Thursday, August 15, 2013

So here we are.

Henry's 2 year photos
photo credit: Emily Snitzer

So here we are. The last day of being this little family of three. I've been counting down until tomorrow for what seems like a year...and I guess it almost has been. But like I've said before, it's strange to be in a place you've imagined so many times. I felt this way when I graduated from college, and again from grad school. I remember sitting up there in the bleachers, at that very point in my life I'd worked to get to, imagined being at so many times, and then...just being there. It's a little weird, a lot exciting, and totally surreal.

These past almost three years have been so, so wonderful. I think of them like I think of the first years of Hank and me. We can't ever relive them, we can't ever get them back, and they are beyond special in not only their reminiscent qualities but in their simplicity. I think back to sleeping on a tiny twin bed in a closet-sized room, surrounded by hand me downs and things leftover from college days. There's beauty in that. That was almost 10 years ago, and looking back at those days, those nights when the heater in that old, old building would be out, when we just made enough to cover rent and bills, when we would sleep in until noon and stay up until 3...that was the beginning. At the time it didn't seem like "just starting out," but as you move through life and away from those first days and months and years, things last and you realize the life you've been waiting for is already happening- the beginning is what those times become.

And so I think back to those first days of Henry, that little newborn with the wrinkly skin, so tiny we weren't sure how to even hold him. Those powder-scented diapers, the miniature socks and hats and onesies. I remember those first nights feeling kind of lost, not knowing how I could even survive the next day on an hour of sleep. But I did. We did. And so those days and nights, the first days of being a family of three, they all faded into the next days, until suddenly here we are. Almost three years later, and one day away from welcoming in our second son.

The beauty of it all is that we never really know how things are going to turn out, or what life has in store for us. We don't always realize that the beginning of something great is happening until we're able to look back at it and see that yes, that was the first part of it all. And that's kind of how I feel now. I'm right in the center of our now, so many pieces of our story coming together to form this very time in our life, I'm able to look back at so many beginnings with this little family of mine, and I'm able to see a new one starting in just one day.

Here we are, here we go...


43 comments:

  1. Another huge step in your journey. Good luck! Hope the transition from a family of 3 to 4 is a smooth one for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how exciting! Good luck, can't wait to meet your new little man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! Best of luck, can't wait to hear that everything went smoothly! Sending love to you from England...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot even begin to imagine how excited you must be right now. I'm sending your family all the best wishes and lots of love for your special day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be SO excited. Good luck, I hope everything goes well. Can't wait to meet Charlie on the blog soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I'm so excited for you and your family!

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck and enjoy that first look into his eyes, it changes your heart forever

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you nothing but the best.
    Sending healthy energy your family's way.
    This post almost made me cry. My son is 3.5 and I feel the same way about when he was little.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautifully composed, so heartfelt and true

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this made me a little misty eyed. so well written...and so true.

    good luck to y'all on this new adventure! such a beautiful time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a special post! That's what life is all about--closing chapters while opening new ones. Congrats on writing a new chapter with your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a sweet post! so excited for you guys and cannot wait to "meet" the newest addition to your family :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck!! And (almost) congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck and sending good vibes your way for you and your little family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a way with words! Good luck with everything!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so exciting! All the best Danielle, can't wait to hear how it goes!
    Rosie x | Every Word Handwritten

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sending you lots of good thoughts for tomorrow! Beyond excited for you and your little family. Enjoy this last day as a family of three :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So excited for you! Sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. best of luck to you tomorrow! wishing your family many great, sweet, memorable moments.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful post. You couldn't have put it more perfectly! Thinking about you guys so much and sending lots of love your way. SO SO happy for you, this is going to be an amazing next phase. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Prayers for tomorrow!! SO much love to your sweet fam Dani!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a beautiful post. I wish you and the little one all the best tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on a second child and good luck! Today I definitely feeling time and beginnings - I found out that I got into my dream uni today!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I feel as excited as if this were my own baby boy coming !! I have a Henry too and I've gone back and forth on wanting a second child, it just doesn't seem possible for my family. I'm so excited to watch your Henry as a big brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so excited for your family, I can't wait! You and Hank seem like such wonderful, caring parents, I know these two children will grow up to be as amazing as you two are. I can already see that Henry is becoming such a gentleman!
    It's crazy to look back at the times you may have been struggling, but they're the best memories.. they're the ones you look back to and like to remember because it was the start of something so beautiful that is still growing to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'll be thinking of you, sweet friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't been on in quite a while and didn't know you were expecting a second baby. Very happy for you. Congrats and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love love love to all three of you. And love to the newest. xo, kc

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ill be thinking of your sweet family of four tomorrow! Good luck, Mama!


    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Danielle, I just found your blog recently and I've enjoyed reading your older posts. I'm happy for you and wish your family luck!
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. All the very best for tomorrow Danielle,so excited for you all,have loved reading your blog since way back when it was just you and hank,you have such a wonderful out look on life,can not wait to see your new baby boy,best wishes and will be thinking of you,amanda.{England}

    ReplyDelete
  34. absolutely love this post, dani! wishing you lots of luck tomorrow!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  35. The best of luck to your family! Sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good luck mama and family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such an exciting moment! Have a wonderful birth day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't even know how you are able to articluate such a beautiful story at this moment in time! I was set to induce my amazing, wonderful gift of a child literally one year ago today as well (8/16/2012 at 6am). I live vicariously through you and pray the absolute best for your wonderful family. Good luck, mama. I can't wait to read all about it. But, take the time you need!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. can't believe Charlie is going to be here tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm so excited for you! Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly for you. :)

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  41. wow that was so beautifully said. you're so very right about not realizing how certain moments in your life are so poignant when you are currently living them and then years later you look back at them with fondness. congrats on your second son!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips