Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Currently.

birthday treats
birthday treats from my sweet friend Veronica.  

Reading: I just finished the Delirium trilogy last night and LOVED it. Like really, really loved it. I reviewed book one a week or so ago, and since then I've been reading the last two whenever I had a free moment. Usually a chapter or two before bed every night and whenever I can squeeze it in between my to-do list during Henry's naps. A handful of you commented that you didn't like the second book, but I actually really liked it. It was a lot more technical, if that makes sense- when you read the books it should- but I didn't find it slow or anything. I really got into the characters and thought the author did an excellent job. I highly recommend the entire trilogy. Please let me know if you pick it up!

Listening to: my summer jam! Maybe this music is made for 15-year olds...but I'm loving it. I will be playing this all summer long.

 
Feeling thankful: whenever summer rolls around we always find ourselves traveling a bit more. I think part of this is for obvious reasons- it's summer! And hot! But also because there will always be a part of me that is a student/teacher at heart who thinks of summer as those golden months that should be full of DOING. I find myself planning our summers to the brim, filling every weekend up with something to do, and I feel grateful we're able to do these things before life gets a little crazier.

Thinking about: the whole Boy Scouts thing. I know that ANY progress is good progress...but I don't understand how it can even be celebrated that they now "let" gay individuals become Boy Scouts...but then if you are gay you are banned from being a troop leader. What message does that send? I don't get it. "Okay, you can be a Boy Scout, but don't ever aspire to take on a leadership position because you're not good enough- you're not allowed." I've talked about it SO many times on this blog but it makes me so sick to my stomach that ANYONE could feel they have a right to tell someone that being gay is wrong. It's also been said over and over but I truly feel like we will all look back on this time in history like we do a lot of other dark times and be so appalled and so disgusted at the actions of so many. So yay Boy Scouts, you're a fraction there, but I will NOT applaud you until you recognize that all people are equal, and that gay people are just as capable of leading as a straight person. I could go on but I'll stop here.

Eating: fruit. Henry and I were grocery shopping at Trader Joe's on Monday and a woman was giving out samples of the most delicious, juiciest nectarines I've ever had in my life. Both Henry and I fell in love and I bought about 12 of them. That was Monday, today is Tuesday...and we only have 3 left! Oops! Seriously though, fruit right now is all I want to eat. Grapes, nectarines, peaches, raspberries, cherries...the best. 

Watching: you know me and my love for terribly awesome reality television, and guess what just started back up? You guessed it...The Bachelorette. This season is pretty good already- I definitely have some favorites and also some NOT so favorites. Are you watching?  Who are your picks? What do you think of Des as the Bachelorette?

Bummed out on: the new Flickr and saying goodbye to Google Reader. Kind of a not-so-fun heading, but it's a must this time around because I'm legitimately sad about both of these things. One, Flickr. Uggggh! I am just not a fan of the new look, layout, anything! I'm definitely a creature of habit but still, I don't mind when something changes as long as it's an improvement. But this is definitely NOT! Have you used it yet? I use Flickr for everything, and I use it every single day. I've given it a fair try for a couple of weeks and still hate it. Hoping I eventually get used to it, or they eventually change it back...although I doubt that will happen. And then Google Reader? Sad, sad. I still need to try out Feedly (maybe I'll love it!) but I am bummed that something that was so easy to use is just gone. Okay, ending the negativity but I'm SURE some of you feel me on these very important things (that actually aren't that important at all, right?).

Loving: peonies, adding lots of green to our home in the form of plants (this is the first year I've really enjoyed gardening), making little videos, decorating Charlie's nursery, Henry and his imagination, swimming with Hank, and the protein pancakes at US Egg. So good.

So, how about you? What are you up to today? Feel free to do your own "currently" post on your blog and link back in the comments for everyone to check out. And thanks again to my dear friend Megan for providing the original inspiration for these posts.

31 comments:

  1. I just did a currently post today too! It must be the day for them.

    Thank you for sharing that song. Now I am officially obsessed with it too.

    Summertime is seriously such an amazing time of year. There is just this feeling in the air and this certain excitement. You almost can't describe it at all, it is just an incredible thing. You should listen to Hell Raisin' Heat of the Summer by Florida Georgia Line. Country + Summer is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to miss Google Reader too. It was so nice being able to blog and catch up on my favorites in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with my summer mix too, so glad the sun is out.

    Today, we had friends over for a picnic tea in the garden, and I've just put the finishing touches to my first imovie film of our holiday last week. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was pretty bummed about Google Reader too, but I'm getting used to Feedly. It's nice that you can import your feeds from Google! They're still working out some kinks at Feedly, but it's overall pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about google reader- so sad! and yeah, the whole boy scouts thing....it's great but it's so sad to hear the debates on how allowing gay leaders will "ruin" the boy scouts. It makes me SO angry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should pick up using Bloglovin instead of Google Reader. It's really nice and easy. Also, all that fruit sounds delicious and I'm jealous!

