Wednesday, August 7, 2013

September 22nd

It's so cliché, isn't it- at least in the blogging world...this obsession with FALL. I'll spare you one of the biggest clichés and not even dedicate more than this sentence to anything in the pumpkin spice latte family (I don't drink coffee), but I will say that always, without fail, once mid-August rolls around I start dreaming of all things Autumn, changing leaves, you name it.

I think it has something to do with growing up on the East Coast, in a small forest-y town that was filled with every season. Later while attending a bit of junior high and then all of high school in the Phoenix area I wasn't able to experience seasons at all- in that area of the country there's warm, hot, hotter, and then maybe a tiny bit chilly come winter. Sometimes. But after a lifetime of experiencing everything Mother Nature had to offer, it was always a bit of a letdown to see pumpkins only being sold in grocery store parking lots, or on dried up farms whose temperatures didn't dip below 70.

Later when I went away to college up north in Flagstaff I relished in the cold (freezing cold!) winter days and the very brisk falls. When everyone else was complaining about the hassle the snow brought, or the way September's chill seemed to slide right into freezing temperatures, I was celebrating any morning my breath would cloud into the cold morning air, and cheering at the sight of green leaves' tips browning in the changing seasons.

Now living in Prescott I feel like its such a gift to be surrounded by seasons! And so that's why maybe in August, I start to feel a little more excited than most people do when I think about the fact that September is right around the corner. Maybe it's because I had it for so long, then didn't, that I appreciate it so much. Or maybe it's just because Fall really is that magical.

There's so much about it: the simple memories of school starting again in September, new school supplies and backpacks, the changing leaves crunching underfoot, apple picking and hot, fresh cinnamon donuts, pumpkins and hayrides, hot cider, boots, layers, sweaters...the list could go on and on.

So today, I'm indulging myself during Henry's naptime, looking through old albums and daydreaming about this year's colder weather and colorful leaves. And the best part? We'll have a new little babe to enjoy it right along with us. So here's a premature Happy Fall...September 22nd isn't that far away, is it?

Family Photos, November 2011 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Halloween 2012 Flagstaff 10/21/12 Family Photos, November 2011 Halloween Festival 2011 Halloween 2012 Family Photos in Sedona 10/28/12 Halloween 2012 Flagstaff 10/21/12 Halloween Festival 2012 Flagstaff 10/21/12  Family Photos in Sedona 10/28/12 Halloween Festival 2011 Pumpkin Patch 2012 Halloween 2012

22 comments:

  1. I love Fall! Unfortunately moving to Santa Barbara from the Midwest, I don't get to experience it anymore. Don't get me wrong I love SB, but a good chilly night, snuggling by the fireplace is the best! By the way, your family is absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a perfect post. Now I am even more excited for fall than I was before

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say that once my birthday passes (it was the end of July), summer starts to feel "over" for me as I start getting excited for the fall. It's such a wonderful season, but doesn't often last as long as I'd like it to here in NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO excited for fall too! It's always been my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since we just moved to Massachusetts from Texas, I can't even handle my pre-Fall excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize how close we were to Fall until you mentioned it! Now you got me all excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm counting the days! I LOVE fall! Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful photos!! I love fall! We go to Starved Rock every year. It has beautiful colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Henry is the cutest cheeseburger I've ever seen!
    I am so excited for fall as well. Last year I was pregnant, miserable, and then recovering from delivering Logan all through Christmastime. I intent to enjoy it this year! This year means an interactive baby at the holidays.. she will be able to enjoy all of the beautiful things about fall. So so exciting!
    I love seeing pictures of where you live because I've only been to Tuscon and Tombstone in Arizona and they are not so pretty. It's nice to see how beautiful it is there. I appreciate seasons as well. I've lived in and around Los Angeles my entire life and dream of New York seasons. I love where we live.. we are so close to the beach or maintain getaways.. but we really don't have much seasonal beauty around here.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. that burger costume! so cute! and i agree...there is nothing better than the fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's crazy, I haven't really felt like this for awhile because I've been living in Texas for over a year. I JUST moved back home in New York and I'm becoming crazy obsessed with Fall now. I can't wait for the leaves and everything Pumpkin Spice. I can't wait to see the new baby, I am beyond happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm day dreaming of fall too. On a smaller scale, of course. Its hard not to when the nights are getting chillier. Canadian falls are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fall. I am the kind of person who loves ALL the seasons for some reason, but fall is my all time favourite because it's my birthday and I think it is very romantic how everything turns red and brown and dies after summer, just to welcome winter a few weeks later <3 It's amazing! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fall is my absolute favourite season! I mean who doesnt love a thick cable knit sweater with skinny jeans and a pair of brown leather boots on a daily basis?? Looking at your pictures has me so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute to see bald H when he has the sweetest hair now. What a doll. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fall is my favorite season, I've been waiting for it since the end of June! Henry is such a little sweetheart, I love these photos :)
    Amia
    www.teapotsandbelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I feel like I could have written this post myself! (Though not with the picture of the beautiful Victorian house... only in my dreams!) Fall has always been my favorite season, the time when I feel most alive. I love the smells, the colors, the bite to the air, the back to school shopping, new bags, new tights... I could go on. I grew up in Massachusetts and fall was essential, and in NYC at least it was *there*, with beautiful crips days at Central Park. But when we moved to San Diego, I was horrified by the lack of fall. There was this day late in October when we went pumpkin picking, and it was 95 degrees, and such a farce, and that was pretty much the day I knew I *had* to get out of SoCal. And somehow, I ended up in Vermont, fall-heaven.
    I've tried to put off my fall excitement, but your post totally undid my efforts, and now I'm totally craving it all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not ready for fall yet.. but I do know I will be by the time September hits. WE'll have a new babe for the fall too! Our son is due Sept. 17!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always loved Autumn, and I think my parents have the best wedding anniversary (October 24th - I want it!) I love noticing when the nights are drawing in. I'm not a summer girl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fall is my favorite too....I start craving it in July!!! I get married this November, so I'm more excited than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all, these photos are SO precious. Baby Henry! And soon you will have mister Charlie! So exciting! I am totally with you about the love of fall. My favorite season of all. I get so excited for it, I can't contain my happiness haha. This makes me want to do another fall love post like last year. Hurry up, September 22nd!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My husband and I fell in love in the fall, so it will ALWAYS feel magical to me :)
    We live in SoCal where there is really only a slight change with the seasons - I can't imagine how fantastic fall must be in Prescott!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips