Monday, June 24, 2013

Long Weekends and Big Lakes

We just got home from a long weekend at the lake, and I actually feel totally rejuvenated. I'm sure most people can relate that sometimes (and especially while pregnant), after a really full weekend I feel like I need a weekend from my weekend. You know what I mean? But this time I got just enough sleep and swam my heart out, which I've learned over the past few years is my body's favorite form of exercise.

We spent Thursday-Sunday on our family's houseboat that docks up at Lake Powell in Page, Arizona. It's a really pretty place, full of canyons and super clean water, and once you leave the dock, most of the time it feels you like could be the only people in the entire world. Hank grew up so differently than I did, and houseboats, jet skis, wakeboarding...these were all huge parts of his childhood. Me, not so much. So it's really interesting to have been immersed in this world every summer since we've been together, and even more interesting to think about our kids growing up in such a way. To say I'm grateful Henry gets these opportunities is an understatement. I'm so happy we are able to spend these weekends and summers like this and it makes my LIFE to see his face light up at he discovers new things, or tries something he might have been previously a little scared of, like jumping off the back of the speedboat or riding on a jet ski.

We spent those four days tucked away in our own little world, which was perfect as we start winding down these last seven weeks of "just the three of us." We swam, we played, and slept in much later than usual thanks to our comfortable bed on the swaying houseboat. I had phone service maybe once per day, for a grand total of ten minutes, and this was a treat as it forced me to just let go of all of things I hold important that really aren't that important at all. Total reality check. It was the perfect 8-months pregnant kind of vacation, and as we spent the last afternoon floating in the water I looked around and all I could think, was "thank you."

Happy Summer, friends!

*all photos taken with my iPhone

Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 Lake Powell June 2013 
 
I also had to include a photo of us at Lake Powell from back in the day! I think this was in 2008.
Hank and me :)

26 comments:

  1. How cool to have that houseboat at your disposal! That really does lok like the perfect kind of getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very thankful for it! And thanks Sarah! Happy summer! <3

      Delete
  2. Would love to go away on a houseboat!

    Carina xx
    http://www.carstina.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon along next time! Blog party on the boat! ;)

      Delete
  3. Such gorgeous photos! I'd love to stay on a houseboat.
    Enjoy the sunshine :)
    Rosie x | Every Word Handwritten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie! You should definitely check it out - they do rentals and it's such a great experience. <3

      Delete
  4. Looks wonderful! No wonder you feel so great! Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Happy summer to you too!

      Delete
  5. God, I remember being on vacation on a house boat in France when I was six years old and my Mum keeps telling us, till today, that it was the most enjoyable vacation style for a young family. My sister was even younger than me, and in hotel vacations we used to get bored and cried and were just annoying - but on that boat, we were entertained all day long and slept like angels at night.

    So great for Henry to grow up with that opportunity!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maria!

      Oh I totally agree- the whole sleeping like an angel thing is SO true too. He took the longest, hardest naps and slept like a rock at night. It's that swaying of the boat!

      Lots of love to you! <3

      Delete
  6. This looks so lovely and relaxing! Also, do you use an app to edit your photos? They're great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie! And no, these are straight out of my iPhone! The only one I edited was the one of Hank at the top- I used Curves in PS to lighten it up. :)

      Delete
  7. I can't figure out why my iPhone never seems to take as good photos as everyone else's iPhones. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take like 20 to get ONE good one. So maybe that's it! ha!

      Delete
  8. Wow, awesome! Looks like an amazing getaway. - Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! :) It was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  9. this sounds like the best little vacation ever!

    xok Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! :) It was - I'm already missing it!

      Delete
  10. This looks like so much fun, Dani! We have always wanted to go. So glad you had such an amazing time away. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Tara! You guys definitely need to- you'd love it.

      Delete
  11. Wow you wasn't kidding the lake is beautiful looks so serene. I love the picture of Henry steering the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks seriously rad and I have another place to add to the list of places I want to go when visiting my in laws in Arizona. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now days Business Phone Service come packed with a lot of features. You can basically customize your business phone service to fit your business needs. When you see the features, you will know how your current phone system is not good enough. I have been using hosted pbx from Telcan. With this business phone service, I can customize the welcome greeting, route calls to multiple numbers, even program what phone number to call at what time, have a professional voicemail, get my voicemail emailed and the list goes on. It is very easy to set up using wizard. Check out Business Phone Service

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips