Monday, August 5, 2013

A Little World.

view from the pool- sun setting over San Diego

Every single morning when I wake up I already feel lucky in a way, lucky to have the day ahead of me, the hours stretched out, all the way until bedtime that night. Possibility. Choices. All my life I've been a little weird maybe, kind of hyper-aware of just how impermanent everything is, so I think about the fact that all we have is today's today, really. I mean, we have our yesterdays, but all of it rolls into today, you know? So today I wake up, today I decide to have a good day. Another one. And a long time ago, even if I wanted to have a good day, I couldn't. It's not always mind over matter, sometimes it really is easier said than done. But nowadays, nowadays I have that choice and I am able to make it. So I do, and I focus on all of this good. The loud, loud belly laughter from Henry, Hank's busy-ness in the morning that makes me smile, packing him snacks and lunch and getting him out the door, the just me-and-Henry time, deciding what we will do for the day. I savor the car rides we take. Lately The Beach Boys has been our soundtrack of choice, "play 'Daddy Takes the T-bird Away' again, Mommy." We grocery shop, we go on walks, we spend time at the park. Little bits of sunshine squeezed in before nap and after, all of our day fitting into those two blocks, leading right up until Daddy gets home, and it's a celebration every time. Counting down until his car pulls in, waiting at the window, then popping out, yelling surprise, waiting for him to put down the mail and his bag and his coat to sweep everyone up into a giant hug. These are the things I think about as I go to sleep each night, my head on my pillow, blankets to my chin. Counting the good things like sheep over a fence, one, two, three. Letting today become yesterday, rolling into tomorrow, and I feel lucky. So, so lucky to have all of these things that are so little in the big world, but so big in our little world. And so lucky to have a little world all our own.

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Very well put. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there,
    I'm Angelina from Malaysia. I found your blog through your cousin(?) Matthew's introduction when our paths crossed during his travels in SEA. I've been a follower since! I absolutely love your blog and it inspires mine. You're wonderful. I hope one day my blog can be as lovely as yours. :)

    xx
    Angelina
    http://www.angelkein.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelina,

      That is too cool! I have loved seeing all of Matt's photos from all over the world. And yes, he's my cousin- I adore him. So happy you found your way here, and I look forward to checking out your blog too. <3

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely perspective. Thank you for this, Danielle.

    xo
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Lacy. And thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  4. This was very sweet. It's nice to take a moment to think about all of the wonderful things that work together to make life what it is.

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cristina! And I agree- when I start to feel down gratitude always helps. Lots of love! <3

      Delete
  5. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing your sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what real and wonderful words... thank you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome. And thank you so much for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  7. I loved this post. I love the outlook you take on your life. When we treat each day like it's a gift, and that it's gold, life is much brighter. I think it's so special too, because Henry gets to be born into that perspective. He will grow up looking at life the way you & Hank do, and that to me is priceless.

    Brenda
    www.brendaabel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. I always love your writing and little reflections on life :)

    Beth // Sans Souci

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful post. I just spoke about how the little things matter on my own blog yesterday. In such a big world with so much to see, it is always nice to have those little things to hold onto and cherish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love what you wrote, really:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post, Dani -- and it resonated with me, so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful! I love your thoughts on life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this was wonderful. and kind of gives me a picture of sorts of what i want my life to be like one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, thank you for this. I needed this so much. I'm not a crier and this brought tears to my eyes. This has been the best year of my life with the birth of my daughter and I can't imagine it getting better. Thank you for letting us glimpse into your life and sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful post. It's funny how as we get older, we begin to realize how precious each day really is. Ive especially began to realize this the last year. I am so thankful for waking up each day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is exactly what I have been feeling the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love this so much, Dani.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips