothing serious like panic attacks or anything like that, but just an overall anxious feeling that comes and goes every once and awhile. But other than that it's been smooth sailing and I'm still in the "love being pregnant, would love to do it a couple more times if possible" club. That's the official name, if you didn't know.

My c-section hasn't been scheduled yet but I keep thinking about how strange it will be to know the exact date I'll be giving birth. Last time around I was past my due date and it was a very different experience than knowing when it would be happening. But this time I can shower, get ready, and drive calmly over to the hospital? Craaazy!

And what else is going on? Henry has been doing gymnastics once a week and loving it. He is a wild, physical, energetic little guy so it's been wonderful to have an outlet for him to be "safely crazy" in. The class is awesome, if not a little unstructured for my taste, but overall great. We start each morning with runs through their huge toddler obstacle course, and then throughout the hour they do a variety of activities- foam pit, trampoline, etc. It's a toddler paradise! Other things in our world: getting the nursery ready for Charlie, making progress on our backyard, and me trying to harness the ups and downs that these pregnancy hormones are making me feel. Hank...bless his patient heart! Oh and one last notable thing- have you ever eaten something to death? Not your death of course, but the food's death? I think I may have done this with graham crackers this week. When we got back from Disneyland I put off food shopping right away because I was too tired and figured we could make do with what we had in the pantry. After lunchtime rolled around and Henry went down for his nap I was ravenous for something (anything!) sweet, so I dug out a box of graham crackers and went to town. I ate quite a few of them, then a few more, and before I knew it I had polished off an entire sleeve. I felt sick the rest of the day and I am not sure if I can ever eat another graham cracker again. Sad day for the graham cracker over here...

Yours in random posts,

Danielle


20 comments:

  1. Although I wish I had the experience of just going into labor spontaneously, there's something to be said for having it scheduled when you have other children at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the share! I'm so excited for you! Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, the second pregnancy is so different isn't it? i felt like i could never catch up on my sleep. i think i was an active participant in nap time every single day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is almost 15 months old and I'm 5 months pregnant and oh my gosh am I ever so thankful for her two glorious naps throughout the day. I so desperately need them this time. It's insane how tiring the second time is. I remember being tired before, but I suppose I didn't have a one year old then haha. I too am pretty stoked to have a scheduled csection this time around. I imagine my face and hair will look gorgeous this time. ;) ha Our last time also didn't go as planned and ended in an emergency csection. I was sad, but am now thankful this one is planned. You look gorgeous by the way and I can't wait to see Charlie and Henry's similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always take my birthday off from work because it's such an emotional day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are probably soul sisters. I know we've already talked about it - but just everything you say - yes.
    I'm emotional enough as it is without being with child!

    A training bra?! haha. Terrible.

    Hope you have a little extra energy soon!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Training bra?! I would have cried too. I hope you have a lovely birthday this year xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the graham cracker story :) Since pregnant I ate Gigi's cupcakes to death. Haha. A girl from work would bring them to me and I ate them for at least 2 days straight. They are super sweet and since then I haven't wanted one (which is not normal for me). ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, you cried during your birthdays as well?! Growing up, until I was maybe *12*, I cried every time my family sang Happy Birthday and rarely did I want to sit surrounded by everyone singing. I still don't know why... But I was highly emotional over the whole ordeal. I still stand there uncomfortably, but at least I don't burst into tears or hide, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I was a bit emotional as well as a kiddo :) If I dont drop by before, have a great birthday ! Rosie x

    www.everywordhandwritten.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looove your random posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore your blog. Adore your heart and where you are at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog!!

    http://tickledglitter.blogspot.com

    XOXO,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, I would have cried too if my mom had given me a bra in front of other people!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Graham crackers are a true comfort food especially when smeared with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.Jana @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been a big fan of graham crackers, except using them for smores! But I do get in food phases, where I eat a certain cereal a couple times in a row, or a certain snack, and then I get fed up with them and want something else. Not sure if I've ate something to 'death' yet though! My food is still safe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was so hilarious to read about you getting upset at your birthday parties as a child because I was totally the same way! We have video and photos of me at nearly every birthday party looking either really miserable or crying! I always thought it was because I have such a large family and they would all be there along with some of my friends, and it just stressed me out trying to give everyone equal attention. Plus, I've always had a love/hate relationship with the spotlight, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I do hope I get to visit Disneyland one day. I eat a graham cracker or two if I have an upset stomach, but I can totally see how too many could put you off them for life - I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a planned c-section for my daughter (she was breech) and the day before was so bizarre, we sat and spent time together knowing it was the last day it was the two of us. It's so planned it's almost unreal- and nothing beats walking into the OR and laying down on the table and thinking "wait, I'm about to have a baby...". Totally crazy feelings.

    http://robutton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. The most exciting part of the event is now here on June 17th, pick up cheap neverwinter astral diamond on safewow and prepare yourself for war now! Safewow neverwinter astral diamond is the cheapest online with 100% manual work quality! Fast delivery comes in 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips