Tuesday, August 27, 2013

To Two


Last night I was sitting up in bed. It was 3:30AM, and I was just finishing up feeding Charlie before I put him back down for another three-hour stretch of sleep. Hank was sleeping soundly beside us, Henry was asleep down the hall in his room, and our house was making its familiar nighttime settling sounds as the air conditioning kicked off and the overhead fan spun around and around. It was so quiet, except the tiny little noises coming from my nursing son, and in that moment sitting there, I don't know if I've ever been happier.

Besides the obvious benefits for baby and mother, breastfeeding for me is a true gift- it gives me, no- makes me, slow down and take time every single day to just be. And last night during that time I kept thinking about how lucky I am to be able to do all of this again. In life there are certain instances I think many of us look back on and wish we would have realized just how special they were. Maybe we would have slowed down, enjoyed more than we had, or even just taken a step back every now and then to truly appreciate the beauty of whatever stage or season we were in. And it's not like I didn't do this with Henry, because I did. But it's just that after those first couple of baby years were over and I finally caught my breath, I fully understood what all of those parents meant when they said "it all goes by so quickly."

But getting to do it again, getting to have this entire experience once more...it's so, so special to me. When parenting your second child, you already know how fast it goes. So when you get that second opportunity, I feel like you see everything in this new light. The first time around I was a ball of nerves- I was worried I would do something wrong, or I just plain didn't know what to do. But this time it's a lot different. I know that this newborn smell will be gone before I know it, and I know that the way Charlie likes to lay on my chest with his legs scrunched up like a frog will be over soon enough too. This time around I know to take a million photos with me actually in them, even if I don't feel like I'm back to looking like myself quite yet. And I know to take more time to sit and rock, and hold my tiny newborn, because even though I sat and rocked Henry as much as I could, now that that time is gone, in my mind it's of course never enough.

So this time around, don't mind me if I take a little time getting out of bed in the morning, getting more cuddles in with all three of my guys. I'll be pausing for an extra minute just to watch my sons, in awe of the brotherly bond that's forming more everyday, and I'll be spending any time I can with my newborn baby's head tucked into that little spot in my neck as we rock to sleep. Beyond grateful for this reminder to slow down and savor it even more, and incredibly grateful I get to do it all over again, but this time with my sweet Henry right along for the ride too.


38 comments:

  1. i love this. it's exactly how i feel right now with my two-year-old son and six-week-old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Lacey! :) I'm so happy you can relate.

      Delete
  2. Oh Dani, I can't wait! My due date is Thursday (The 2nd pregnancy ZOOMS BY SO FAST!) and I've been so curious as to how it will all go down, but more importantly how it will feel to have BOTH of my boys together at last. Our little Henry Robert was breeched up until last Wednesday, and so now we are just waiting patiently. Charlie's birth story (and Henry's for that matter) were a HUGE encouragement to me! Thank you for your honesty + guts! Can't wait to see your future posts and share in the excitement of what it means to have two boys that will grow up together catching lizards, making mud pies, and talking about dinosaurs and other boyish stuff! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana that is SO exciting! And I so agree...it totally ZOOMS! Thank you so much for stopping by. :) I am sending you a ton of happy birthing wishes.

      xo

      Delete
  3. lovely! parenting your second child actually goes by even faster because you are also sobusy with the eldest :) i can't beleive i'm almost through my (1 year) maternity leave already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm figuring that out! Time is flying. C is already 2 weeks today!

      Delete
  4. So beautiful and so true. The first time around, I was so excited for each and every milestone, eagerly watching her grow and change. The second time around, I enjoyed every moment exactly for what it was, savoring and appreciating it. It's incredible how each journey is so different and beautiful in it's own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, so true. I feel like I was obsessed with reading about everything, why this was like this, etc. And this time...we're just BEING. Love that. I love this "It's incredible how each journey is so different and beautiful in it's own right." Thanks so much for sharing, Olivia! <3

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You're welcome, Toria! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  6. So sweet. As a longtime reader, it'll be great to see your family grow together. Beautiful post, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica! I always appreciate your comments. :)

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to be a mother some day. Congratulations, again :)
    Rosie x | Every Word Handwritten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie you will be a great mama! Excited for you too. :)

      And thank you!

      Delete
  8. everytime I read your post like above, I feel tears running down my cheeks...but those tears are that kind of mystic, elusiv hapiness, they're good ones

    kisses for Your sons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Magda! I hope you're having a great day.

      Delete
  9. That was beautiful! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I can't wait for our second child, and I definitely feel like I will savor the short time they are tiny a LOT more. Congrats, and your family and hearts look so full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Adri! I appreciate you coming by and commenting. Love! <3

      Delete
  11. My eyes are filled with tears! So beautifully written. I agree and love everything you said about breastfeeding. The comment about taking pictures with you in them resonates with me, as well. You are my favorite blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Diana thank you! That means a lot to me. And speaking of breastfeeding it's so funny because although I loved it the first time around I didn't really treasure it like I do now. I'm just in awe!

      Delete
  12. Right now I am laying in bed with my son and feeling our second little guy tumble around in my tummy. I can't wait to have him here and experience it all again, you described it exactly as I envision it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a wonderful, special feeling. Wishing you all the best! <3

      Delete
  13. Even though my two are 19 years apart, this time I remembered to slow down, to enjoy all the little moments. Your eldest teaches you to be a parent, your second reminds you of the values of the first child's lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So gorgeous, words and photos. Congrats to you and your fam, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for writing this post; it's so inspiring. I'm sixth months pregnant with my second child (my first is 6 years old) and somehow you captured so much of how I feel about this chance to do it all again... I can get caught up in the crazy pace of life with a six year old and forget how important it is to slow down and really savor and just be. I mean, just like you said, I did last time too but there was so much unknown, so much brand new and uncertain, that things swept by anyway. I'm sure they will this time too, but your post reminded me how grateful I am to be pregnant again, to have another little one coming again, and the chance to be with all these moments anew.

    So congrats and thanks for the inspiring words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy it resonated with you! Your comment did the same for me - thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your thoughts! :) Thank you for the congrats too...and a HUGE congrats to you. You're in the home stretch to meet your second little one! <3

      Delete
  16. This is so right and so beautiful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Free Promotion of your Website, Facebook Page, Twitter, Google Plus, StumbleUpon, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes, Pinterest, MySpace, SoundCloud, Instagram and Much More Social Media Promotions. Just add your Promotion Link to this Website and Get Increase your Visitors, Page Likes, photo likes, photo shares Twitter Follow Tweets and Favorites, Youtube Views Likes and Subscribes and Much More.
    GetLikeFast.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips