Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Phases, Stages.

Flagstaff 10/21/12

Happy Tuesday, everyone. You know what I was just thinking about? Tattoo Tuesdays! Were any of you fans of that feature? I have no plans to bring it back- it definitely ran its course- but I was thinking about it, and blogging, and all of the different stages and phases blogs go through, because when you write a personal blog, everything grows right along with you.

When I started blogging I had just made the switch from Livejournal, and I still kept a similar voice, although it wasn't as raw as what I wrote in my LJ. My Livejournal was a place I shared everything- I sometimes wrote 3 or 4 entries a day- but blogging felt a little different. I didn't have any (or many) readers when I started Sometimes Sweet so I would just go on and on, with no thought that anyone else may be reading. It's so interesting for me to look back at my archives. I half cringe and half marvel at my own silly naivety, but like I've said many times before, it's a beautiful thing to be young and not to know what's just around the corner...or what the hell you're even doing. Time went on and more people found themselves here reading my words, and I think I went through what a lot of bloggers do as I learned what I did and didn't want to share in this space. I figured out where I wanted to go with this blog and stumbled over lots of dos and don'ts, like and dislikes, all trial and error, and if you're growing and changing, I don't think that ever stops.

It's really a crazy thing to be able to look back at the past fourteen years of my life, cataloged and documented in one place or another. It's a weird little gift, wrapped up in an online package. We all change so much over the course of ONE year, that being able to just choose any day over the past FOURTEEN and see what I was doing, thinking, hoping, is wild. And it reminds me to focus on the real stuff, my days, photos of my family and things that are important to me, because in 13 more years it would be a real shame to look back and see so many years of a great story that kind of fizzles off into a haze of filler posts.

So this is a reminder for me, and maybe you, to keep it real. Keep writing and sharing and trying to capture all of the little bits you might someday forget, and to keep building a place you'll someday come back to and laugh and smile and think how wild it is, to have it all right here.

30 comments:

  1. Thank you! Thank you! I've found the momentum to start blogging again, writing in my personal journal again, to start expressing myself again. A positive and encouraging post is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, thanks for writing it. I totally relate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh LJ, I remember those days. I actually still use it for things I don't want to write about publicly but absolutely need to write out or I'll go insane lol. I still struggle with finding my 'comfort zone' in the blogging world. How much is too much or too little, I go through these phases and just save my archives and completely wipe my blog and start over although my current blog is here to stay and I started it as a personal photoblog but I'm gradually starting to realize it's not so much that anymore and I miss how it started but at the same time I felt like I was sharing a little too much so I made a little, private blog on a subdomain to I guess help with the posts I don't want publicly displayed.

    Sometimes it can be hard to stay true to what your real intention for you blog is/was because you can get caught up in the blogging hype so fast.

    But I agree, it's amazing to be able to look back and see how you've grown as an individual. :)

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for this wonderful words! And I´m so impressed how long you´re blogging, this means a lot of staying power <3

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    http://dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. I've only been blogging for 3 years but its still amazing to look back at old posts. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this reminder!! This is after all why most of us started blogging anyway, to capture moments of family life and not gain a million readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said :) Just off to check out tattoo Tuesdays ;)
    Rosie x | Every Word Handwritten

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this.
    I started following your blog because of tattoo tuesdays, I miss them but understand why they stopped. Your blog is always lovely to read and I love looking back at the first few posts on blogs and seeing how much the 'blogger' has changed. It's an awesome journey to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you've been blogging for so long...I'm not even sure I've been blogging for 13 weeks let alone 13 years-what a great record of your life to have though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started following because of Tattoo Tuesdays! I miss them each week, but if your heart isn't in it anymore - it isn't worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is exactly what I needed to hear, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh man, livejournal. I periodically go back to read entries on mine, see how silly (and actually totally awesome!!) i was at 19-23. I'm so glad I made all my entries private ages ago though... Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm still figuring out why i blog, what i want to share, and what i want my blog to be so this was a really good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful reminder. I'm usually tempted to just document the bigger things in life, but I'm amazed at how many small, important details of 'regular' days and weeks I remember so much more clearly after I've documented them on my little blog or on my instagram feed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So so true.
    It was really good to read that :)
    Natalie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. blogging has taught me to stop trying to be perfect..just try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved tattoo Tuesdays! That is when I started reading your blog. I'm growing a lot through my blog and loving it.

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so great that you've been blogging for 14 years! I'm relatively new to your blog (like found you about a week ago new), and I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this. I feel like blogs (none specifically, just in general) have become about sponsors and giveaways and monetizing as much as possible. I have a small personal blog, so maybe I don't count since I couldn't make a living off of it even if I wanted to. But what I want is for my blog to be a representation of my life, an online scrapbook of sorts because I can't get behind all that paper and glue business ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. As a "small," family-focused blogger, this really meant a lot to me to read. Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I miss Tattoo Tuesday.
    I still go back and re-read old posts. It's always nice to do something new...but it is also nice to have something to look forward to...and that was something I looked forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also miss Tattoo Tuesday! But yes...so much changes in a year, and our blogs evolve as we do. Keep on sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. excellent! amazing! Wonderful! This is exactly what blogging is all about, it was really great how you phrased it in such a way of "when you look back what do you want to see your blog was about" and for a long time I was feeling like giving up on mine because I wasn't getting sponsors and I didn't care that much about fashion/products/beauty, but I am so with you. Its about documenting life. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been blogging for 10+ years, but I'm hesitant to share those old stories. I feel like I'm not that person anymore, and after a 3 year "retirement" I came back to this old comfortable hobby last year. I still have those old entries, but I feel like after such a long absence, no one else needs to read those, especially after starting anew. But it is different for each person, and I can always go back and read my old entries myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh i LOVED Tattoo Tuesday! that's actually what brought me to follow more of your blog! but i understand -- blogs run through phases. i even look through my archive quite often actually! haha! it's nice to look back at old posts and when i look at some of mine, they give me certain feelings and emotions. small ones, but good ones. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I started following your blog because of Tattoo Tuesday!! I know you said you aren't going to, but why don't you bring it back? haha

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips