Monday, October 28, 2013

A Ray of Sunshine and a Burst of Energy

IMG_6746

I was thinking about my boy this weekend. I mean, I think about him everyday (every minute, every second really), but I had a few moments to myself in the middle of a lot of moments full of family, and I got to thinking about our almost-three-year-old. To know Henry is to know a super spirited, funny, wild-at-heart boy. He's a ray of sunshine and burst of energy. He's serious in one moment, with his brow furrowed in concentration, lips pursed, and he's laughing until his cheeks hurt in another- that wide grin crinkling his happy brown eyes. It's still surreal to me that my first baby will be three in three weeks. I know I'll be saying this all my life, when he turns five and ten and thirty and fifty, but like anyone who has a child in their life, it's always surreal, and time always seems to fly by quicker than it did the year before.

So I just wanted to capture him today, right now, everything about him. The way he says "ganks" instead of "thanks," the chipped tooth smile that always melts me, the laugh he lets out when he's really excited about something. I want to remember his bedhead, the way he says "cuddle with me, Mommy?" with that little smile on his face, the scent of his hair after a bath and the way I can always, always make any boo-boo better. I never want to forget the way Charlie looks at his big brother, and the gentle and sweet way Henry is with him. The "Mighty Machines" song, singing the ABCs with his own flair, and the booty shake he does when he hears a song he loves. Henry right now is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (no crust), any raw veggie, and drink after drink of water. He's all about trains and trucks and puzzles, and he would love nothing more than to build forts all day long with his Daddy. He's a happy kid, a stubborn, head-strong, occasionally hot-tempered one, but most of all he the sweetest, kindest person I know, always wanting to make sure everyone is doing okay. His heart is so big.

Henry at almost-three finds joy in every bit of every day, from picking out clothes to crunching into a piece of crispy toast, and his laughs and smiles and funny stories keep us going. As I type this I could almost cry thinking about everything he gives to me- the things he's taught me and the way he pushes me to be better. Each morning when I get up I try so hard to be the person Henry sees me as, and at the end of the day if I've accomplished that, even a little bit, I feel like it's been a success. I can't even imagine what these next three years will bring.

I love you, H.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

39 comments:

  1. That´s sweet - and a good description of how we feel seeing our kids grow. I wonder every day how I can be so lucky! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? Being a mama is the best. :D

      Delete
  2. Beautifully composed, and so heart-felt.

    I especially appreciate that you shared the challenging behaviour as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much. I could share a lot more challenging behavior...my boy is the sweetest but can sure be a whippersnapper...but isn't that just how almost-three goes?

      Thank you for commenting! <3

      Delete
  3. That was so so sweet!! It made my heart melt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad! Thank you Chandler. <3

      Delete
  4. My boy is 19 now, but I love him with all my heart. He has a kind heart, hates the way I hang around in his bedroom, the way I dance in public. But we have lots of laughs,. Enjoy your boy, they are the best.

    Walk beside Henry and watch him grow into the gorgeous lad he will become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 19! Wow. I can't even imagine Henry or Charlie being 19 but I know it will happen all too soon. So exciting, and bittersweet. And thank you for your wise words Stephanie, I appreciate them more than you know.

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. My boy is 19 now, but I love him with all my heart. He has a kind heart, hates the way I hang around in his bedroom, the way I dance in public. But we have lots of laughs,. Enjoy your boy, they are the best.

    Walk beside Henry and watch him grow into the gorgeous lad he will become.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boy is 19 now, but I love him with all my heart. He has a kind heart, hates the way I hang around in his bedroom, the way I dance in public. But we have lots of laughs,. Enjoy your boy, they are the best.

    Walk beside Henry and watch him grow into the gorgeous lad he will become.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mighty machines. big and mighty machines. working for you, doing mighty things. they're.....mighty machines!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is so precious and sweet. When I read how you write about your kids it makes me so antsy to start making babies! I hope to be a rad, loving mom like you are!

    xoxo,
    Tara O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara thank you so much! I can't wait for you to have kids either...they're going to be ADORABLE.

      Happy Monday, friend! xo

      Delete
  10. sorry Danielle, not sure how I got three posts in and I can't delete them. steff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so okay! It's not letting me delete them either, but I will get to them when I get on my computer!

      <3

      Delete
  11. This is so sweet! I think it's always good to step back and enjoy exactly how things are right now every once in a while. We all get so focused on where things are going, but it's the moments now that really matter.

    Jamie @
    The Growing Up Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jamie! And I agree- sometimes life seems to speed on by and it's so nice to just stop for a second and take note.

      Have a great week. :)

      Delete
  12. This is so sweet! My boy is 3- I know that Mighty Machines song oh-so-well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! And I LOVE that you know the song. It's so funny the things we learn with our kids- I never even knew this show existed and now I can tell you the differences between every kind of truck. hah. I love it.

      xoxo

      Delete
  13. It's the daily and small things our little ones do that makes them unique and special.
    What a lovely little boy. He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thank you so much for stopping by, Kelly! <3

      Delete
  14. oh this is so sweet! aren't little boys the best! i love mine with all my heart. he will be 3 in dec (eek!) i cannot believe it. everyday he shows me something new and has pushed and stretched me in so many ways. there is nothing like being a mama to a little boy.

    check out my adventures with my bug on: www.whimsical-girl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree- and it's crazy to me to think I have TWO of them now. It's really fun to imagine and daydream of all that's to come. Happy almost birthday to your little one, too! <3

      Delete
  15. i was just telling myself to slow down this morning. atticus wanted to read more books, but we needed to get going for the day. but still, we snuggled a bit longer and read books for another ten minutes. it was the best ten minutes of my day. easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THAT. Such a good reminder to me too...to just slow down. Thank you:)

      xo

      Delete
  16. He is so cute! And this is such a sweet post about him. They grow up so fast and it is these little moments that make it the best. My 3 year old and my 2 year old are so different so I always have to remind myself to slow down, take in my surroundings and just enjoy the sometimes chaos that makes my heart melt. Now having a baby girl in the house makes me realize that each of them is so unique and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the perspective the second child brings so neat? I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's even better than I imagined. We are lucky to be mamas. <3

      Delete
  17. Holy Cow, he's starting to look so much like Hank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that SO much lately! I need to get out some old baby photos of Hank and compare!

      Delete
  18. This is a nice celebration of your little (not so little) Henry. ♥

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post is so precious, Danielle. I love how you've captured all these little joys and moments with your Henry. And since I've been a longtime follower of your blog I can honestly say that I cannot believe he's going to be 3!!! Such a big boy with so much personality!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet!! Such a great reminder to slow down, be more present, and enjoy those little moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. this was one of my favorite posts you've ever written - it made my heart burst. I'm so excited to have a little one someday!!

    http://6000milestohome.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's so sweet. I almost cried while reading it. X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a gorgeous post. I just wrote one very similar about my studley. Isn't it immense how much they make your heart just burst with love & pride, these lil princes of the world!!! Linked over from hayleyathome blog. Both really lovely reads & very inspiring :):)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have read this post three times already and still I cannot get enough off it. Especially the last paragraph where you introduce the idea to try to be the person he sees you as… that's just so perfectly put. Despite all the worries and challenges that motherhood brings, I think I'm going to try harder from now on the be the person my sons see me as and mostly need me to be in that particular period of their lives. Fascinating.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know how you feel..I have a daughter who will be four in a few months and the time just goes by way too fast. Henry is such a little cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips