Thursday, November 21, 2013

3rd Birthday Eve

typical morning
Driving home from the grocery store tonight, a huge number three balloon filling up the back seat, I started to think about how crazy it was, that I was driving home with a huge number three balloon filling up the back seat. Three. My baby is turning three. It's strange to have your life documented in such a way, that you can look back and see it all. Birth. One. Two. Videos and pictures, a way to relive it all. But no matter what, no one but me knows what it was like to have baby Henry put into my arms, to hear that cry, to be reborn myself, with the birth of my child. I could get lost for hours thinking about it, reminiscing in my own mind about how sweet it was to meet my Henry for the first time. And I thought about all of this, and I thought about today, and about how I have had the honor to watch this baby grow into this boy, and then into a big brother. And as I thought, my phone that was connected to Spotify that was connected to the radio in my car, shuffled to the next song, which just so happened to be "Never Grow Up" by Taylor Swift. Have you heard it? It's one of those songs that makes me cry every time I hear it, much like "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac. It just has that power. And of course, because I was already in the most nostalgic mood, it made me feel so sad and happy and weird and elated that Henry is turning three tomorrow. I cried and cried. And I'm not really sure why exactly I was crying- it was one part feeling sad about how quickly time goes by, another part sad that my baby isn't a baby anymore, and then happy tears too. Crying about how we're doing it, we're really doing it- raising this boy and doing it right, through the ups, the downs, all of it. And it's amazing.

Tomorrow morning my 2-year-old will wake up 3, and in a way, I'm turning 3 too. 3 years of learning how to do this whole parent thing, 3 years of loving harder than I've ever loved before, and 3 years of really coming into my own, not just as Mom, but a person. I don't know if I'll ever be able to thank Henry for what he's given me, but when I think back to the early morning of November 22nd, three years ago, I know that more than anything, he's given me the beginning of the most beautiful story. And most of all, through any sadness I feel about time and birthdays and change, I'm excited about all of the chapters yet to come.

Happy birthday, sweet boy. I love you so much.

 
Happy 1st Birthday, Henry! from DH on Vimeo.
 
 

21 comments:

  1. What a sweet sweet post. Standing on a train platform with tears in my eyes. My only child Maximillian makes me feel like that as well and he is now 19. He never stops amazing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and as we say in our house
      Hippo Birdie Two Ewes. Hope the day is awesome Henry.

      Delete
  2. And now I'm crying too... It's been such a pleasure following along with your journey. Happy 3rd Birthday Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how with each year your oldest changes age, you reflect on your becoming a mother anniversary? Happiest birthday to your bigger little boy. Happy mom-iversary to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Henry!! Such a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was perfect for me today. My baby turns 1 in less than two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sweet! happy birthday to him! it's been a joy to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I normally don't like Taylor Swift but that song is so sweet and I remember I ended up liking it because you introduced it to me months and months ago.

    Happy 3rd birthday to little man, Henry! and Happy 3rd anniversary of the first time you became a mama! I hope you have the most beautiful day celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet, happy third birthday to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Dani, I just cried with your beautiful post...Happy birthday, sweet Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Henry! Such a sweet post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so many tears! happy birthday sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing video! Happy birthday, sweet Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The song is actually "Hysteric" and it's by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. :) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that Henry had a great Birthday last week! It has been a joy to watch him grow up over the years through your blog. Thank you for sharing bits and pieces of your life with us. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started reading your blog right before Henry was born, and I can't believe this little guy is is already 3! It's been so sweet reading along with your little family as you've all grown. Happy (belated) Birthday HCHIV!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always always always cry watching this video T_T too sweet

    ReplyDelete