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like the new Flickr either :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay!! thanks for writing about the boy scout thing, dani. it's really important, and i hope they make lots of progress soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm bummed about Google Reader too! I've been using BlogLovin' though, which is a pretty good alternative, I think. I transferred all my GFC blogs over to BlogLovin' which made it a super easy transition.

    And, yes, I'm watching The Bachelorette! I like Des. :) It's hard to know who's who so early on but I think my early favorite is Brooks and I definitely don't like Mikey T. I'll be recapping it on my blog again (the first episode here and second episode here) so I'm having fun with that. Who is your favorite? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your son's names that you have picked out! I am so picky about boy's names that I like but they seem to go so well together :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recommend peacharines, if you can find them. They obviously a hybrid combo of a peach and nectarine, and they are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh am only two books into the Delirium triology (I have at least 3 other friends nagging me to finish it), glad you enjoyed - this bodes well :)

    Will miss GoogleReader too, Feedly pretty good and BlogLovin have upped their game with their mobile app and web version, but it's not the same! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started a blog, am trying to sleep train my 6 month old, and started the paleo "diet".
    I will definitely do a "currently" series on my new blog and link to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Des needs a quiet guy that won't compete with her outgoing personality. I think they say Amazing a lot on that show and so far I'm not loving it. Definitely don't like the guy using his kid. Jana@333 Days of Hand Lettering

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I'm a fan of Des.. she seems like she can't really laugh at herself even though she says she can? I didn't watch last Bachelor season, but I viewed some clips on youtube where she seemed super laid back and funny but I feel like now that she's the bachelorette she seems sort of snobby? I don't know.
    I really like Brandon and Brooks. Both seem super sweet. I'm hating Ben (however I think that's how the show wants you to feel?) and I also feel like Zak W has really stepped up his game and seems super sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im in mourning over google reader, but im actually reading this post on feedly. Using the android app and I like it. Will get some getting used to, but at least there's an option that doesn't totally blow!!

    Loved the delirium trilogy, too! Oh Alex and Leeeena!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a fan of the new Flickr, too - ugh! I was so mad when they changed it this week...and the Bachelorette!! I'm addicted. :) I know they're trying to make Brad the villian, and it's working - I really like the slightly-nervous blonde guy (forget his name!) that they're playing as the underdog right now - with the troubled past? Super-cute in an endearing way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't even get me started on the new flickr. I can't stand it.

    I'm watching the Bachelorette too and I like Des, but I get this weird vibe like she's NOT ready to settle down. She says she is, but for some reason I get the vibe that she's enjoying all the men ha. I mean who wouldn't right, I guess I can't put my finger on it.

    And thanks for that song. That was the first time I've heard it and I'm pretty sure it's going to be stuck in my head for the next 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I decided to give blogging try and make a currently post :)
    sincerelycam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Always look forward to your 'currently' posts, always end up looking into a new book or song you've posted about

    -Jade
    gracious-silhouettes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. I HATE the new Flickr too :( What a disappointment. I've been watching the Bachelorette too. I don't like one guy so far :( Maybe Brooks?!?! ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally agree with you on the Flickr comment! I loved how simple it used to be and how it was easy to use. I find it so messy and hard to read now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. http://whenlifegivesyoumellins.blogspot.com/2013/06/currently.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. www.domrockstar.com... LOVE the name Charlie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read your recommendation for "Delirium" and have since then read the entire trilogy, too! And I LOVED it!!!!! Thanks so much for your awesome book recommendations. I love them all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've also been totally obsessed with fruit during my pregnancy - must be a thing? Thanks for letting me share my 'currently' here :) http://thelittlekicks.com/blog/2013/06/08/currently-2/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't wait to read Delirium! You haven't steered me wrong when it comes to books or tv.

    Here's my Currently post: http://followk.blogspot.ca/2013/06/currently.html . Thanks for the inspiration, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you won't mind, but I'm definitely going to adopt this idea for my own blog:) I look forward to your Currently posts each week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. loved the Delirium Trilogy! I read Requiem last month, and the other two books earlier on. I was pro-Alex from book one, so I didn't enjoy the second book as much since it was all about Julian. That guy annoyed me :) I thought books 1 and 3 were strongest, and really loved getting Hana's perspective in book 3.

    I saw that you recommended Lauren Oliver's first book as well, and may look for it at the library sometime soon.

    xo leanna

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for this idea! I did a post today: http://itsliketh.is/14dzxQ0

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips